S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   What Can I Do With 13-14K? Looking to buy this fall (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/what-can-i-do-13-14k-looking-buy-fall-1191056/)

Beerski 01-16-2019 02:51 PM

What Can I Do With 13-14K? Looking to buy this fall

Hello everyone! I'm planning on picking up an AP1 this fall as a daily (assuming my budget won't get me into AP2 territory). Just set aside the last dollars for the remainder of my college tuition, and am wanting to buy myself my first sports car. My budget is 13-14k and am thinking that will get me a nice 60-70k mile example of an AP1?

I'm not very knowledgable about the automotive market, but I do know these cars are on their way back up. Will I have a problem finding what I'm looking for in 8 months or so? Currently driving a 300k mile '01 Accord, and can't wait to get out of it and finally in to something fun.

I'd plan on doing the Seibon carbon roof at some point, although I'm not married to the idea if it ends up being too much of a hassle; wheels and tires at some point as well, but keeping the engine stock as far as FI and internals.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Beerski 01-16-2019 03:24 PM

I guess I'm also wondering if it ends up that I could only afford one that's around 100k miles, is that too much for something I plan on dailying and keeping for a few years? I'm also writing a check and not financing, so my budget is my budget haha

darcyw 01-16-2019 04:14 PM

Stick to your budget. Buy the lowest mileage, non salvage titled (due to a wreck that is- if its salvage from stolen seats you will be ok) car you can within your budget. Be flexible and travel to get the car you want. You should find a decent AP1 for 14K.

Look for a mid year 2002/2003 with the glass rear window and other improvements. I believe the 2003 is the best of the AP1.

Spend your extra coin on maintenance and tires.
good luck
darcy

Beerski 01-16-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw (Post 24554934)
Stick to your budget. Buy the lowest mileage, non salvage titled (due to a wreck that is- if its salvage from stolen seats you will be ok) car you can within your budget. Be flexible and travel to get the car you want. You should find a decent AP1 for 14K.

Look for a mid year 2002/2003 with the glass rear window and other improvements. I believe the 2003 is the best of the AP1.

Spend your extra coin on maintenance and tires.
good luck
darcy

Thanks so much! Yes, I’m definitely willing to travel for a good example. Good to know my price range will be able to get me a good car

MrFunk 01-17-2019 04:58 AM

Yep. If that's your budget then be patient and just buy the lowest mile/best condition one you can find for that price. There are still plenty out there in the range.
Don't forget though, any used car will need maintenance immediately (I don't care how "well maintained" it was). All fluids should be replaced, pads and rotors, Valves adjusted... Probably will need new tires etc. I'd have at least 1k set aside for immediate maintenance as it's always good to level set everything.
My mother in law bought a very well maintained 2006 Civic last summer for about 5k. I then spent about 4k getting it level set for her so it will be trouble free for years for her. Tires, shocks, tune up, all fluids, Pads/rotors/shoes, floor mats, some window tint etc...
So just don't think you'll buy it for 14k and be done... if your budget is super tight then I'd suggest aiming for a 12k car and give yourself 2k to play with afterwards...

cgarrett23 01-17-2019 05:48 AM

The area of the country you live in greatly affects price as well. Areas where the cars are more abundant tend to see more cars for sale and at a more reasonable price. I can tell you that here in the Pacific Northwest a clean title 60-70k car would go for 15-18k. Time of year will affect prices as well obviously.

Chuck S 01-17-2019 07:06 AM

I've found small roadsters make horrible daily drivers where I've lived. The S2000 is so small as to be invisible to the typical inattentive commuter and they all seem to be driving SUVs anyway. I'd keep beating the 2002 Accord and save the S2000 for the weekends out in the country. :)

If you can't garage the S2000 I'd think more about a very inexpensive Miata hardtop rather than a tricked out Honda. Who knows, you may like the Miata! :)

-- Chuck

Beerski 01-17-2019 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 24555139)
I've found small roadsters make horrible daily drivers where I've lived. The S2000 is so small as to be invisible to the typical inattentive commuter and they all seem to be driving SUVs anyway. I'd keep beating the 2002 Accord and save the S2000 for the weekends out in the country. :)

If you can't garage the S2000 I'd think more about a very inexpensive Miata hardtop rather than a tricked out Honda. Who knows, you may like the Miata! :)

-- Chuck

yeah, I still have to drive one to be certain. My other option is an early build Subaru BRZ. Same kind of idea, but in a little more of a practical package. I’d rather be in the S2K just for the cool factor, not needing rear seats, Honda reliability, and I like the feel of cars that are a little older. But thanks, I’ll keep that in mind

Beerski 01-17-2019 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by cgarrett23 (Post 24555079)
The area of the country you live in greatly affects price as well. Areas where the cars are more abundant tend to see more cars for sale and at a more reasonable price. I can tell you that here in the Pacific Northwest a clean title 60-70k car would go for 15-18k. Time of year will affect prices as well obviously.

Totally. I’m in Southern Indiana, so it looks like I’ll need to do a little bit of a road trip to find a car, which is fine. I have time of year going for me I think, as I’ll be looking at purchasing a RWD convertible sports car right before winter hits hahaha

Beerski 01-17-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by MrFunk (Post 24555048)
Yep. If that's your budget then be patient and just buy the lowest mile/best condition one you can find for that price. There are still plenty out there in the range.
Don't forget though, any used car will need maintenance immediately (I don't care how "well maintained" it was). All fluids should be replaced, pads and rotors, Valves adjusted... Probably will need new tires etc. I'd have at least 1k set aside for immediate maintenance as it's always good to level set everything.
My mother in law bought a very well maintained 2006 Civic last summer for about 5k. I then spent about 4k getting it level set for her so it will be trouble free for years for her. Tires, shocks, tune up, all fluids, Pads/rotors/shoes, floor mats, some window tint etc...
So just don't think you'll buy it for 14k and be done... if your budget is super tight then I'd suggest aiming for a 12k car and give yourself 2k to play with afterwards...

Yeah I’ll make sure to have some funds set aside to get the car sorted for daily driving, for sure. I guess my main concern was that if I end up only being able to afford a 100k mile example that’s in good condition, if it will carry the same Honda reliability as I’ve known in the past as long as I sort out things that need to be replaced and take care of it.