S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

So TIRED of hearing about the impractibility

Old 08-10-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default So TIRED of hearing about the impractibility

I hear about it from friends, every time, my "stupid" choices in vehicles - so impractical!

Yesterday after a 61 mile bike ride (in 90+ heat, not smart at our ages) watching them all stumble through loading bikes into the backs of SUV's or onto the roofs of Subarus. Heh - had my bike onto the S2000's hitch-mount rack and secured in <10 seconds, time left over to drop the top and away I go. And I'll get better MPG than all of them, stop and turn better (safer), and don't get me started on resale value. So tired of hearing about it.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I’m not certain what the point of this is.

Your friends sound like they simply didn’t have the best setup to load up a bicycle.

As far as safety goes, I’d rather be in a car designed in past 5-6 years than an open top vehicle designed during the Clinton administration. Not to say the Honda is unsafe, but maneuverability is only good to a point.

Fuel economy is a wash, most small SUV’s get around 23-26 in mixed driving, about what we will see in our cars. Mind you they will get to use cheaper 87 octane fuel.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Who cares about practicality. If you like it drive it. If they dont, they can ride with someone else :P

Using a bike to go 61 miles isnt very practical either, but it is fun! :P
Old 08-10-2018, 01:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Exactly. If it works for you go with it!
Old 08-10-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

A bicycle trailer hitched to a sports car? You’re bound to catch some grief over that. Simply put, sports cars are not practical. No big surprise, rarely are practical things much fun. In the case of the S2000 it’s definitely a worthy trade off.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:58 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
If they dont, they can ride with someone else
The inverse of this is the conclusion I'm making -- not ride with them. I hear about this every ride. I don't care if others don't like my choices, but why do they have to constantly point it out?

Originally Posted by GuthNW
A bicycle trailer hitched to a sports car? You’re bound to catch some grief over that.
Actually the bike rack plugs into the hitch receiver and works well. We do also have a 4x8 utility trailer, and a kayak trailer.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Sports cars are indeed not practical. Would I have one as my only car? Heck no. I don't have that problem right now.

I had the best combination of cars a few years ago ... for me. I had a 1996 Mustang Cobra, a 1987 Buick Regal Turbo T and a 2004 Toyota Tundra double cab 4x4. Good all around performer in the Cobra. Stupid fast show car with the Buick and all season capable truck that would haul and tow. Fast forward to present day. I miss the truck but only a few times a year when I have to borrow my dad's truck to haul. I like the Rav for the gas mileage and creature comforts and it is AWD which helps in Iowa. The Mustang has been sitting most of the summer because both it and the S2k are fair weather city drivers. I am new to convertibles that handle so I choose the S2k 9/10 times. Honestly, it makes the Cobra feel like a Mercury Grand Marquis. The Cobra used to feel like a good handling car when I had a truck but the S2k has spoiled me badly.

Done rambling.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I follow you now. I suppose the thing is that the other guys could have thrown a hitch mount on their vehicles as well but they did not have to resort to such a thing. With the lineup of cars you have, I'd personally call you the King of Impracticability. But note that while I would do so in a somewhat sarcastic, joking way, it would also come with the thought of laughing with you in mind (as opposed to laughing at you) along with a certain amount of admiration and respect (that type of stuff usually does not come across so well while typing words out for others to read).

If the other guys you hang out with are truly disrespecting you then my advice would be to find some new friends. What matters in this particular case is that you're happy with the vehicles that you own and how well they serve your own particular needs. Aside from seeking out new riding buddies, maybe the best thing to do would be to drop the top on one of your cars and go for a drive. The S2000 would seem appropriate in this particular case, but I'm sure that any of them would do just fine (awesome looking Tiger by the way).
Old 08-11-2018, 02:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have a hitch on an S2000 you should expect to get folks to kid around with you, I certainly would. My bet is 1 in maybe every 5000 of our cars have a trailer hitch.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Time for new friends....

Quick Reply: So TIRED of hearing about the impractibility