S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

thinking of buying an s2000 but not to sure, need help deciding

Old 11-16-2002, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying an s2000 but not to sure, need help deciding

i like s2000's but then i see the new 350z which is cool too, i hear that s2000 has low torque at low rpms but i heard that there is a way to increase torque at lower rpms? is this true?
also what are the pros and cons of s2000's ?
is it easy for everday driving?
Old 11-16-2002, 10:25 PM

do what i did.... test drive them both... you will see the light either way...

the s2k and 350z are both really quite alike.. and really different
they are both low 14 sec cars.. but each has a different kind of fast...

my own personal choice...
I think the 350Z isnt all that fun to drive.. hell it looks hella cool, inside and out, it handles amazingly, very short shifts but kinda clunky.. but well.. driving was just kinda boring.. it was like your average 6 cyl sporty kind of car..
now the s2k.. it looks pretty cool.. inside and out I love the leather interior.. and you CANNOT BEAT THE DIGITAL DASH!.. handles amazingly as well.. also very short shifts.. and on top of that..its WAY smoother.. its like shifting through soft butter... the joy of riding an s2k is soooo much greater.. so much more rewarding than a 350Z..

it all depends on what YOU want.. what kinda drive feel do you like? do you like the feel of torque? then get the 350Z.. I wouldnt say the s2k's torque is TOO low at low rpms.. it still pulls perfectly fine.. and it may or may not be easy for everyday driving.. I LOVE SHIFTING! so this is the car for me... but i mean if you are a fan of automatics or something.. then go for the 350z its easier to drive.. harder to mess up when you have more torque..

its all about personal preference.. go out to the dealerships.. tell them you are thinking about this purchase.. and ask for a test drive.. its the only real way to find out.. dont go by peoples words.. its a waste of time and a BIG waste of money if you get the wrong car..

good luck.... hope i was of some help..
Old 11-16-2002, 10:28 PM
Banned

well .. 350Z is good car & S2000 is great car .. i had a Prelude about 2 years, finally i decided S2000. after i have S, i will never turn back to Prelude or any other car anymore. it's small, fun & fast. it's really depend on u, we couldnt decide for u, but i can tell u one thing is u wont regret to have the S on the future.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:33 PM

the S runs high 13's stock... 13.8 1/4mile Motor Trend you can't go wrong with either car i like them both... but i would choose the S good luck on your decision
Old 11-16-2002, 10:42 PM

Choose what you think is right for you.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:05 PM

there's a way to increase low end torque and it says on your screen name: SUPERCHARGE!!!!
Old 11-16-2002, 11:41 PM

yea i know i could supercharge it and i will if it comes down to that, but someone told me that you could buy a gage which altered the vtec configuration so that the horsepower peak was at lower rpms. you guys know anything about that?
Old 11-17-2002, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by SUPERCHARGEDS2k
i like s2000's but then i see the new 350z which is cool too, i hear that s2000 has low torque at low rpms but i heard that there is a way to increase torque at lower rpms? is this true?
also what are the pros and cons of s2000's ?
is it easy for everday driving?
They've imported and test-driven some 350z over here in Europe and they say it doesn't have that much pull and it's basically a very middle-of-the-road V6. They praise the handling though.

The s2000 is the best 4-cyl engine you can get. Torque is low across the band but hey if you want torque then get a f**king diesel Handling has been sorted on the 2002 models but it remains a car very delicate to drive on the wet ! I also find that the interior of the S2000 is original, very compact and driver-focused. The s2000 is also much more track-focused than the 350z which I would more qualify as a hi-speed highway cruiser

Regarding practicality, well lemme say this : if you want space and are looking into either the 350z and s2000, then you're in the wrong place...I'm going to a wedding with my wife next week-end and I'm already wondering how the hell I'm gonna get the suit, dress not to mention the tie and socks in. With a foldable jacket case shouldn't be a problem though oh by the way Nissan says you can put a golfbag in the 350z. Well you can still go to play minigolf with the s2000 right ? but hey if you're a golfer buy a Range Rover, and make it a diesel that one

Finally in Europe the 350z (if ever available) will probz cost around 70'000 CHF vs. 56'800 to the S2000.

So really a no-brainer this one.:
Old 11-17-2002, 04:28 AM

I haven't driven the Z, but think of it this way: The Z can be equipped with an automatic tranny. The S comes only with a six-speed manual, because Honda knows that true sports cars should be shifted. If you don't like to shift, go with the Z. If you want to enjoy the shortest shifter throw in the business, it's the S. Thus endeth the sermon.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by djohnston
[B]I haven't driven the Z, but think of it this way: The Z can be equipped with an automatic tranny.

Quick Reply: thinking of buying an s2000 but not to sure, need help deciding