S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tell us your S2000 story

Old 07-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My story is going to be pretty short seeing I just got the car 6 months ago.

I had a 1994 honda del sol Si that I bought in 2000. Over the years I modified it with intake, header, exhaust, rims, suspension, etc..
did alot of shows with it and always got 3rd and 2nd place. The paint was in pretty good condition. well the infamous rust started showing up near the rear drivers side fenderwell. The paint was starting to fade on the hood and dents and dings seemed to show up every time i looked at the car. It was going to cost me $2800+ to fix all the body and paint.
So i decided to get a newer car and sell mine.

well over the past winter I started to look for an S because ever since they came out I said I was going to buy one when I could afford it. I found quite a bit of them seeing it was winter and people were selling them.
a friend of mine wanted to sell his which was a black with black rims, red int., carbon fiber int pieces, intake. I told him I wanted to buy it cause I knew him and what he did to the car. But a part of me said that i didn't want to do the whole modifing thing again so I kept looking. well I found a yellow S in NH for a really cheap price plus with a certified warranty. It was the same price that my friend was selling his. So i called the dealership from work and told him that i wanted to come by and see the Yellow S. Now i'm not much of a yellow fan but when he pulled the car in front of the dealership, The yellow grew on me so fast. I don't mind standing out. So i took it out and Loved it. took some back roads and then got it on the highway and thats when i deff made the desicion when Vtec kicked in. My del sol was a SOHC Vtec but didn't kick like this. So we went in and did the paperwork and I wanted my payments to be in a certain place and he told me that i would have to put some money down. I told him I wasn't sure if I had any to put down and that i would go home and think about it. So the next night he calls and gives me a certain # to put down and I said that would be fine. Well fast forward a few days and I would be at work waiting for him to call me because I had limited credit. I was getting alot of No's from banks and I thought my dream wasn't going to come true. well it did and the car was mine.

Now instead of being able to go down there and pick her up and bring her home, I had to wait for the title to come fron Honda in Texas. Seeing that it was around Xmas and new years I had to wait for a few weeks. Oh the insanity. at least they were nice to let me take it out and not let it sit and build the rust on the brakes. Well a few days after new years the title came in and I booked it up there and brought it home. I love the car still like the first day I bought it. Going to shows and winning first place makes it alot better too. The dealer was even nice to make my first payment. Being patient and nice sure pays off in the end.

I hope my story wasn't confusing. I tell storys better in person then typing them.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:31 PM

Back in October 2004, I fell greatly in love with the 2004 Acura TSX due to the car's refinement, bang for the buck factor, and its reliability. Plus, it was a beautiful car. I wasn't able to drive stick, but ordered manual anyway and learned on the TSX. The car was impressive to say the least and I embraced every aspect of it. Though people find the TSX underpowered, I believed it was sufficient enough for a sporty sedan.

However, in the thick of my beautiful relationship with the TSX, the transmission was giving me tons of problems. My car lliterally visited the dealer on average of every 5 weeks. Once for the center console blowing out, twice for the gears popping out, once for the wheel beareing, once for the intermittent squeeking seats, once for the jet washers, once for tail light recall, and finally for the squeeking windshield.

Because I was driving loaners most of the time, I thought it would be best to dump the TSX for another sedan before the expiration of the warranty, and coincidentally through a link on one of the Acura forums, I landed on this site, fell in love, researched the car, read reviews, and immediately went for a test drive. I searched intensely for the GPW/TAN combo, but it was a hard commodity- and if there was one, it was more than 300 miles away. Anyway, after visiting many Honda dealerships and private dealerships, there was a 2002 Sebring priced at a bargain so I went in for a test drive and signed the paper the next day.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:36 PM

my story is simple, i needed a reliable slow daily driver not to mention top down is nice.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After totaling my Prelude I was pretty shaken up, and sold on Honda safety, so I bought a new 2003 Accord EX Coupe. After about 6 months I was bored with it. At that same time I was playing with lease figures on a CPO'd Boxster we had in stock at the time (I'm a dealer) and found a way to get my payments lower than the Accord. The owner of the company (my grandfather) did not approve of me owning a Porsche at my young age, so I started looking at other cars: Audi TT, Jaguar S-Type (don't ask), then a Toyota Supra. I got so pissed off at the asking prices on Supras I lost interest, then one of my coworkers (a S2000 owner) took me out for a spin. I was sold.

