S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tire safety and brakepad question

Old 03-29-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tire safety and brakepad question

My rear tires are very worn, a few wires are visible through the tread. Minor tread is left.

Im wondering if they are still safe to drive (in the dry) a (few) hundred miles untill new tires come, or if this is a dangerous situation with the cords visible like this? I dont want any explosions! Not sure how thick that outer layer is once the tread is gone.

About this brakepad. It was on the car from previous owner. Is this an Oem AP1 pad or is it a random pad? There is no name, no print no stamp nothing that I can use to identify. This pic is with all shims removed. Does anybody know?
Old 03-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope. Would not drive on those tires.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

the tires don't look to be "corded". If you take it easy and drive like a sane human, you likely won't die. but if there's standing water/wet roads...keep the car in the garage.
darcy
Old 03-29-2019, 08:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Definitely DO NOT drive on those tires. Those are beyond worn and are unsafe.

As for the pad, not sure and most don't have many markings (as far as I've found). Is there something particular about the pad you are trying to find out?
Old 03-29-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
the tires don't look to be "corded". If you take it easy and drive like a sane human, you likely won't die. but if there's standing water/wet roads...keep the car in the garage.
darcy
I googled "Corded" and got pics of tires much worse than mine. Is that what you meant?
Yeah just for dry. In wet drive very carefully now.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by datadr
Definitely DO NOT drive on those tires. Those are beyond worn and are unsafe.

As for the pad, not sure and most don't have many markings (as far as I've found). Is there something particular about the pad you are trying to find out?
You think they will explode or? I just drive a few miles a time. I will monitor if it gets worse, ill quit.

Pads. Just trying to find out if these are OEM pads or not, so I know how oem perform. They have 40% left.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:26 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Send it. These guys are being Pre-Madonas. They're kind of cracking and old, just don't push it and you'll be just fine partner. No liability implied or intended. lol

As for the brake pads, it's impossible to tell really. If you're just using them for street driving just use em up unless they're not satisfactory in the bite department....then go get something else.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
Send it. These guys are being Pre-Madonas. They're kind of cracking and old, just don't push it and you'll be just fine partner. No liability implied or intended. lol

As for the brake pads, it's impossible to tell really. If you're just using them for street driving just use em up unless they're not satisfactory in the bite department....then go get something else.

You mean oem pads dont have any markings or engravings from manufacturer? (Like mine)
Old 03-30-2019, 12:50 PM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

OEM pads are stamped "NISSIN"
Old 03-30-2019, 01:02 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

This makes you liable in the event of any crash.

Quick Reply: Tire safety and brakepad question