S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Some idiot girl hit my car and she don't have insurance?

Old 05-12-2003, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some idiot girl hit my car and she don't have insurance?

Any professional law people out there? I girl switched over without checking her blind spot hit hit my driver side door. She admits to it and her mom said she'll take care of it. Well the estimate was $475 to fix and now her mom says its too much and she'll only pay $200.00. So I was mad and called the insurance she gave me and they said that the girl driving was excluded from the insurance and they will not pay me and it's not worth going to my insurance. And now that I called the insurance the mother is mad and she won't even pay me the $200.00. What should I do now?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you get a police report? If not do it. In TX you have to have INS or you can't drive. Do you have anything in writting at all?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:09 AM

I think you're screwed unless you want to press charges or take them to small claims court. I remember years ago my mom was hit by an uninsured driving going the wrong way on a one way street. I believe she ended up paying out of pocket for the repairs.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely take it to small claims court because it should be illegal to drive without insurance. She probably has a bad driving record since she was excluded. I was also excluded in my familys insurance because of my terrible record. I once got hit at school and the girl had no insurance, but I did not go through her parents, but she started to say that it was my fault so I threatened to sue her and she gave in. Speak to any law office and just ask them if you have a case that is possible to win, just so you can let them see if they have a case and then tell the girls parents that you want to go to court.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:32 AM

It is illegal to drive without insurance so if the car had insurance on it, which it did, here's what I would do:

Call the parents and tell them that you are going to press charges unless they pay for repairs. Tell them it will cost them more to fight it than it would be to pay the $500 repair bill and on top of that, they will lose the case and still have to pay for your repairs or more. Then you call their insurance company and tell them you'll sue them because a car insured by them was involved in an accident and by law they are required to pay for damages, whether they have to get reimbursed from the policy holder by raising rates or cancelling the policy is their problem.

There is no such thing as excluded, the car has coverage, not the person driving it. I'm not on you policy, but If I stole your car and wrecked it, your insurance company by law would be responsible to pay any claims as a result. You and/or your insurance company would sue me and the rates would go through the roof, ect. but that's not the issue. The claim gets paid first and then the details are worked out.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:37 AM

Make a police report , press charges then take her to small claims court.

They may even have evening hours for court so you can avoid missing work.

Once her Mom's insurance company finds out she was driving the car that she was excluded from they will probably drop her and the girl will get a driving without insurance ding on her DMV record.

That should teach them to be honest in the future
Old 05-12-2003, 08:59 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sbeall
[B]

There is no such thing as excluded, the car has coverage, not the person driving it.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:43 AM

Uninsured motorist coverage in most states, including Texas, only covers medical costs that an uninsured motorist causes. Property damage is covered on your own collision insurance, hence the need to sue their asses to get his money back. Don't let those assholes get away with this. I would go to the police and see what help they might be able to give you.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Banned

Go after the girl and the parents. If it is the parents car and the girl is living at home then the parents are screwed. Sue their arse.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:28 AM

Your own insurance will cover it. Then they will go after the girl for payment.

Quick Reply: Some idiot girl hit my car and she don't have insurance?