S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wear Holes in the Top (new info)

Old 12-07-2003, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bobby - well, you were fortunate, but this is exception it appears.

Curious - on plastic windows, I have always taken a small shop rag, rolled it up, and put it in the crease of the window as I lowered it - this trick has never put me in the crack zone.

????
Old 12-07-2003, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 01 top replaced at wesloh honda at around 30000 miles under warranty.

Im at 33000 miles and the NEW top is already showing signs of wear, it will turn into a hole soon.

I showed the service manager tony and he said they are not replacing any more tops even under warranty. Honda has put a hold on doing it as there is a class action lawsuit against them right now.

Id say just wait and see what turns out..
Old 12-07-2003, 10:41 AM

theres a law suit going on over it? sweet...we might get new tops that wont wear...maybe even glass back window from a recall....is there anyway we can all sign some kind of petition and get lots and lots of pictures to show honda....if this lawsuit doesnt turn out well....if enough people are dissatisfied im sure honda would do something about it if they wont to keep loyal customers.

Ryan
Old 12-07-2003, 11:30 AM

Owners are entitled to a fix hence the TSB for the 1-2 grind. This is equivalent to their being a defect in the fender that causes the tires to rub and wear at half thier life expectancy.

This is not a wear issue from normal use. This is a defect in the top mechanism that cuts into the fabric from normal use.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
Old 12-07-2003, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2K_LA
Owners are entitled to a fix hence the TSB for the 1-2 grind.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:44 PM

I was cleaning the interior of my S today, and after reading this thread, I thought I'd inspect for any wear spots in the top. I couldn't find any wear spots, but I did notice that there are plenty of rough and sharp points and edges on the convertible frame. It seems that these rough edges would definitely cause premature wear.

This is my first convertible, but I can't imagine the frame on other convertible would have so many rough points. Anyone else have any insight?
Old 12-19-2003, 06:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cyber_x
Old 12-19-2003, 06:23 AM

I got a call from Honda Service stating that they asked the DSM to look at my issue again and apply some sort of good will towards it. If he doesn't respond then they will handle it from their office. This is what I was told. So there seems to be some hope yet.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went to a convertible top repair/replacement shop yesterday, and they gave me some vinyl top material that's very close to ours. i'm going to put small (1.5"x1.5") patches over my wear spots to buffer the wear zone.

the owner of the shop didn't recommend patching actual holes, but stated that what he gave me would probably do as good of a job as anything else... of course, he recommended replacing the entire top.

Brian, i probably have enough extra material to give you some as a temp patch for your holes... i'm going to try and cover mine tonight.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:30 AM

What did they say to attach it with? Does it need to be sewn?

Quick Reply: Wear Holes in the Top (new info)