S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Soft top bar does not stay back after close the top

Old 04-26-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Soft top bar does not stay back after close the top

just replaced the soft top bought from eBay.
but now one of the 3 bars (the 3rd one from the front) does not stay where it supposed to after the top is closed.
Please see the pictures before and after.
It is MY00. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Soft top bar does not stay back after close the top-img_4973.jpg   Soft top bar does not stay back after close the top-img_4975.jpg  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should have replaced the bow straps... and possibly added one depending on what top you installed.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dakao
just replaced the soft top bought from eBay.
but now one of the 3 bars (the 3rd one from the front) does not stay where it supposed to after the top is closed.
Please see the pictures before and after.
It is MY00. Thanks
what he said... if you went from plastic to glass you forgot to install the straps (they are already installed on glass window tops)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Zivman
you should have replaced the bow straps... and possibly added one depending on what top you installed.
Originally Posted by miloking
what he said... if you went from plastic to glass you forgot to install the straps (they are already installed on glass window tops)
Both of you guys are correct, because I looked at MY05 and it does have the bow straps but MY00 doesn't . So the question is where I can get the straps? Apparently it didn't come with the top I bought. Thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dakao
Both of you guys are correct, because I looked at MY05 and it does have the bow straps but MY00 doesn't . So the question is where I can get the straps? Apparently it didn't come with the top I bought. Thanks

they are nothing fancy just black nylon woven belt strip about inch wide... bow bar needs to be drilled and strap riveted (make sure rivets are from bellow not sliding on roof!!!!) and botom half of the strap has hole at the end and goes thru the middle nut where thr rain gutter is

issue is you will need to remove the parcel shelve and the side trims all over again!
Same thing is waiting for me right now as i bought another s2000 and someone also installed the roof and forgot to attach bottom part of the straps
Old 04-27-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

If these are the same straps they're elastic not just woven fabric. Modifry sells a kit to replace them in the later cars that I'm betting will be easy to adapt to the earlier. You'll have to figure out where the holes are in the late frame and carefully drill them.

No need for any disassembly for these.

-- Chuck
Old 04-27-2017, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
If these are the same straps they're elastic not just woven fabric. Modifry sells a kit to replace them in the later cars that I'm betting will be easy to adapt to the earlier. You'll have to figure out where the holes are in the late frame and carefully drill them.

No need for any disassembly for these.
-- Chuck
I think they are these straps not the one you're talking about. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Soft top bar does not stay back after close the top-img_4969.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by miloking
they are nothing fancy just black nylon woven belt strip about inch wide... bow bar needs to be drilled and strap riveted (make sure rivets are from bellow not sliding on roof!!!!) and botom half of the strap has hole at the end and goes thru the middle nut where thr rain gutter is

issue is you will need to remove the parcel shelve and the side trims all over again!
Same thing is waiting for me right now as i bought another s2000 and someone also installed the roof and forgot to attach bottom part of the straps
Someone else installed my top, but it does sound like pain in the rear.
I see Majestic parts do carry those. Thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Our elastic straps fit all years S2000 and the only tools needed to install is a pair of scissors to cut off the old straps.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Modifry Products
Our elastic straps fit all years S2000 and the only tools needed to install is a pair of scissors to cut off the old straps.
Too bad that you don't sell the straps that I need for MY00.
But I do need the other straps that you have anyway..

Quick Reply: Soft top bar does not stay back after close the top