S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   spark plug TSB is now a recall (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/spark-plug-tsb-now-recall-76194/)

wanabe 08-10-2002 10:25 AM

spark plug TSB is now a recall

my dealer performed the spark plug TSB and indicated that it is now a recall...
they now replace the plugs with a different size plug. i dont have the old plug info anymore (they covered it up in my manuals with the new info- with stickers), but the new ones are:

NGK PFR7G-11S
or
DENSO PK22PR-L11S

does anyone know enough about spark plugs to recognize the diff between these and the ones that came with the car?
i wonder why they had to change...

S2K Power 08-10-2002 10:57 AM

I assume this only for OEM plugs right? If we replaced the OEM plugs with different ones we don't need this fix?

wanabe 08-10-2002 11:04 AM

Originally posted by S2K Power
I assume this only for OEM plugs right? If we replaced the OEM plugs with different ones we don't need this fix?
good question...
i would guess that you do need to change them, since they were put in to replace the old size plugs, and the plug size (?) has changed- i see that the new plugs have a different torque pressure than the old ones...
i assume that you need to make sure that your plugs are compatible with the new ones indicated in my previous post.

Utah S2K 08-10-2002 02:08 PM

Just got my recall notice today. The notice says it has to deal with the spark plug gasket. Original part number was: NGK PFR7G-11. The "S" means stailess gasket (per NGK data). . The recall says there is a possibility the engine light may come on due to misfire....guess they don't want to mention you can blow your motor ;).

Utah

wanabe 08-10-2002 06:10 PM

interesting utah...
they change the plugs and even make us chage the owners manual to reflect the correct plugs (new size). i know that the TSB said it was for gaskets, so its interesting that they are also changing the plugs!

airgate 08-10-2002 07:36 PM

Well this is exciting. The only other recall was for the seatbelt.:p :p :LOL:

yu888 08-11-2002 12:06 AM

i think they decided on changing the plugs all together with teh gasket ring to minimize future issues. i am sure its not that much more of a cost issue to just take care of it now, vs having to deal with bad plugs later.

I would think that those who already changed the OEM plugs with something else only need check the torque setting used (18# vs the 13# listed in the manual)

jelliotlevy 08-11-2002 05:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wanabe
[B]my dealer performed the spark plug TSB and indicated that it is now a recall...

jelliotlevy 08-11-2002 05:09 AM

That DENSO plug is PK22PR-L11. Let me not add to confusion by my bad typing.

jelliotlevy 08-11-2002 05:13 AM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
Just got my recall notice today. The notice says it has to deal with the spark plug gasket. Original part number was: NGK PFR7G-11. The "S" means stailess gasket (per NGK data). . The recall says there is a possibility the engine light may come on due to misfire....guess they don't want to mention you can blow your motor ;).

Utah

Ignore my posting. Thank you, Utah S2K. I think I took 2 Stupid Pills rather than 1 first thing this morning.