S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Stall-like shake when clutch is depressed

Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall-like shake when clutch is depressed

When I am driving, let's say 10 mph in 1st gear, and I press the clutch when I am going to a full stop, right as a press the clutch, the revs drop too low, to below the idle speed, and the car has this "almost stall-like shake". This happens occasionally whenI depress the clutch for more than an instant, regardless of the gear I'm in. It feels like the car is about to stall, but right when the revs dip down it goes back up to normal. So the "shake" only lasts for about a second. I took my car to the dealership, and the guy said I might need a new clutch within the next 1000 miles or something.

Is this true? Should I be concerned? Has this happened to anyone else?

(I drive a 20002 with 24,000 miles and it's on its first clutch. I drive the car like a baby, so I couldn't have ruined the clutch in this amount of time, so if it does need to be replaced, it must have been the previous owner.)
Old 07-15-2005, 07:40 AM
WPS

happens to me at random times, not too frequent. i think it's normal
Old 07-15-2005, 10:42 AM

I had this problem also. I think when I adjusted my valves the problem went away.

I dont think your clutch can cause this problem.

Aaron
Old 07-15-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Neely,Jul 15 2005, 12:31 AM

(I drive a 20002 with 24,000 miles and it's on its first clutch. I drive the car like a baby, so I couldn't have ruined the clutch in this amount of time, so if it does need to be replaced, it must have been the previous owner.)
my car actually does the same SOMETIMES but its not your clutch because i just got mine replaced and it stil does it.. but then again your car might be different since its a 20002 model
Old 07-15-2005, 11:14 AM

mine does the same thing, but it sounds like it happens more to me than you guys. how much would it run me to get my valves checked?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:17 AM

Mine does it -but i ignore it!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:29 AM

Mine does this on occasion also, it's like the car shudders when you press the clutch.

So this could be a valve thing??
Old 07-15-2005, 11:57 AM

[QUOTE]I had this problem also. I think when I adjusted my valves the problem went away.

I also had the valves adjusted two months ago and it fixed it for a while and now the problem is back.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:15 PM

If you were to look for these symptoms in the "Under the Hood" section, you would discover that in fact the problem lies within your ECU. Your car is constantly teaching itself how to adapt to its environment, and as the environment changes (ie. Season, location, weather, anything) so do your car's needs.

If you are having this problem consistantly, you might need some new electronic components but there are two things that have the highest correlation with what you are experiencing: The MAP sensor and the ECU. Neither of them are broken, but you might want to give the MAP sensor a Whack (see: MAP Whack in the search).

As many have suggested, don't give your car more gas when you think it's about to die. This just "confuses" the ECU, which is trying to learn how to deal with the environmental change.

Let me guess: Has it been hot(ter) outside lately? Have you been running the air conditioning? You have nothing to worry about, and you definitely don't need a new clutch.

Check out more information Under the Hood.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by narcosis,Jul 15 2005, 12:17 PM
Mine does it -but i ignore it!
yeah, me too, i just thought it was normal.

Quick Reply: Stall-like shake when clutch is depressed