S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Spoon 4-pod brake caliper: close up pics

Old 10-18-2001, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe i should get a 20 or 30mm hub ring?
Old 10-18-2001, 04:55 PM

Hey... that's not as funny as it sounds!

I need to get a 20mm hub spacer kit so that I can fit my stock rims back on for the winter!
Old 10-18-2001, 05:43 PM

Spoon told me the reason that the bigger racing calipers were not mono block.
It's coz racing car's get maintenanced all the time, and calipers can be replaced . But if you put the sandwitched versions on the production car and run on it for many miles, the mono block has a bigger advantage in rigidity and lasts longer. Although the racing calipers are bigger, this might mean that in terms of rigidity you get on the track might not be that different from the mono block calipers.

What do you think?

And SPOON STICKERS! There is a BIG chance that you'll win if you enter,
coz I'm not getting many entries......yet!

cheers,

elnetti
Old 10-18-2001, 07:47 PM

Yeah, calipers that are two halves bolted together move a surprising amount under hard braking. Several millimeters if you can believe it. All F1 cars run titanium monoblocks, I believe.

Porsche is the only manufacturer to offer monoblocks from the factory, and hold several patents on the design with Brembo.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:55 PM
tze

curious -

and did you know the brembo on the new itr is also 2piece, as is the brembo kit for the s2k
Old 10-18-2001, 09:03 PM

Yes, all Brembo kits are two piece calipers, except for the cast monoblocks in the Porsche lineup. Their super high end calipers are machined monoblock calipers, I believe.
Old 10-19-2001, 08:15 AM

Can you get those calipers without the stupid logo on them?

Ugghhh, the last thing I want to do is buy a product and give the maker free advertising, not to mention that imo it looks really cheesy..

-John M
Old 10-19-2001, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by jnmunsey
Can you get those calipers without the stupid logo on them?

Ugghhh, the last thing I want to do is buy a product and give the maker free advertising, not to mention that imo it looks really cheesy..

-John M
I think it's less advertising than the fact that people really like to brag on how much money they've spent.

I don't mind it one way or the other, but you can probably have them powdercoated yourself. I certainly think blue calipers on my red car would look a little funny.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:13 AM

Does these caliper takes stock brake, or you have to spoon floating rotor? The pad doesn't look big on these things. How much and what is the availability of the pads for these calipers?

I can get Porsche 911 (993) Turbo calipers for $500 a corner. All I have to do is to make a titanium bracket for the car. ($80 for the raw material per corner). Another $150 titanium material for the center hat. $200 max for the disk. That is less than $2000 for the pair. and, I can pick up pads in my local Porsche dealership or get race pads easily on line.

A word of advice, you have to spend a lot of money on all big brake kits. The only difference between the big brake kits are availability of the pads and kind of compound they are in. I don't know anything about Japanese calipers pads availability. I can assure you I don't want to spend $200 a pair and wait almost 1 month for the pads to arrive.

For example, I have AP Racing Caliper for my BMW. The caliper is very popular among all the race teams. So, there are lots of pads and compound available for my caliper. Get this, I can get PF-90 pads for my AP Caliper for less than $90 a pair. I can get them in 3 days. and, almost all the race shops have them in stock. If you going to track you S2000 a lot, I suggest you to look else where is pads for spoon caliper are hard to find.
Old 10-27-2001, 03:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the HRE 545 18" wheels on the way. 18x10.5 rear and 18x8.5 front. Will the spoon monoblock calipers fit without alteration?

Quick Reply: Spoon 4-pod brake caliper: close up pics