S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sold my S2K. Bought an Elise

Old 12-02-2016, 08:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sold my S2K. Bought an Elise

I had been obsessed with the Lotus Elise since I first drove one in 2006. In 2011, I needed a new car, and being in grad school at the time, couldn't afford an Elise. I ended up buying an S2K, almost as a concession. The car COMPLETELY won me over. i was living in Atlanta at the time, and I quickly realized what an incredible sports car the S2K was. That shifter! That handling! That build quality! Oh my god, what a car! I loved it. In 2013, I moved to Chicago and no longer needing a car, I sold the S2K. Looking back, I wish I would have kept it, and just stored it and used it as a weekend car. I almost bought another one in the Spring of 2015, and drove to Kentucky to do the deal, but at the last minute decided to turn around. It was a very tough call. In October of that year, I decided to move forward with a toy, something I could use on nice days and take to the track occasionally. I finally bought an Elise. The two cars are worlds apart. The Elise is an incredible piece of engineering and the ownership has been lots of fun. But in many ways, the S2K is the better car. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It has the finest manual transmission I have ever used, the top doesn't leak, you can actually hear the stereo and the seats are comfortable for long trips. I'm happy to provide to a more detailed contrast of the ownership experience if anyone is interested or answer any questions. Overall, I'm glad I bought the Lotus. I would have always wanted to own one, but the S2K is just SO good.
Attached Thumbnails Sold my S2K. Bought an Elise-20146741068_6629e87b91_z.jpg  

Last edited by Verichai; 03-26-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Congrats on getting your dream car!

I'd trade my AP1 for an Elise in a heartbeat, but nobody is going to offer that trade up
Old 12-02-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always wanted an Elise but getting in and out of one daily isn't my cup of tea, though it makes a hell of a track car!

My S2000 was supposed to be my stepping stone to something bigger and better, but so far it's been good to me so I haven't let it go yet. Still waiting for the right time to get a 911 GT3.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Yes, please give us more personal insights on ownership differences between these two great machines. Strengths, weaknesses, how they affect real world use.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice upgrade!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Any track time in either vehicle? Behavior at the limit/past the limit? Comparisons there as purely a toy car.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:24 PM

I never did take the S2K on track and never found it limits on the street. There were several times where I took highway off ramps way faster than what I thought would be possible, and the car didn't make a peep. It was my first RWD car, so I was pretty conservative as I got comfortable with it. Unfortunately I sold it before I ever had a chance to really explore it's limits in a safe environment. I remain a HUGE fan of the S2000. The Lotus, I have driven on the track and at it's limits. I had read that they can be prone to snap oversteer, but I have not had that experience. The car handles so incredibly well it seems to defy the laws of physics. The steering feel is the greatest of any car I have ever driven, and the steering wheel itself is perfect for my hands. If you overload the front tires at turn in, and you're not on the power, you get understeer as the front just pushes through. If you're on the power, the car lets you know exactly what's happening before the back tires give up and you get very controllable oversteer. I think where some people get into trouble is upsetting the car when it's near it's limits. For example, abrupt throttle, braking or steering inputs could throw the back end around in certain situations. I've also seen videos where a crest in the middle of a turn causes snap oversteer, presumable because the car is so light. I don't know if there is a better car for the track. I'm not aware of anything that offers a more pure and dynamic driving experience for the money spent. An MX-5 is a great value, and a lot of fun, but it's not a Lotus. A Porsche Cayman offers comparable balance with even more refinement, but the cost of consumables is significantly higher. It's been said before, but it's true: there is simply nothing else on the road like the Elise/Exige for the money.

In terms of the ownership experience, the S2K is a real car. I never had any concerns about using it, driving it in any weather, on any road, leaving it parked places. I always thought the styling was a bit understated, but the car was so solidly built, so reliable, so enjoyable to drive, comfortable, everything worked. It was just a total joy to own and drive. The Lotus is a different animal. I am very selective with where I drive it, where I park it, where I have it serviced. You need people who KNOW these cars. You can't just pull into Jiffy Lube. I've done all the work myself so far and it's been very easy to work on.

There are many more considerations. The car gets so much attention. People are always taking your picture and looking at you, it's a bit much if you're not into being the center of attention. Even a small bump in a parking lot means expensive damage to the clam. The car rides very low and the suspension is very stiff, so care must be taken on any bumps or road imperfections. The AC doesn't work too well, the top leaks in heavy rain, anything you put in the trunk risks smashing into the fiberglass from the inside and on anything but the smoothest pavement, it beats you up pretty good. The seats have very minimal padding and are not adjustable. But holy $#!% does it feel special. You've no doubt heard about the difficulty of ingress and egress. Honestly, this is one of my favorite things about the car. When you climb over that sill and drop down into the seat, you know you are in something special. When I was 25 and first drove an Elise, I would have taken one as my daily driver in a nanosecond. But having owned one, I now see how unrealistic that is for most people. It's just too extreme, gets too much attention, is too susceptible to damage, and too special to be treated like a Honda Civic. It's more like owning a motorcycle. You have to consider weather, traffic, route, and parking before you take it out. The nice thing is that it makes just about any other car feel like a Bentley Continental. It's all relative, I guess. That fact that a car like the Elise is even obtainable for mere mortals is one of the most impressive things about it. I have a special relationship with that car. I knew it the first time I dropped down into one and put my hands on that little Momo steering wheel. But if you love driving and you find yourself in a Lotus Elise on the right road, in the right weather...it might just be the most perfect form of four-wheel conveyance yet devised by humans.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:26 PM

Old 12-02-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it depends how far you go in taking care of your car. I treat my S like you do your Elise. I get super paranoid whenever I park it in public too. When eating out, I can't eat a darn meal with my back on the seat

I have a friend that has an Elise and it does get attention everywhere it goes. But man, that is one stiff suspension lol. I felt every little bump on the road. We went through a road under construction and it was hell. Other than that and difficulty getting in and out of the car, I think it's fantastic. Congrats on the ride!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Car and Driver did a comparison test that included S2000 and Elise. Much of what you said echos their evaluation. Which validates both of your assessments.

Many on here use their S the way you describe how an Elise needs to be used. Which to me is a real shame. What the S has over the Elise is its dd capability. The compromises it makes accommodate that ability.

Quick Reply: Sold my S2K. Bought an Elise