S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Top leaking in the rain (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/top-leaking-rain-169957/)

simons2k 12-17-2003 02:17 AM

Top leaking in the rain

I noticed this past weekend that my top was leaking in water from the rain. It was coming in from the sides, about from the middle part of the windows, both drivers and passenger sides.

Anyone ever experience this? Is their a quick or easy fix?:confused:

Black Nugget 12-17-2003 02:32 AM

I've havent had it on mine, but my friend told me that its defintly something that i'm gonna have to look forward to in the future. he said there is no such thing as an air proof/water proof convertable... over time, your just gonna have leaks

R11 12-17-2003 07:35 AM

he said there is no such thing as an air proof/water proof convertable...
Your friend is wrong. In this day and age there is really no excuse for a convertible top that leaks wind and water. And there should be NO need to grease the weather stripping to keep it tight either... Especially on a two seater with such a small/short top. The top design on the S seems to be one of the very few weak points of the car.

ron

Bacchus 12-17-2003 07:39 AM

mine had a leak and the Honda dealer orderd me some new weather strippping for the top. mine was from the drivers side middle and front of the window. They found a small tear in the stripping. have them check yours.

Karp 12-17-2003 08:06 AM

My S is only about 6 months old and I have had the same problem, but only in really heavy rain it leaks at the same place yours does on the passenger and driver sides. It only did this once back in october when we had 3 days of very heavy rain, otherewise it dosent leak in the rain

allkingz 12-17-2003 08:14 AM

Never had a problem with mine....

RazorV3 12-17-2003 09:01 AM

try to close your doors without using the window. each time you use the window to close the door, the window can get out of alignment and won't seal properly with the top. future leaks can occur.

rocketman 12-17-2003 09:43 AM

'01 with 29Kmiles, was my daily driver (all seasons, rain or shine, but no snow driving) for the first two years, no leaks whatsoever.

Hockey 12-17-2003 09:43 AM

There is a channel in the core of the weatherstripping to move the water away. Unfortunately, there is a seam in the weatherstripping - right about midway along the window.

This is the spot where the rainwater drips down into the cabin, and right on the window controls. Also, the slope of the roof tends to bring all the water to this ill placed seam.

Its a design flaw. We all have it. It is simply a matter of exposure (both rain and UV) that owners get varying results.

Ishy 12-17-2003 10:01 AM

I've had the exact same experiance leaking-wise, however, it's not a big issue. For me, it doesn't leak while driving or while stopped, only when slowing down. I'l leave the hypothesising on why to someone else.

But it's only happened twice this winter, so I figure it's a convertable, it's bound to happen, as long as its a rarity, im okay.