S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Sound deadening + Hardtop Headliner (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/sound-deadening-hardtop-headliner-1194878/)

2wodior 06-13-2019 05:51 PM

Sound deadening + Hardtop Headliner

Has anyone ever put a headliner on their hardtop? I’ve been wanting to do a suede headliner, but I’m not to sure on the procedure. I’ve never seen anyone do suede before. I would really like to cancel as much of the s2000 in cabin noise as possible. Please let me know if you have any ideas as to lower the noise and a DIY for the headliner as well!

xxyion 06-14-2019 11:07 AM

I found what cancels the most road noise is Dynamat lining the inside of the cabin. My friend and I lined his S with Dynamat and it significantly reduced road noise. I have an OEM hardtop which comes with a leather lining and that isnt bad, but the noise comes from the bottom more than anything.

sam_spider 06-14-2019 12:53 PM

I have an alcantara headliner on my Mugen top, it has a foam backing on it as well. It cut back on road noise quite a bit.

I'd suggest taking it to an upholstery shop to do it as there's quite a few funny angles to deal with. I did not do mine myself, a previous vendor on the forum made mine.

2wodior 06-14-2019 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider (Post 24612628)
I have an alcantara headliner on my Mugen top, it has a foam backing on it as well. It cut back on road noise quite a bit.

I'd suggest taking it to an upholstery shop to do it as there's quite a few funny angles to deal with. I did not do mine myself, a previous vendor on the forum made mine.

Is there a certain type of foam backing that is used for headliners or is it universal? Would there be any alternatives instead of the foam?? pictures possibly?

2wodior 06-14-2019 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by xxyion (Post 24612595)
I found what cancels the most road noise is Dynamat lining the inside of the cabin. My friend and I lined his S with Dynamat and it significantly reduced road noise. I have an OEM hardtop which comes with a leather lining and that isnt bad, but the noise comes from the bottom more than anything.

how much dynamat did you use? did you do the door panels as well or just the carpet? how effective is using dynamat in the trunk?

cosmomiller 06-15-2019 07:36 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...sults-1085903/

zeroptzero 06-15-2019 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2wodior (Post 24612332)
Has anyone ever put a headliner on their hardtop? I’ve been wanting to do a suede headliner, but I’m not to sure on the procedure. I’ve never seen anyone do suede before. I would really like to cancel as much of the s2000 in cabin noise as possible. Please let me know if you have any ideas as to lower the noise and a DIY for the headliner as well!

When I had my oem hardtop the oem liner works so well it actually traps noise in the cabin that comes from other sources. The noise is not from the hardtop inwards. The oem liner works much like a rubber room, it traps noise inwards, it was something I didn't really like actually. When I moved to a Mugen hardtop I liked it much better with its hard surface on the inside panel, it allowed noise to escape outwards IMO, it just sounded better in the cabin rather than reflecting the cabin noise and trapping it inwards. All of the noise comes through the transmission tunnel, and firewall and trunk area it then gets trapped in the cabin. You can put a different liner on the hardtop for cosmetic reasons but it won't do anything to improve sound quality in the cabin.

2wodior 06-15-2019 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller (Post 24612789)

thank you!! great write up! very detailed as well. did you end up doing the trunk? how much more effective do you think the thinsulate was vs just the B quiet?

2wodior 06-15-2019 04:12 PM

Are there any differences between dynamat and b quiet?

hecash 06-15-2019 08:07 PM

FWIW, I did my entire passenger compartment with a Dynamat and anachoic foam (used in total sound elimination chambers) about 13 years ago and it still works great. I used the foam in the chambers behind the rear garnish and in the space above the fuel tank and spare tire in the trunk. I did not do the trunk area because I was satisfied with the result from doing the passenger compartment.