S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Type-R, is it possible for S2000? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/type-r-possible-s2000-56132/)

njtripface 04-09-2002 05:39 PM

Type-R, is it possible for S2000?

I was always wondering about Honda doing a Type-R version for the S2000. I know they do this treatment for the countless other cars in their lineup, but why not for the S2000? Does anyone know when a car is deemed ready for this treatment? Is there a certain amount of years the car must exist, enthusiasm for it, or necessity for it? I know a Type-V exists, which I believe affects the turning of the car, or turning radius? Any opinions or speculations on when or if Honda would ever make a Type-R verison of the S2000?

It is possilbe Honda tapped every amount of power, performance, and handling ability from this car already that there is no need to create an even higher performance version? I would like to optimistically think that they can always make the car better than its current version. How much that would cost and what it would entail is another question.

Any thoughts guys/gals?

LordVagabond 04-09-2002 05:48 PM

Well, from things I've heard through the grapevine, the F20C motor is actually facotry DEtuned. When the SSM concept was made, I think they had it pushing 270 bhp, but dropped it to 240 bhp so as not to encroach on the Honda NSX sales and performance.

On the subject of a Type R, I think it's possible once the NSX switches over to the new style and V8 pushing 500 bhp... then I would heartily accept a 300 HP S2000 Type-R :D

Tonky 04-09-2002 05:55 PM

Well to be a true Type R, bang would go the soft top and the hard top for a start. A Type R car isn't even allowed to have a sun roof which would compromise body rigidity. So it would be a fixed roof! :( I would think that there's little doubt that the chassis and suspension are capable of modification to meet the criteria. As for more power, your guess is as good as mine. Personally without the soft top I'd say they can keep it!:(

jlangton 04-09-2002 06:01 PM

Well, from things I've heard through the grapevine, the F20C motor is actually facotry DEtuned. When the SSM concept was made, I think they had it pushing 270 bhp
LordVagabond, or anyone.....Any specifics on what they changed in the engine to detune it?? How hard do you think it would be to bring it back to the specifications that it started as?

SuzukaBlueAP1 04-09-2002 06:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by njtripface
[B]Does anyone know when a car is deemed ready for this treatment?

Black Moon 04-09-2002 06:21 PM

I just picked up my 02 this weekend and I'm not impressed with the performance. Where should I start???

DaveZ 04-09-2002 06:30 PM

Originally posted by LordVagabond
When the SSM concept was made, I think they had it pushing 270 bhp, but dropped it to 240 bhp so as not to encroach on the Honda NSX sales and performance.
I read in R&T (Jan '99) that the SSM concept was a V-5 and that the I-4 was chosen for "the more compact shape and lighter weight". They didn't give the hp rating for the V-5, but I wonder if that was the 270hp and not the four?

DaveZ 04-09-2002 06:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Black Moon
[B]I just picked up my 02 this weekend and I'm not impressed with the performance.

Black Moon 04-09-2002 06:50 PM

Picked it up in Laudersale and drove it home, 1100 miles. It was a good ride, kept it under 4000. Now with 1100 on it I got into it a few times to see how it felt, My question is where should one start in improving engine performance?

shingles 04-09-2002 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
Well to be a true Type R, bang would go the soft top and the hard top for a start. A Type R car isn't even allowed to have a sun roof which would compromise body rigidity. So it would be a fixed roof! :( I would think that there's little doubt that the chassis and suspension are capable of modification to meet the criteria. As for more power, your guess is as good as mine. Personally without the soft top I'd say they can keep it!:(
since the s2k was designed from the beginning as an open top roadster, I think having a close top wouldn't be as benifical as most convertable. Plus no sun roof on the teg type r is more of a weight issue than anything else. so there's hope yet. :)

-Shing