S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Went to pickup my new S2000, but found out the car has 135 miles. *more*

Old 06-25-2003, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to pickup my new S2000, but found out the car has 135 miles. *more*

hi guys its me again. ethan the hokiemax. It was my fault for not verifying the miles, but the "new, absolutely low miles" blue S2000 they had has 135 miles on the odo. they had 2 blues on the lot. One was a test drive vehicle(this is what I test drove night before), and the other was a new one sitting on the lot and I just assumed it had less than 15 miles.
Needless to say, I didnt pickup the car. I gave them my offer and my offer is $30k flat for the car + tax/tags/etc. The original offer we agreed on was 30,800 + tax/tags/etc. I was going to negotiate more from 30,800 because it was not SUPER DEAL in the first place, but after discovering the car has close to 140 miles, no way I'm paying 30,800 now. Its not just about the price. I DONT want a S2000 with 140 miles. I want one with less than 15. Even if they get me the car for 29k, I'm not sure if I wanna take it. As I told them last night, its not just about the price at this point. who knows how the car has been driven in that first 140 miles... Anyways, I'm supposed to go back to the dealer today to pickup my $1000 deposit check and to see the topdog manager one more time, and I have a feeling they might offer me $30 flat.

so the question is, veterans, if they wanna give it to me for 30 flat, do I take it or not???? I can go to jim coleman or ourisman honda and buy my brand spankin new s2000 from an enthusiast and not worry about the car being ragged on. I really dont see why I should get this 140 mile old s2000. but I do think 30 flat is a good deal. DO I TAKE IT ???? I need quick answers !
Old 06-25-2003, 09:00 AM

Really depends on how much piece of mind is worth. Personally I would walk and find another car.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:00 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If my car came with more than 50 miles I was prepared to decline it but for $30K out the door, inculding tax, title, etc, its a damn good deal to walk away from. Have them throw in an extended warranty and perhaps a free OEM body kit, and I would take it.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:01 AM

If you're going to get one for 30k, and not brand new, you might as well go to carmax and get one for thousands less with a few extra miles on it.

I think it's a buyer's market right now anyway. Tell them to get you a new one or trade off for one with less than 10 miles on it.

It's your money, not theirs.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:02 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Maybe get 30k flat and get them to throw in an extended warranty, then I might take it. Otherwise, go elsewhere, who knows if the person(s) who drove the car for the 150 miles knew not to rev past 5500 RPM, it might not cause problems right away, but you might see some problems down the road.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:04 AM

Hoiemax,

I would not take it...the break-in period for an s2K is so critical with its lifelong performance. Who knows what rpm this car was taken up to and what fuel was used. There are just too many questions and you're spending a lot of $$ and deserve a peace of mind. Go to an enthusiast and develop a relationship with your dealer so if anything was to happen in the future they could stand beside you.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:06 AM

peace of mind is important, you don't want to always wonder what went on with your car for 140miles that you never saw. I say go somewhere else and get one with less than 15miles. They should have a decent supply in the DC/north VA area right?
Old 06-25-2003, 09:09 AM

Personally, I would walk. Its not even about the damage that could have been done, its about me putting the first miles on my NEW car. I'm really suprised how many times I've heard of people getting new S2k's with over 15 miles on the odo. you would think the car dealers would know this.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:12 AM

ok... so the dominating opinion on the board is NOT TO TAKE IT.. and btw the $30 flat DOES NOT include tax/title. Even if the 30 flat deal included tax, do I wanna trade my peace of mind for a thousand bucks? I'll be paying for the car for the next 5 years and I think you guys are right.. I should walk away. Gosh its nice being a member of a s2k forum, as is with M3 and other exotic cars. Lots of mature, older and knowledgable members here !
Old 06-25-2003, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine got his for $33K flat including tax, license everything out the door in California....and we could have gone further with the deal (but my friend is stupid), If I were you, I would walk away from it...I don't care how low they offer you, I would walk away and find a brand new one with the same price.

Quick Reply: Went to pickup my new S2000, but found out the car has 135 miles. *more*