S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Water in my trunk?

Old 02-02-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Water in my trunk?

Hey guys, in my 2005 S2000 I'm having an issue with water getting into the trunk. I've read some articles on the forums and many of them point towards water getting in through the trunk vent. I looked there and it just doesn't seem to be the problem to me but I could be wrong. Only the right side of the carpet is getting wet, the left side is bone dry no signs of water at all. Just looking for some second opinions. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2019, 02:41 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Hi

check the freeze plug under the right hand carpet(behind the rear wheel, you can see it looking up in the fender well)

also check your antenna gromet is facing the correct direction(inward with the lowest point pointing at the driver, not the front of the car)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

I bought an AP2 back in June that had water in the trunk. Mine was running down the left hand side and into the trunk tub. I stripped the interior, sealed the trunk vent, and checked to top drains to start off and still had some leakage.. My car also had an aftermarket top that was recently installed when I bought it. I noticed some details about the top install that seemed somewhat poorly done and assumed my leak was likely due to a top install. I found an installer on this board that has done hundreds of them and drove up to have him take a look. He determined that my rain rail was leaking/damaged and I needed to buy a new one. A new rain rail was around $200 + shipping for a large package and labor for having someone backtrack through a top install. The guy knew exactly what he was doing to gut the back side of the top in about 30 minutes and get to the root of the problem. The previous installer had broken a bunch of interior plastics and just botched the job. I replaced the plastics while I was in it.

Basically, I drove 1.5 hours up to him at first for him to diagnose it. I bought a new rain rail and the other interior plastics that I wanted to replace in the process and drove up again to have it fixed. A few hundred dollars later and I'm all sealed up. And this is why I am very specific as to who I let work on my car. I replaced a trunk pan in my old S2k due to a leaking trunk and didn't want to do it again. Because the old owner took a cheap/easy way to replace the top, the work sucked and caused what could have been a bigger/more expensive problem.

TL;DR Pour water on the backside of the top and see if it comes in through there. Clean the drains out, seal the vent anyways. Leave the interior out and see if you're still leaking. Find a known top installer and have them inspect your rain rail. If bad, replace it. If your top is bad at the same time, best to use the labor you're paying for to just replace the top at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (02-05-2019)