S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?

Old 11-25-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The knob looks like it has corrosion? Kinda weird. I've not seen that before. The S2000 badge on the left front fender looks off kilter a bit. Could be the angle of the photo? But, if it is crooked, I would ask why. Might be good explanation. Check the VIN stickers for sure. Lots of cars have accidents that don't show up on carfax. But, even if there is a replaced front bumper cover or something I would not let taht bother me if I got a good explanation and the other inspection comes out good. The reasonable price coming from a dealer is odd. Makes me a bit suspicious. How long have they had it for sale? Has the price dropped? But, if ll this stuff checks out and it runs well with good compression it could be a good car for you. Do your homework and be patient. Personally, I prefer private sales. But, if a dealer has the right car I would suck it up and pay the dealer mark up and be happy.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyy
Besides checking for the 10 matching VINs next time, check also the under chassis for rust. If all VINs match meaning no panel replaced and no rust under the chassis, then it is a good deal.

Rudy
Thank you!

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
The tear in the top is not in the usual wear spots that frequently result in a hole. You may be able to have a decent fix on that tear without further problems. The elastic straps should be replaced (Modifry) for $20.

If everything pans out mechanically and appears to not have been in an accident , I would also check for corrosion. I can see some in the engine compartment leading me to believe this is not a western car and perhaps driven in the winter and or not garaged.

The worn/scratched shift knob can get that way if the driver has substantial rings on his hand. The leather damage on the steering wheel could also have occured the same way. It looks like something pulled and tore the leather rather than just heavy wear.

Should be sweet car. I purchased my 09 with the same miles.
Yup. Seems like the previous owner had some sort of sharp ring which caused so much corrosion/damage to shift knob and steering wheel. Its a nice car but not my ideal. (But I guess I can't ask for ideal at this price range). Btw, car is in NJ so yeah prolly saw some snow.

Originally Posted by rpg51
The knob looks like it has corrosion? Kinda weird. I've not seen that before. The S2000 badge on the left front fender looks off kilter a bit. Could be the angle of the photo? But, if it is crooked, I would ask why. Might be good explanation. Check the VIN stickers for sure. Lots of cars have accidents that don't show up on carfax. But, even if there is a replaced front bumper cover or something I would not let taht bother me if I got a good explanation and the other inspection comes out good. The reasonable price coming from a dealer is odd. Makes me a bit suspicious. How long have they had it for sale? Has the price dropped? But, if ll this stuff checks out and it runs well with good compression it could be a good car for you. Do your homework and be patient. Personally, I prefer private sales. But, if a dealer has the right car I would suck it up and pay the dealer mark up and be happy.
They had it for few months. Price dropped from 30k to where it is now. How do I do compression test?
Btw, what do you think of car that seller describes as "All stock except K & N air filter and dual magnaflow mufflers"? Should I even bother with this? I'm planning to keep the car for 1.5 year so is buying anything non-stock moot?
Old 11-25-2017, 12:50 PM

As mentioned above, you might consider having an s2000 familiar mechanic give it the once over including a compression test. Does the engine run smoothly up and down the rpm range?
Old 11-25-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

How did the car drive — was there anything that gave you pause? How familiar with the S2000 are you? Are you aware of the model year differences between the AP1 cars (2000-2003), the early AP2 cars (2004-2005) and the later AP2 cars (2006-2009)? There are those who have definite preferences amongst these different generations of the car. If you are not familiar with the differences then you might want to spend some time on this forum reading through various posts where there is a wealth of knowledge to be found. I'd also ask what is driving your desire to purchase an S2000? You mention that you only plan to own the car for a short period of time — are you hoping to sell it on later to turn a profit?

As a general rule, the lower the mileage and the newer the car, the more it will be worth. The modifications to this car are relatively minor and could be reversed by someone wishing to do so. That is a good price for a low mileage 2008 if there are no issues with the car. As others have recommended, you should try to find a way to have a competent mechanic familiar with the S2000 look it over. The damage to the shift knob, steering wheel and the convertible top wouldn't be deal breakers. However, the corrosion evident in the photo of the engine bay would give me some pause and I would want to get a much better look throughout the engine bay and underneath the car. This is where the competent mechanic comes in. As rpg51 pointed out, there definitely appears to be something funky going on with the alignment of the side marker and S2000 badge in that photo of the driver's side of the car. If that is not an optical illusion the I'd want to know what the deal is.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by GuthNW
How did the car drive — was there anything that gave you pause? How familiar with the S2000 are you? Are you aware of the model year differences between the AP1 cars (2000-2003), the early AP2 cars (2004-2005) and the later AP2 cars (2006-2009)? There are those who have definite preferences amongst these different generations of the car. If you are not familiar with the differences then you might want to spend some time on this forum reading through various posts where there is a wealth of knowledge to be found. I'd also ask what is driving your desire to purchase an S2000? You mention that you only plan to own the car for a short period of time — are you hoping to sell it on later to turn a profit?

As a general rule, the lower the mileage and the newer the car, the more it will be worth. The modifications to this car are relatively minor and could be reversed by someone wishing to do so. That is a good price for a low mileage 2008 if there are no issues with the car. As others have recommended, you should try to find a way to have a competent mechanic familiar with the S2000 look it over. The damage to the shift knob, steering wheel and the convertible top wouldn't be deal breakers. However, the corrosion evident in the photo of the engine bay would give me some pause and I would want to get a much better look throughout the engine bay and underneath the car. This is where the competent mechanic comes in. As rpg51 pointed out, there definitely appears to be something funky going on with the alignment of the side marker and S2000 badge in that photo of the driver's side of the car. If that is not an optical illusion the I'd want to know what the deal is.

