S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?

Old 11-24-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?

Hi Guys,

I am a guy with newly found interest in S2000. Today, I had a chance to check out used S2000 and am wondering if I found a decent deal.

As per dealer, he says that he bought the car at $22k and spent around 2k doing maintenance and selling it at no profit.

Car is 2008 with 31k mileage and dealer wants 24k for it.

Outside is pretty clean except few paint chips at the tip of door.

Inside is pretty clean except few areas

1. Leather on steering wheel is detached
Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?-sred5go.jpg

2. Shift Knob is worn down
Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?-vyrmx60.jpg

3. Small 0.5 inch crack/cut on the top. It is where the red circle is located.
Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?-bntomf4.jpg
Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?-zlo1ejh.jpg
Is this a deal breaker? Not sure if I am getting a decent deal.

Here are some of other photos I took.

Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?-a4srpcn.jpg

Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?-rtji2um.jpg

Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?-ecaonoz.jpg

Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?-wjds0t4.jpg
Old 11-24-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Decent price for 2008 and that miles.
The following users liked this post:
smaug (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 415
Decent price for 2008 and that miles.
Thank you very much. Are any thing I listed deal breakers?
Old 11-25-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Those are "minor" things. Shift knob you can get one for about 50-80$, steering wheel 200-300$ or try to repair that one for 100-150$. Regarding the top not sure in values.

The most important thing is the good condition of the engine and chassi. I would go to a shop (expert in S2K's if possible) and do a check up to the car.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:43 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

So what exactly did they spend the 2 grand on? The wear on the wheel and shift knob seems a bit excessive for the mileage. Where is the car located? Is the dealer just not wanting to sit on the car for the winter, or is he Santa? Most dealers don't sell stuff for cost. Have the car inspected as previously mentioned.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:20 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

All 10 body VIN tags in place? Replacement panels will lack these and all present is a strong indication of no wrecks. Honda oil filter on the starboard side of the engine is an indication of either (1) good maintenance practice or (2) it's never been changed.

Looks good to me despite the couple cosmetic issues. The 2008 model is the last generation and the mileage is averaging 3000 miles a year,

Cash buy and second car I assume? Have a garage to put her in at night so she's not stolen or the roof slashed?

-- Chuck

PS: I love black cars! Other guy's black cars, they're a PITA to keep clean!
Old 11-25-2017, 04:54 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Forgot to add: The 2006 and later cars have a tuneable ECU and a Gernby FlashPro tune will drop VTEC to 3600rpm and significantly increase mid-range power and acceleration. This ability topped my priority list when looking for an S2000 3 summers ago.

-- Chuck
Old 11-25-2017, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by The King
So what exactly did they spend the 2 grand on? The wear on the wheel and shift knob seems a bit excessive for the mileage. Where is the car located? Is the dealer just not wanting to sit on the car for the winter, or is he Santa? Most dealers don't sell stuff for cost. Have the car inspected as previously mentioned.
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AP21468S000418

This is the carfax report. Seems like they changed brake caliper and wiper. (Not sure if this is worth 2k)

Originally Posted by Anualmix
Those are "minor" things. Shift knob you can get one for about 50-80$, steering wheel 200-300$ or try to repair that one for 100-150$. Regarding the top not sure in values.

The most important thing is the good condition of the engine and chassi. I would go to a shop (expert in S2K's if possible) and do a check up to the car.
Thank you. The top is worrying me lol.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
All 10 body VIN tags in place? Replacement panels will lack these and all present is a strong indication of no wrecks. Honda oil filter on the starboard side of the engine is an indication of either (1) good maintenance practice or (2) it's never been changed.

Looks good to me despite the couple cosmetic issues. The 2008 model is the last generation and the mileage is averaging 3000 miles a year,

Cash buy and second car I assume? Have a garage to put her in at night so she's not stolen or the roof slashed?

-- Chuck

PS: I love black cars! Other guy's black cars, they're a PITA to keep clean!

I'm stupid. I didn't check 10 VIN stickers. Yup, second car and cash buy. Will keep it for 1.5 year and I just don't wanna get hit bad when I trade it in.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Besides checking for the 10 matching VINs next time, check also the under chassis for rust. If all VINs match meaning no panel replaced and no rust under the chassis, then it is a good deal.

Rudy
Old 11-25-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

The tear in the top is not in the usual wear spots that frequently result in a hole. You may be able to have a decent fix on that tear without further problems. The elastic straps should be replaced (Modifry) for $20.

If everything pans out mechanically and appears to not have been in an accident , I would also check for corrosion. I can see some in the engine compartment leading me to believe this is not a western car and perhaps driven in the winter and or not garaged.

The worn/scratched shift knob can get that way if the driver has substantial rings on his hand. The leather damage on the steering wheel could also have occured the same way. It looks like something pulled and tore the leather rather than just heavy wear.

Should be sweet car. I purchased my 09 with the same miles.

Quick Reply: Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?