S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Update to the update on the European Service "recall" (Oil Bolts)

Old 09-03-2002, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, that part # in the pic above is for european market, it doesn't come up in the US Parts computer. My guy there is calling up Honda to see if he can source that Kit for the US. The older bolts are coming in this week for comparison to the new bolt part#s which are on backorder.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:58 AM

So there is a new US part number, but at this point we are not sure that the new US part is the same as the new Euro part from the picture above? Is that right?
Old 09-03-2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by StrangeDaze
So there is a new US part number, but at this point we are not sure that the new US part is the same as the new Euro part from the picture above? Is that right?
Yes, there is a US part # to the new bolts, but that part # is not the same as the european part #. The part # in the picture above is not for the individual bolts, it's for the TSB kit that updates the oil banjo bolts, so that is different than ordering the bolts seperately. I honestly can't wait to find out the part # for the updated oil bolts. The computer system indicates the part has been updated but there is no part #. I guess all that can be done is wait. The only reason I want to do the oil bolt upgrade is b/c I'll have the pan off and will have access to the bolts. I don't see myself driving over 100mph for extended periods of time, but the added peace of mind of having those bolts in there as opposed to stock will be worth the trouble of sourcing them.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:14 PM

Okay, cool. I'll watch this space for more info then. Thanks for your efforts here!
Old 09-03-2002, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by vapors2k

The part # in the picture above is not for the individual bolts, it's for the TSB kit that updates the oil banjo bolts, so that is different than ordering the bolts seperately.
I don't mean to be dense, but whats the difference between a kit that updates the bolts and ordering the bolts? Any? If not, I can have my relatives in Finland order the part and send it to me.

-B
Old 09-03-2002, 03:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bguernsey
[B]

I don't mean to be dense, but whats the difference between a kit that updates the bolts and ordering the bolts?
Old 09-04-2002, 06:09 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

I've been reading all the posts since the very first one that was posted overseas. I still see no reason for people to panic or to rush to install the bolts until they have more facts. I read lots of speculation but nothing concrete about the nature of the problem or designated purpose of the bolt redesign. True, you don't need an engineering degree to see that they provide additional oil flow. On the other hand, there certainly has not been any significant number of engine failures that can be linked to the speculation of long term sustained high speed driving - here or overseas that we have evidence of. Eventually the whole story on these bolts will come out - either from Honda or another source. Modifying our $8,000 warranty covered engine with some gray market Honda built parts must raise some warranty issues should a problem arise after an owner installation. Using the defense, "Gee, I read on the Internet . . . " may not work in this case. I'll wait for more facts and leave the worrying to Honda since they have to honor my warranty.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
[B]I've been reading all the posts since the very first one that was posted overseas.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is sorta like the spark plug recall. A few of us over a year ago observed that the 13 #s used was simply NOT enough. Why, some of us even were "bold" enough to say, "To heck with what the Honda manual tells us" and we turn up the torque to ........... GUESS WHAT? 18-20 #s This was followed by some negative comments from some forum members mumbling something about Honda must know what they're doing, "What will this do to your waranty if something happened", etc, etc.
One small step for S2000 owners, one giant leap for HONDA!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:30 AM

Everyone can do what they want.

Logically, honda would not do a "service update" on those bolts unless there was a problem with the current ones.
Then why do you suppose Honda has not required the recall in the US?

Now that I think about it, I want to do the bolt swap not just because of a pan swap but because everytime I take the car to a road course where I'm at full throttle most of the time and above 7k rpm, I will know that the RIGHT banjo bolts are in there. Logically, honda would not do a "service update" on those bolts unless there was a problem with the current ones.
I have also taken my car to road courses many times, as have a lot of us here. Has anyone had a failure at the track? I haven't heard of any.

Still no proof as far as I am concerned that these bolts would have prevented any failure or reduced any wear in a US car.

Quick Reply: Update to the update on the European Service "recall" (Oil Bolts)