This is the side profile photo for the car.

No, I do not plan to make profit from flipping cars. Just thought that once I get older, I won't be able to keep fun car like this for a long time
Old 11-26-2017, 01:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I would never believe a dealer who tells you he bought the car for $22K and spent $2k on it and wants $24k for it ! he is selling the car for no profit, he is lying! FACT. No dealer works for nothing.

I have never seen wear like the gearknob and the steering wheel have on a 30K car.

Be careful with this one
Old 11-26-2017, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by tozerman
I would never believe a dealer who tells you he bought the car for $22K and spent $2k on it and wants $24k for it ! he is selling the car for no profit, he is lying! FACT. No dealer works for nothing.

I have never seen wear like the gearknob and the steering wheel have on a 30K car.

Be careful with this one
I agree - be careful. There are some warning signs here which could all work out just fine and it could be a great car, but be careful. There are some things here that seem weird, that's all.

If you are not able to do it yourself, definitely have the car given a once over by an experienced S2k mechanic and ask him to check for signs of accidents that are not reported on the car fax and also, I would ask him to check the compression and give you the compression numbers. If the dealer won't let you do this - move on to something else.

Remember, right now you are in the driver's seat. After you pass title, the dealer is in the drivers seat if hidden problems pop up. Best to proceed with caution. There are many good solid s2ks out there for sale. If you are patient you can find the right one for you.

Also, do you have a pic of the left side showing the S2000 badge alignment? That pic you sent is the right side.

Last edited by rpg51; 11-26-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You should also pull out the tool tray in the trunk and look to see if the carpet underneath is wet. There are a number of threads about water in the trunk with a few main causes. The most problematic is improperly installed rain rails when the soft top is replaced. If it is wet, the liming should be removed to check for rust in the tool well. I would also make sure that you get the radio code if the car is equipped withe OEM unit. You'll need it if you have to replace or disconnect the battery. Also check the roll hoops on both sides. If you see any evidence of repair, they have been opened. Once opened, they cannot be repaired permanently.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 1,239 Likes on 940 Posts

It was driven in road salt or similar.

Is that a problem?

Otherwise, it looks ok. Must have been owned by someone who liked to fidgit. That explains the picked away steering wheel leather and scratched up shift knob. The steering wheel was probably picked away by the PO's thumb or thumb nail. He/she was constantly scratching at the wheel in that spot.

Shift knob likely caused by someone scratching at it with a ring.

This person wore rings on their right hand...and liked to scrape it on stuff due to boredom.

City miles spent in lots of traffic maybe?

Its more or less like any used car. Check for overall condition.

Small "S2000 specific" items have been listed, I'm sure.

The deal breaker for me would be the salt damage. The chassis parts (LCA's, subframes, small components, hardware, etc) are likely rusted up. S2000's make crappy winter cars.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
I agree - be careful. There are some warning signs here which could all work out just fine and it could be a great car, but be careful. There are some things here that seem weird, that's all.

If you are not able to do it yourself, definitely have the car given a once over by an experienced S2k mechanic and ask him to check for signs of accidents that are not reported on the car fax and also, I would ask him to check the compression and give you the compression numbers. If the dealer won't let you do this - move on to something else.

Remember, right now you are in the driver's seat. After you pass title, the dealer is in the drivers seat if hidden problems pop up. Best to proceed with caution. There are many good solid s2ks out there for sale. If you are patient you can find the right one for you.

Also, do you have a pic of the left side showing the S2000 badge alignment? That pic you sent is the right side.

Here you go

Originally Posted by B serious
It was driven in road salt or similar.

Is that a problem?

Otherwise, it looks ok. Must have been owned by someone who liked to fidgit. That explains the picked away steering wheel leather and scratched up shift knob. The steering wheel was probably picked away by the PO's thumb or thumb nail. He/she was constantly scratching at the wheel in that spot.

Shift knob likely caused by someone scratching at it with a ring.

This person wore rings on their right hand...and liked to scrape it on stuff due to boredom.

City miles spent in lots of traffic maybe?

Its more or less like any used car. Check for overall condition.

Small "S2000 specific" items have been listed, I'm sure.

The deal breaker for me would be the salt damage. The chassis parts (LCA's, subframes, small components, hardware, etc) are likely rusted up. S2000's make crappy winter cars.
Thank you. Yeah, I think it was mainly driven in NE region

Originally Posted by jts09
You should also pull out the tool tray in the trunk and look to see if the carpet underneath is wet. There are a number of threads about water in the trunk with a few main causes. The most problematic is improperly installed rain rails when the soft top is replaced. If it is wet, the liming should be removed to check for rust in the tool well. I would also make sure that you get the radio code if the car is equipped withe OEM unit. You'll need it if you have to replace or disconnect the battery. Also check the roll hoops on both sides. If you see any evidence of repair, they have been opened. Once opened, they cannot be repaired permanently.
I will check this as well. Thank you!

Originally Posted by tozerman

Be careful with this one
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Very new to S2000 and I just checked out a car. Am I doing it right?