S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   A tip to keep you from getting robbed (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/tip-keep-you-getting-robbed-1194001/)

Yoni 05-08-2019 05:06 AM

A tip to keep you from getting robbed

Yesterday I parked the S2K in a downtown parking garage. When I came back to the car I saw someone got in. He opened the cup holder, moved the seat forward to access the fabric storage holder behind the passenger seat and pulled out the receipts, car registration and proof of insurance and also opened the storage compartment between the seats. I felt lucky that there was nothing for him to steal until I got home and released he took the garage remote from my visor and now had my address and a way to enter the house. I reprogrammed the garage opener so he can’t get in, but thought I should share some advice so you won’t go through this.

It’s no surprise that the thief did not find the secret compartment. From now on I will keep any papers with my address in there instead of behind the seat. You should do the same.

cgarrett23 05-08-2019 06:01 AM

Solid advice. I've thought about my garage remote a few times as I park it with the top down and the remote sitting on the visor, it's right there for anyone to grab. With our other cars having the garage programmed into the Homelink, it's easy to forget about that ancient garage door remote in the s.

licelsior 05-08-2019 07:20 AM

Knowing how prone these cars are for break-in's, I always keep my registration and insurance in my wallet. I've also transitioned to doing this to my other car's as well.

MrFunk 05-08-2019 08:34 AM

Likewise. There are no papers in my car with my name.
One thing though - if any of you ever park outside your garage on occasion (especially if overnight) you may want to remove your garage remote. That's an easy way to gain access to your house.

cosmomiller 05-08-2019 10:00 AM

I have my garage remote hidden in the car: use Velcro to keep it in position but I can still use it as is.

People also like to chat on airport parking buses about their vacation plans not realizing the “friendly” person they are talking to is not going flying. He just saw the car those people came in, knows how long they will be gone, and can now get their address to rob them at leisure.

engifineer 05-08-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller (Post 24599787)
I have my garage remote hidden in the car: use Velcro to keep it in position but I can still use it as is.

People also like to chat on airport parking buses about their vacation plans not realizing the “friendly” person they are talking to is not going flying. He just saw the car those people came in, knows how long they will be gone, and can now get their address to rob them at leisure.

Great point. IT also amazes me how people are so willing to post up pics and details of their vacation on social media like FB ... DURING and before their vacation. In other words .."hey world! I am going to be away from my house for 2 weeks.. come rob me!"

To show just how scary that is, we had an issue with someone that was connected to our son on facebook one time. We only had his name and knew he was on facebook. I was calling his mom within an hour at both her work phone and house phone. Knew where his brother went to college, their house address,etc. All from 100% legal and free searches using tidbits of info from his facebook page and none of it was info directly on said FB page. It is totally that easy when you use social media, so dont post details that help people rob you there!

afzan 05-08-2019 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by MrFunk (Post 24599734)
Likewise. There are no papers in my car with my name.
One thing though - if any of you ever park outside your garage on occasion (especially if overnight) you may want to remove your garage remote. That's an easy way to gain access to your house.

yup I do the same, insurance and a photocopy of ownership in my wallet -- not in the car itself

00S2K01S4 05-08-2019 11:16 AM

Good tips. Some other tips: if you are going to put your registration in your car, copy it but masked out your personal information first. Also, for cars with navigation (I know the S2000 doesn't come with.) don't set a home address. It's worse if the car has homelink. Instant access to your house location and garage.

Car Analogy 05-08-2019 11:26 AM

Yeah, even on your phone gps, set Home as an address near your home, not your real address. You'll know how to get home from there! : )

Hiding the garage remote, or hardwiring it in to car like in the modify freebie section of his webpage, would be a good idea.

I like the reg papers in secret compartment idea. Going to do that today...

You can also lock the 'glove box' between the seats when parking in sketchy areas.

antidentite 05-08-2019 12:12 PM

I don't have an S2K yet, but when I finally have one I'm considering getting a Bluetooth-enabled garage door opener so I can use my phone instead of a unit that stays in the car. This one on Amazon looks interesting: .

This could also help with the occasional rental/loaner car, assuming it works well and is fairly responsive.