S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Various Wilwood/Stoptech BBK questions

Old 11-08-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Various Wilwood/Stoptech BBK questions

Ok, several questions here. After doing some hefty searching I came up with the usual feedback when it comes to rating things around here, six of one, half a dozen of the other. Anyway, here are my questions in no particular order:

1. Wilwood v. Stoptech: Wilwood seems to be the favorite around here and after doing some searches it also seems that they are the easier ones to install. Right now, I'm leaning towards Wilwood, but can't seem to find any pricing online to compare them to the stoptech which are available at the gofast lab (a plus for stoptech).

2. Has Wilwood/Stoptech come out with the rear brake kit that lets you use the e-brake wires? A post dated in July mentioned that Wilwood was working on this, but no results as of then and I haven't heard anything recently. I would love to see the bigger calipers on all four corners but don't want to sacrifice my e-brake. Also, I've read about the rears locking up earlier than the fronts once the bbk is installed and throwing the back end around.

3. Will the Wilwood(6 piston) or Stoptechs clear the MY04 stock wheels? I'd love to do the wheels as well, but it will have to be done in stages to save money and I'd rather keep the stocks for now and go with the brakes.

Any info on these would be great. I do track the car and mostly take it out for "spirited" driving when I drive it on the street. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the Wilwoods, but Stoptech has PDF templates that you can print out and trim. Just place them in the inside of a wheel and if it clears everywhere, than it fits. The six-pot Wilwoods are supposed to be able to fit on OEM 16" wheels w/ a spacer - don't know anything about the AP2 17".

Both companies are reputable - I think that Wilwoods are popular for our cars because they have many options (disc size, and type of calipers, etc.) the pads are easy and inexpensive to replace and the kits are reasonably priced. The Stoptechs look like a good quality product - but the size of the calipers limit the type of wheels that you can use. I think the Stoptechs will fit OEM Porsche pads. Both thake pride on the effectiveness of their products.

Please keep this link up. This is probably my next upgrade also. I'd love to hear opinions from anyone with the Stoptechs.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

6 piston for bigger wheels like 18's, an over kill on anything 17 and under. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-09-2004, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by dreamcation,Nov 8 2004, 04:37 PM
6 piston for bigger wheels like 18's, an over kill on anything 17 and under. Just my 2 cents
awe, come on. There's no such thing as overkill if it fits. I know that the stock brakes are actually good enough and all I really need is probably some slotted rotors to keep brake fade down. However, looking good while stopping never hurt anybody . Hence, to me, bigger is better. Well, on some things anyway.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM Docofmind (Sherwin) for info on the Wilwood setups. He's the one who originally develooped the kit for our cars.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read something about willwoods catching fire in the Racing and Competition forum
Old 11-09-2004, 12:00 PM

I have had the wilwoods 4-pot front BBK, and I love 'em. I don't track my car, but I take mountain drives etc. The only time I've had any sort of fade was after a very spirited drive through the dragons tail in NC. They look great, stop great, and I love 'em. The squealing from aftermarket pads can be annoying, but thats the only negative I could tell ya. PM me if you have more questions, but if you aren't tracking your car from what I have experienced, the wilwood setup is more than enough brakes for our car.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jbotstein1,Nov 9 2004, 04:00 PM
The squealing from aftermarket pads can be annoying, but thats the only negative I could tell ya.
Are you using track pads with your Wilwoods? tracks pads are infamous for squeal and dust but if they're street pads they shouldn't squeal unless there's something wrong correct me if I'm wrong
Old 11-09-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by jbotstein1,Nov 9 2004, 01:00 PM
I have had the wilwoods 4-pot front BBK, and I love 'em. I don't track my car, but I take mountain drives etc. The only time I've had any sort of fade was after a very spirited drive through the dragons tail in NC. They look great, stop great, and I love 'em. The squealing from aftermarket pads can be annoying, but thats the only negative I could tell ya. PM me if you have more questions, but if you aren't tracking your car from what I have experienced, the wilwood setup is more than enough brakes for our car.
thanks for the input. You should come out to one of the Atlanta club's tuesday night meets so I can check them out. We also do a monthly drive that gets a good following. You might be signed up already, but I don't think we've met before. Anyway, here's a link if your interested for tuesdays:

S2KAtlanta.com Tuesday Night Meets
Old 11-12-2004, 11:51 AM

Keep in mind that Wilwood offers numerous different set ups for the S2000.

Eveything from a 4piston 12.2" set up all the way up to a 6 piston 14" set up. We also have a 6 piston 12.2" designed forthe stock 16" wheel. If you need any more info, let me know.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Various Wilwood/Stoptech BBK questions