S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Thinking about selling my s...Should I leave the aftermarket stuff on?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. The way I see it now is that the car is worth the same, if not less, with all of the aftermarket stuff on it. I have a friend that I think I am going to trade for his stock parts plus some cash. Then sell the car stock. Seems like I will come out with a little more money that way. Its a little more work but that's okay.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jazzman
Maybe list the car with two prices- stock & modified?

How much would that difference be?

-jazzman
The problem with this is then the potential buyers know the car was modified in its past, and the knowledge of that alone can lower the value of the vehicle to some (if not many).

OP: Sounds like you've got the right idea. Rarely do aftermarket parts add any sort of value to a car unless you find a buyer who wants exactly what you've got on it.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by g0g3tt4
As a recent buyer I can tell you this. I ONLY bought the car because it had everything on it. If it were a stock piece, I wouldn't have made the purchase... it takes all kinds though. GLWS.
You, IMO, are a rarity.

I abhor inheriting other peoples' unfinished or half-assed projects. Wheels are one thing but wiring, swaps, etc I won't touch. I would (and did) hunt out a completely stock S2k
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it back to stock before you sell.
It will be much easier to sell compared to one modified to your taste.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 PM

As a recent buyer (03 Suzuka 57k miles), the main reason I bought the car was because of it's good pricing, low mileage and unmolested. It was pretty much all stock except for a cat-back exhaust, which the previous owner removed and put the stock AP1 back on. For someone to truly enjoy this car, they need to buy it bone stock and slowly learn to appreciate what the Honda engineers originally intended to offer.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 AM

A stock car will attract more potential buyers. Majority of buyers when they see aftermarket parts they will think the car was abused (racing). No one wants a car that has been modified by someone. My friend who works at the dealer told me that modified cars are actually less in value than stock cars. Take the parts off and sell them. Like everyone said, you get more money that way.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Originally Posted by g0g3tt4' timestamp='1315466132' post='20953389
As a recent buyer I can tell you this. I ONLY bought the car because it had everything on it. If it were a stock piece, I wouldn't have made the purchase... it takes all kinds though. GLWS.
You, IMO, are a rarity.

I abhor inheriting other peoples' unfinished or half-assed projects. Wheels are one thing but wiring, swaps, etc I won't touch. I would (and did) hunt out a completely stock S2k
Me too. Twice. I'm only interested in a stock S2K. IMO, if you've got after market performance parts, you've probably driven the car hard, and I'm not interested in that.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I generally will not even consider a car that has been modified, and I think most buyers are the same.

If you do sell the parts, make sure to put the proper AP2v1 wheels on the car. I would rather buy a modified car than a car with parts from the wrong generation on it, because it looks like the owner didn't car about the car at all.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 PM

I disagree on the wrong wheels. If you've got an AP1, I want AP1 wheels on the car. If you've got an AP2, I don't care which version of the AP2 wheels you've got on the car as long as they are the correct size.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I currently have all of my stuff on Craigslist now. I want to put it here also but have not payed for the membership. Would I be wrong to try selling stuff in this thread?

Thanks again,
Nick

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my s...Should I leave the aftermarket stuff on?