S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sports Cars Forum Members Considered Before the S2000

Old 07-29-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc

We got it. You have a Porsche and it’s a 911. You coincidentally drop this in every post. Can you move on now?
It's what I have to compare too. Be happy that you have a car that others lust for because it's a great car and not simply for some sort of perceived status. This specific thread is about comparing the S2000 to other cars. Surely there is interest or the thread wouldn't have been posted by someone [ other than me ].
Old 07-29-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc

We got it. You have a Porsche and it’s a 911. You coincidentally drop this in every post. Can you move on now?
Seconded. I’m glad that he’s decided to tell us S2000 owners about how little we know about real motoring.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had two Triumph TR4s when I was in college and just out of college back in the late 70s. Loved driving the cars--when they ran. Fast forward to five years ago. The kids are out of college, off my payroll and I want another TR. My son and I looked at a couple of TR6s and I realized that TRs are now just rustier and still have the same underlying mid 1950s engineering as in 1979. Although I love the wood dash and Jaeger gauges of the classic TR4 or TR6, I wanted a sports car with the same feel and modern reliability. I looked at Miatas and Z3/Z4s, but decided on a S2000. 911s were nice, but, a bit out of my league for a newer one. I found a very stock and well cared for '06 with 28K on the clock. She even had new tires. One factor was the experience we've had with Accords since 1985. They are just bulletproof. at this point in my life I'd rather drive than constantly repair. In my mind the S2000 captures the feel of old TRs and MGs with modern reliability. Ok, the TRs were a bit torquier, but I'm liking it when the VTEC kicks in.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I own 2 Triumphs. A TR7, stock & now beautifully restored, & a TR8 equally well restored, but with a 330 BHP 4.6L replacing the 3.5L, & the rest equally upgraded.

I was not prepared to park these in shopping centre car parks, so went looking for a daily driver that could still be enjoyed. I bought a 2005 MX5, [Oz for Mitta], & sold it a month later. Bought a Peugeot 306 convertible, & gave it to a daughter after a couple of months.

I tried a Porsche, but felt like a poser in it, tried both Z3 & Z4 BMWs, but did not like them. I was about to give up & buy a sedan, when a mate suggested an S2000.

Out here in the Ozzie bush, miles from town, & about 80 from the nearest Honda dealer, I had only heard vaguely of the S2000, & never seen one. It took about 5 miles in one to know I wanted one, & found a 17000 miles beauty. It took only a few months & the first shopping trolley ding for me to decide it was too good for daily driving.

It now lives beside the Triumphs in the shed, under a sheet, doing just a few thousand miles a year, but very much enjoyed miles they are.

So I gave up, & drive an old Mazda shopping trolley for trips to town, but an so glad that mate knew more about the S2000 than I did.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by spad124
I had two Triumph TR4s when I was in college and just out of college back in the late 70s. Loved driving the cars--when they ran. Fast forward to five years ago. The kids are out of college, off my payroll and I want another TR. My son and I looked at a couple of TR6s and I realized that TRs are now just rustier and still have the same underlying mid 1950s engineering as in 1979. Although I love the wood dash and Jaeger gauges of the classic TR4 or TR6, I wanted a sports car with the same feel and modern reliability. I looked at Miatas and Z3/Z4s, but decided on a S2000. 911s were nice, but, a bit out of my league for a newer one. I found a very stock and well cared for '06 with 28K on the clock. She even had new tires. One factor was the experience we've had with Accords since 1985. They are just bulletproof. at this point in my life I'd rather drive than constantly repair. In my mind the S2000 captures the feel of old TRs and MGs with modern reliability. Ok, the TRs were a bit torquier, but I'm liking it when the VTEC kicks in.
Ditto. I'm on the down slope. I wanted a car that would give me what I love about the old english sports cars but in something that is reliable and maybe a touch more performance. The S is the car I landed on immediately once I decided not to get another english roadster.

Last edited by rpg51; 07-31-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

When I was 26 I went out and bought a brand new WRX, then when I realized my 20s were waning I decided to let the boy racer in me take over and traded that in for a brand new STi. Drove it for 2 years and traded it in last summer for a 2010 Civic Si knowing that I was making the sacrifice so I could have just a daily beater and a fun car, the s2000 being the goal. Met a buddy at a car show that I hadn't seen in a while, showed up with a comptech supercharged Ap1 and I just knew I had to have one after going for a ride in it. Gifted myself my first "real" car for my 30th birthday, 02 s2k, first rwd car I've owned. Right now just trying not to crash it lol
Old 08-01-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was considering these cars in order of price until I eventually ended up getting purchasing my AP2. I think I made the right choice. I come from owning two first gen Miatas, a WRX wagon, a 300ZX Twin Turbo

