S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tow truck damage?

Old 09-21-2014, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow truck damage?

I recently had my car towed about 65 miles or so with the rear wheels on the pavement. The guy picked up my car on a flatbed and apparently transferred my car to another tow truck without my consent. Sure enough the car showed up at the fab shop where I waited making a loud howling noise as I noticed the car was now being towed with the rear wheels rolling on the pavement. There was no motor or transmission in the car so the driveshaft was disconnected and just hanging/resting on the hoop. I checked under the car after we unloaded for damage and the driveshaft was worn where it was spinning and making contact against the hoop the whole 65 mile highway trip. Is there any possible drivetrain damage that may occur from the driveshaft not being able to freely spin from the friction of it just laying on the hoop? Thanks for any help guys
Old 09-21-2014, 03:48 AM

That tow truck company will be paying for any and all damages right?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

their responsible for any damage during tow. don't let them get away with that.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:13 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you request a flatbed? Honda doesn't like this car towed on the rear wheels. They should know this.

Have them pay for it.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:38 AM

This is a flatbed only car. They need to pay.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously, this only supports my hypothesis after working at a dealership and seeing how cars are towed for years and years. There has just GOT to be some sort of IQ test for being a tow truck driver, and if you exceed a certain maximum (my guess is somewhere around 50), then you get fired or can't have the job.
Why in the hell would you leave the driveshaft connected if you're towing like that? You absolutely need to raise hell and get ALL related damage paid for. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:41 AM

Thanks guys... yes the guy was actually helpful and told me to let him know about any damage. (When he pulled up I immediately told him I did not want the car towed like that and he heard the noise himself)

The driveshaft was disconnected from the transmission (as there was no motor/trans in the car) but still connected to the diff. The driveshaft was just spinning against the hoop the whole trip. I'm not sure what damage to look for (other than the noticeable wear from the friction of it spinning against the hoop)? It will be a few more weeks till the motor is back in a running. Is there possible serious damage that could have occurred? thanks fore the help guys
Old 09-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by kjayp2
Thanks guys... yes the guy was actually helpful and told me to let him know about any damage. (When he pulled up I immediately told him I did not want the car towed like that and he heard the noise himself)

The driveshaft was disconnected from the transmission (as there was no motor/trans in the car) but still connected to the diff. The driveshaft was just spinning against the hoop the whole trip. I'm not sure what damage to look for (other than the noticeable wear from the friction of it spinning against the hoop)? It will be a few more weeks till the motor is back in a running. Is there possible serious damage that could have occurred? thanks fore the help guys
Not sure where it is but I clearly remember Billman discussing the problems that often occur from towing. As I recall the ONLY way to tow the car is on a flatbed. Period. Even then damage often occurs from improper securing or low clearances that tear the car up. Billman stated he had never seen a flatbed tow without damage.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:23 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

There are a good number that have flat towed their cars for many many miles and not had an issue.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:07 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

How many had their driveshaft disconnected and thus was flopping around whacking the bottom of the car and thrashing around in the safety hoop?

Quick Reply: Tow truck damage?