S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Well, it's a done deal... I got an M Coupe! (kind of long).

Old 03-20-2001, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who are interested, click here to find out the specifics on the stuff for sale. Cool? Cool!

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=9642

Hopefully this should eliminate any potential off-topic posts!
Old 03-20-2001, 08:21 PM

As my red eyed friend once said to me while driving a friends car leaving a high school party, "Drive it like she aint yours".
Good luck with the ride. It is an enthusiast's car and long before the time of the Stook I had always wanted one. I am anxious to here more about your car after a few miles are on her.

Mary Anne wheres Cha Chi......
Old 03-20-2001, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never thought of the S2000 as a young man's car.

Youth has its advantages. It also has its disadvantages.

As we mature, we learn how to use a sensitive touch to achieve the finer things in life, and we learn that we can have a "daily driver" that isn't exciting but meets our ordinary needs, and we can have an adventuresome companion for the amazing and extra-ordinary times of our lives.

Also, we can have a new S2000 and an eight year old Prelude.

I expect my relationship will be long as measured in decades, not months, and I'm just getting to know this baby! And she's just getting to know me.

Best to you ldogdotcom. I like the M-coupe lots from what I've read in this thread. Good compromise for where you are now. The S2000 would have been a compromise for me ONLY if I sold my Prelude. Now I feel like I've got it all.

Barry--age 53 years 11 months (bd 4/19/47)
Old 03-20-2001, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by AusS2000
Here it is!

An early M Coupe prototype perhaps?
Yeah Aus!!!

I love that movie!!
Old 03-20-2001, 08:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I must get it out on Video/DVD again.

I just read that the car that goes off the cliff really is the E-type. What a shame!
Old 03-21-2001, 04:49 AM

Congratulations, Ldog. Like some others here, I wanted an M Coupe too, but it seems the Germans only design their cars for miniature (relative to me) people. I hope you enjoy it and that it does well for you. It's a truly unique vehicle in todays marketplace.

FYI, if what I've been reading is true, there will be no M Coupe with the 315 hp motor. The plant in South Carolina is supposedly going to make only roadster versions of the Z3.
Old 03-21-2001, 06:37 AM

Received 564 Likes on 507 Posts

Ldogdotcom,

Good luck. Personally I love the M Coupe and was seriously looking at them before my S2000 but the dealers I went to were total weenies charging significantly over sticker. Let us know how it goes. BTW what year is it?
Old 03-21-2001, 06:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Ldogdotcom
If you've followed my last post, I was thinking of trading in the S2000 for an M Coupe in Atlanta. Well, long story short, the shady-ass dealer backed out, and I thought that I was going to keep my S2000. As it turns out, there was one at a dealer in Tampa, so I headed there for a test drive (after all, it's only 90 miles away). I just had to see if I would like the M Coupe as much as the S2000.

It turns out that I do. Actually a little more.

Don't flame me as of yet, I in no way am disrespecting the S2000. I got it in November 1999, and I loved every day that I had it. But for me, the M Coupe is a little bit more.

For one, my main concern was the longevity of the car. I got the TSB-55 done at 9000 miles, and then 6000 miles later, I got my entire transmission replaced under warranty. And to make it worse, I've never taken it to the strip, and the highest I've ever dumped the clutch (only 2 times did I do this) was at 5000 rpms (needless to say it burned the clutch, scored the pressure plate, etc... all this happened before the TSB) After the TSB, everything seemed fine. But things headed south, and I ended up getting a new tranny (didn't even drive my car too hard after the TSB was done, but something was askew). The new tranny was nice and (relatively) quiet, but of course, it had "sounds". A slight ringing. metallic sounds, rattles... all the things that make an S2000 and S2000. No big deal, but after a while, it got a little tiresome.

So, I decided to leave my girlfriend of 1 1/2 years while I still had a good bit of equity in it, and while they are still (relatively) uncommon here in Florida. And why the M Coupe? Well, I've loved the styling from day one (naysayers don't have to reply to this part of the post), and it has the fabulous M motor. Sure it's not the new 315 hp one, but it is still bulletproof. And after one drive, I was hooked. Sure, it doesn't have the blinding 9,000 redline, the cool start button or even the HID lights (man, I'll miss those), but it does have stump pulling torque, a more useful powerband (disclaimer: not disrespecting the S2000) more inside storage, and a bigger trunk. On top of that, it doesn't have the one thing that makes the S2000 so special... a convertible top.

Call me old (I'm 27), but I was getting really tired of caring and worrying about the top. Heat, UV, plastic rear window, vandals, it all made me sorta paranoid about the S2000 (and I'm not a paranoid person). Getting stuck in a torrential downpour with the top up, well, it sucks, and at times driving the S2000 wasn't fun at all. So, as painful as it was, I was thinking of getting rid of the S.

All in all, I don't feel that bad at all. At 80 mph, the M Coupe's motor is whisper quiet (I can actually hear the Harmon Kardon system!) has power whenever I need it, and the transmission is completely silent (but only a 5 speed ). A completely different beast from the S2000, but in my eyes, just as much fun.

So, that's it for now with my foray into the S2000 world. Maybe sometime in the future I'll get another one (unless the production rumors are true ), but until then, I'll be rolling in my newfound M glory.

By the way, I'll still be around. The comradery on this board is second to none, and all the people are good people with a passion for cars. So, even though I'm no longer part of the S2000 brother (or sister) hood, white/red 2624 will live on in spirit.

Well, that and I have a Muzmat (1 piece floormats and rear deck), Smokin' screen, Neuspeed STB, and a California Car Cover Company NOAH full cover for sale. Shoot me an email with an offer, and I'll get them out. So until then... drive safely.

Ldogdotcom
DO YOU KNOW THAT IN EUROPE THEY NOW STUFF THE VERY LATEST 321 BHP VERSION IN BOTH COUPE AND ROADSTER.
Old 03-21-2001, 06:57 AM

What is the price difference between the M Coupe and the new M3? I like the styling of the M Coupe just because it is different. But if the price is close doesn't the new M3 best the M Coupe in all performance areas? If the price is close, I'm curious why you chose the M Coupe over the M3.

Good luck with the new car.

-- tom
Old 03-21-2001, 07:33 AM

Ldog, congrats Man! Great color too! One question: how many miles on it?

Quick Reply: Well, it's a done deal... I got an M Coupe! (kind of long).