After a few months of searching auctions and Internet sites I finally found one in the S2Ki for sale section I liked in Connecticut:

This is also the car that gave me the modding bug

Before I sold her:

I got rid of her because I thought I needed the extra room, but I didn't want to give up all the performance so I bought this:

I have to say that, for me, the M3 has been the best car I've ever owned. It is a jack of all trades. If I hadn't bought my current house (with its huge mortgage payment) I'd have a S2000 parked in the garage. Fortunately, Black Nugget is renting a room from me and once his 600hp beast is finished I will have another S2000 in the garage
Old 07-02-2006, 11:25 AM

well here's my story. i had a 2002 mazda protege5 with all kinds of bolt ons, the car was a blast to drive. i was actually in the midst of preparing it for a turbo setup. had an lsd in it and it was fine for awhile then i guess the trans couldn't take it so it broke. i tried putting my old transm ission back in which worked fine for awhile then it broke on my way back from vacation so i decided it was time to get a new car. i had been thinking about a new car for the past couple of years and couldn't decide what to get. i was so torn because there are so many cool cars out there. since i needed a car right away i started going on some test drives and just happened to see a 2002 suzuka blue s2k sitting on a lot. i promptly returned the vehicle i was test driving (02 trans am ws6) told them i wasn't interested and headed over the dealer with the s2k. i took it for a drive and all i could say was WOW! this car is absolutely amazing! i told the dealer to put a hold on this car i want it. i went and got the down payment and was driving it the next day. i still love this car to this day, even though i haven't had it all that long (maybe 3 months) i say maybe because i lose all track of time when i am in this car. (its a good thing) to reiterate what i have said, the s2k is in a class by itself. i can't wait to go drive it again and look forward to owning it for a long time : )
Old 07-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a brand new 2002 Black Accord V-6 coupe back in '02. It had everything I wanted, leather seats, V-6, sunroof, 6-CD changer. It was an absolutely awesome car I thought. After a while though I got bored and wanted a manual transmission sports car. Ever since my sister test drove an S2000 when they first came out (I went with her on the drive), I lusted after it. Every week I checked the papers/classifieds to see if there were any deals out there. In '04 I came across an '01 S with 5K miles. I fell in love with the car when I saw it at the dealership. I thought about it for a few hours and called the salesman while I was golfing and said "I'll pick it up tomorrow at 10:30am". I haven't looked back since and can say that I love ripping off redline shifts with the top down when the weather is nice. It's been almost two years and I haven't even thought of getting rid of the car.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I have always wanted an S2000, but after seeing my S sitting on a dealers lot for 3 months, I finally bit and went for a test drive. In love immediately, I purchased it.

My only regret is that it now had 79,400 on it at purchase, it now has 93K on it....and I have a longer commute to work of 45 miles round trip. I hope it holds up as well as some have on these forums...
Old 07-02-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting reads...good stuff!

And my story...

Fell in love with the S2000 back in 1999 and joined s2ki in July, 2001, when I was thinking of buying one. But to coincide with the Dot.com bust, I entered into a new business venture at that time in Los Angeles, which means all capital went into things like my budding biz rather than an S2, and so I kept my '93 MR2 Turbo.

Fast forward to January, 2005, biz finally goes south and I'm offered a "regular" job in Portland, Oregon. So I move to the NW and figure now's the time to buy an S, especially with no Oregon sales tax! So 6 lustful years later, I bought an '05 NFR in August of 2005. Unfortunately, owning a convert in Portland's a little different than owning one in LA...

Anyway, love my S, but I also love my MR2...interesting how many owners here considered, or were owners of, the MR2. I'm one of the few, but I would never buy a FWD car (I've never bought anything but 2-seater sports cars, but that's just me)...so, except for the NSX, never been a big fan of Hondas. Glad to finally come into the Honda fold...but I still don't get all the excitement over Civics...I guess it's just the Datsun 510 of a new age...
Old 07-02-2006, 12:38 PM

My story is short and simple. After seeing a G35 on almost every corner I grew very tired of it and didn't enjoy it as much as I use to so I got an S2000. Took me about 3 weeks to decide I wanted it and now I'm a proud owner

2005 DG/G G35

2006 GPW

Still looks the same, just debadged the sides
Old 07-02-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

One day I did a test drive.
Just to have driven one.
8 days later is was home.

Quick Reply: Tell us your S2000 story