$15K S2000

$25K Cayman S (987)
$25K-$30K Z4 M Coupe (I honestly would probably prefer the ‘Z3’ M “Clown Shoe” coupe, but the ones with the S54 seem to be in the $35K-$45K range, which is too much in my opinion).
$30-$35K Lotus Elise
$35K C6 Z06: Though they have held their value well, probably the best performance on the list, and one of the best performance bargains out there. I like the idea of V8 low-end torque and have never owned a V8 before. Crap interior for the money - Possibly too much power for the street? Is this past the point of diminishing returns with power on a street vehicle where one of the lower-powered examples above might be more fun?
$35K CTS-V Coupe (Gen 2): Love the idea of low-end torque and sleeper aspect. Would be a strong dichotomy from the Miata in nearly every way. Concerned about the heavy weight compared to the other cars on this list (Does it feel like a boat?). Is it, like the Z06, also too fast for the street? If I could find a low mileage CTS-V Wagon for $35K (in manual), that would be no-brainer for me.
$40K-$45K Gen 1 ‘90-’95 NSX: Dream Car
Old 08-03-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

An Elise, but I chickened out - I would have gone mad dealing with the fragility.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned probably 35-40 vehicles over the past 10 years. I used to buy/sell/trade/flip very often. The S2K (and Honda's/Toyota's in general) definitely have earned my interest and business for life. There's just something about how well built they are. I've owned a built '94 Mustang, built 2000 Camaro Z28, a MINT Mazdaspeed Miata, C5 Corvette, several other NB series Miata's, and the list goes on. For a sports car, nothing does it for me like an S2K, and I have spent significant amounts of time around anything from 60's muscle all the way up to exotics, featherweight LS swap cars, you name it. The S gave me a new appreciation for automotive engineering. I could go the rest of my life and be happy with the S, an old Tacoma, and my wifes current 4Runner. To me, this is as good as it gets. I respect all vehicle enthusiasts and fully understand everyone has their own "thing", I'm just glad I found MINE.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by hdmac07
I've owned probably 35-40 vehicles over the past 10 years. I used to buy/sell/trade/flip very often. The S2K (and Honda's/Toyota's in general) definitely have earned my interest and business for life. There's just something about how well built they are. I've owned a built '94 Mustang, built 2000 Camaro Z28, a MINT Mazdaspeed Miata, C5 Corvette, several other NB series Miata's, and the list goes on. For a sports car, nothing does it for me like an S2K, and I have spent significant amounts of time around anything from 60's muscle all the way up to exotics, featherweight LS swap cars, you name it. The S gave me a new appreciation for automotive engineering. I could go the rest of my life and be happy with the S, an old Tacoma, and my wifes current 4Runner. To me, this is as good as it gets. I respect all vehicle enthusiasts and fully understand everyone has their own "thing", I'm just glad I found MINE.
We are pretty close in regards to cars!

We still have my wifes 01 4Runner (because it rocks and now is my winter car.) and bought her a '13 Tacoma. I also still have the 05 Scion tC I bought new (only car I ever purchased new). My Toyotas have never let me down and I likely will own more of them in the future.

And I do not plan on ever getting rid of the S, as it could possibly satisfy my sports car urge for years. But I do also know that I will own more cars, even if not getting rid of the S.

In terms of other sports cars I thought about buying?
MR2 - But I wanted for autox and never found a good hard top one before I came across the S2000
MR2 Spyder
Vette
STi

I was not actually looking for a car when I got the S, but it just kind of happened. Glad it did though as I think I would have enjoyed most of my other interests a lot less. Overall it has just been a fun car and everyone who rides along at test autox events ends up very interested in one. And those I have actually let drive it in autox have all said they loved it and one has already bought one A guy that rode in it with me at this past weekends practice event went and bought one the next day (or at least committed to buy it .. purchase is in progress).

I may look at something more competitive as the S falls back in STR (mine is an AP1, so I was already not driving THE car to have in STR, but still a good one!) but not as a replacement rather than an addition to the fleet. But otherwise, my future car purchases will be more along the lines of just cool cars, rather than purpose use sports cars. A Datsun 510 is on the list, 70's era celica, etc.

I tend to like a lot of Japanese cars if the list has not already demonstrated that. But I do like old American muscle as well. A CAM build would be fun I think, but hard to see myself autocrossing a non roadster for now. So at some point an old C10 pickup, or something of that nature would be cool as a project.

Quick Reply: Sports Cars Forum Members Considered Before the S2000