S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Ultimate rock chip paint protection (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/ultimate-rock-chip-paint-protection-1193754/)

AZS2KDancer 04-29-2019 03:43 PM

Ultimate rock chip paint protection

What would be the ultimate in rock chip protection for a newly finished, clay barred and waxed paint job? Would you recommend a ceramic coating? How about a 3M or other clear bra over the entire hood and front end? Would you consider both?

GuthNW 04-29-2019 03:53 PM

darcyw 04-29-2019 05:26 PM

Ceramic coating will not protect against stone chips- you will be further ahead to do a full frontal PPF from 3M or Expel or whoever you like best. With practice, the film is not impossible to install yourself- I've done a few, but I'm glad its not my day job.

You can ceramic coat after the PPF.

Interestingly, my wife's Mazda has a section in the owner's manual with a scale showing the speed vs. distance you need to be behind the car ahead to reduce stone chip risk.

darcy

JasonMG 04-29-2019 05:48 PM

I -hate- installing protector screens on smartphones and I picture the 3M, etc, being just like that... but worse. The idea of installing that is the stuff of nightmares. That said, I am considering having my paint redone then having some kind of protection installed (by someone who is not me)

99MCoupe 04-29-2019 07:03 PM

If the ceramic coating is so durable, if your car needs body work and paint, what do you have to do to ensure a successful repair? IE: how do you remove the ceramic coating completely?

darcyw 04-29-2019 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by JasonMG (Post 24596154)
I -hate- installing protector screens on smartphones and I picture the 3M, etc, being just like that... but worse. The idea of installing that is the stuff of nightmares. That said, I am considering having my paint redone then having some kind of protection installed (by someone who is not me)

you need to be uber patient with the install- paying someone to do it right is understood. The PPF will take the high speed hit of a sharp stone, especially on the leading edge of the metal body panels. Ceramic is a very nice product, but for my $1800, I'd sooner have PPF.

darcy

Nate Tempest 04-29-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 99MCoupe (Post 24596171)
If the ceramic coating is so durable, if your car needs body work and paint, what do you have to do to ensure a successful repair? IE: how do you remove the ceramic coating completely?

If nothing else you could take it down with compound/polish, just like removing clear coat. (In fact, my understanding is that one of the benefits of coating is that you can remove scratches by doing just that—polishing down the coating rather than the clear coat.)

AZS2KDancer 04-30-2019 04:11 AM

Thank you for the replies. I did learn something, and I'm grateful for that. I definitely want the protection that a PPF will provide and I like the high gloss effect with the ceramic coating. The video and the posts following have been helpful to learn which one is applied first.

Chuck S 04-30-2019 05:42 AM

Interestingly, my wife's Mazda has a section in the owner's manual with a scale showing the speed vs. distance you need to be behind the car ahead to reduce stone chip risk.
I found this on an on-line Mazda 6 owners manual:

How to avoid paint chipping Keeping a safe distance between you and the vehicle ahead reduces the chances of having your paint chipped by flying gravel.

NOTE
•The paint chipping zone varies with the speed of the vehicle. For example, when traveling at 90 km/h (56 mph), the paint chipping zone is 50 m (164 ft).
•In low temperatures a vehicle's finish hardens. This increases the chance of paint chipping.
50 meters is over half a football field! Thats a dozen S2000 car lengths. I need to leave a lot more room in front on group drives. :)

-- Chuck

jeffreygebhart 04-30-2019 01:43 PM

I'm a big fan of Xpel ultimate. I bought my NSX, grew weary of counting the new chips that I seemingly found after every drive, and had Xpel ultimate applied on everything forward of the doors (except the windshield!), the rocker panels, and the mirrors. When I subsequently bought the S2000 I had it done immediately. I have only 2 regrets: that I didn't have it done immediately upon taking delivery of the NSX, and that my budget didn't permit doing the entire exterior of both cars. If you're concerned about paint chips, get the Xpel. It's not cheap but money very well spent.