S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Sports Cars Forum Members Considered Before the S2000 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/sports-cars-forum-members-considered-before-s2000-1186619/)

Curated Content Editor 07-19-2018 11:54 AM

Sports Cars Forum Members Considered Before the S2000

Sports Cars Forum Members Considered Before the S2000

Even if you're a loyal S2000 owner, chances are you considered similar cars out there that caught your eye, before finding the right Honda. Check out some of the cars that forum members say they almost bought or used to own before buying the S2000.

By Edsel Cooper - July 19, 2018

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...d0f4dca762.jpg

gerry100 07-26-2018 12:07 PM

In 09,We were looking for a used Boxster/M3 at a dealer when I noticed an S2000 that had just been traded.

Took it for a test drive and it changed our thinking.

Didn't buy that one, but got our 06 a few months later

Anualmix 07-26-2018 11:07 PM

M3 E46 / Boxster 986

IA-SteveB 07-27-2018 04:58 AM

I didn't consider any other. I told myself that if I ever do get a pure roadster sports car it was going to be the Honda. I'm a nut for handling and like originality so this was the only car for me since I had no modification plans.

Car Analogy 07-27-2018 05:57 AM

Finally, a Curated Content thread that doesn't totally suck!

I still don't like the Top 5 format, and I didn't agree with some of the reasonings in each slide. But this is so much better than the recycled junk from other forums that doesn't apply here that we usually see.

Though ironically, I wouldn't be surprised to learn this was actually recycled junk, but that for once is applicable here...

VashTheStampede 07-27-2018 06:11 AM

Boxster, 996 911 with the IMS issue resolved, new miata, new BRZ... the usual suspects. I'm not sure if the S2000 was better than all of them, or if I just nostalgia'd hard. I remember going to the Cleveland Auto Show in 99 or 00 and sitting in a NFR S2000. The seat didn't adjust, and for years I didn't think I was short enough to fit into one. When I finally realized that I was able to fit, my goodness, had to have it.

Jay2000 07-28-2018 09:13 AM

I had a 99 miata but have always had acura/honda cars. Had a 92 gsr as my daily, once the s2000 came out the Miata went away.
Kept the gsr as my daily.

Mr.Matchbox 07-28-2018 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB (Post 24492698)
I didn't consider any other. I told myself that if I ever do get a pure roadster sports car it was going to be the Honda. I'm a nut for handling and like originality so this was the only car for me since I had no modification plans.

:iagree:

Euro_Ricer 07-29-2018 07:17 AM

911 is my forever car but want something manual. Cross shopping 2015-2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT with 6 speed manual and S2000's currently. Considered Cayman/Boxster but I'm a car guy and not a Porsche guy. The Vantage is more of a British hand built Mustang than anything. it's still in the running and I think that with the new AMG drivetrain the old manual cars will be the next air-cooled 911 wave. BTW - you don't have to be "rich" anymore to get into an Aston.... 40K for a NICE driver example up to 75K for a pristine, <5K mile example. Of course I'm talking specifically V8 and only looking at manual. 75K is not chump change but it's less than a new M3/4 now days.

The S2000 is getting most of my attention because of how cheap they are to buy, own and tinker with as well as how accessible they are to work on. I laugh when I hear people say a 2K exhaust is "baller." The baller titanium exhausts for 911 are >10K.... Want to go aftermarket coilovers? 6K. Clutch in an Aston $7,500. The Aston is definitely more the eye candy but part of the reason for wanting to supplement the 911 is to have more accessible fun on public roads that I don't have to stress as much about. I'm OCD about maintaining all of my cars and even though it's "just" an S2000.... it will get proper care as if it were an exotic. Unless you just HAVE to have a V8 and like torque - there's really not more driving fun to be had at any price point IMO. I got the high hp/tq out of my system as it's not really any fun to actually drive after a couple acceleration runs in a straight line. For 15K in aftermarket an S2000 can be a greatly sorted car with 99% of the work done in a driveway with a jack and basic hand tools. That's barely enough to cover a set of headers, exhaust and tune on the Porsche or Aston and not enough to get some brands.... All that coin and still ask yourself - which car is going to be more FUN to drive and the field narrows [for me] to an earlier Boxster or an S2000. Knowing I want to wrench, the S2000 is a clear winner for a street car. For a dedicated track car, I'd personally still go Miata or just get a Radical.

ssbfgc 07-29-2018 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer (Post 24493505)
911 is my forever car but want something manual. Cross shopping 2015-2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT with 6 speed manual and S2000's currently. Considered Cayman/Boxster but I'm a car guy and not a Porsche guy. The Vantage is more of a British hand built Mustang than anything. it's still in the running and I think that with the new AMG drivetrain the old manual cars will be the next air-cooled 911 wave. BTW - you don't have to be "rich" anymore to get into an Aston.... 40K for a NICE driver example up to 75K for a pristine, <5K mile example. Of course I'm talking specifically V8 and only looking at manual. 75K is not chump change but it's less than a new M3/4 now days.

The S2000 is getting most of my attention because of how cheap they are to buy, own and tinker with as well as how accessible they are to work on. I laugh when I hear people say a 2K exhaust is "baller." The baller titanium exhausts for 911 are >10K.... Want to go aftermarket coilovers? 6K. Clutch in an Aston $7,500. The Aston is definitely more the eye candy but part of the reason for wanting to supplement the 911 is to have more accessible fun on public roads that I don't have to stress as much about. I'm OCD about maintaining all of my cars and even though it's "just" an S2000.... it will get proper care as if it were an exotic. Unless you just HAVE to have a V8 and like torque - there's really not more driving fun to be had at any price point IMO. I got the high hp/tq out of my system as it's not really any fun to actually drive after a couple acceleration runs in a straight line. For 15K in aftermarket an S2000 can be a greatly sorted car with 99% of the work done in a driveway with a jack and basic hand tools. That's barely enough to cover a set of headers, exhaust and tune on the Porsche or Aston and not enough to get some brands.... All that coin and still ask yourself - which car is going to be more FUN to drive and the field narrows [for me] to an earlier Boxster or an S2000. Knowing I want to wrench, the S2000 is a clear winner for a street car. For a dedicated track car, I'd personally still go Miata or just get a Radical.

We got it. You have a Porsche and it’s a 911. You coincidentally drop this in every post. Can you move on now?