Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Talk
Reload this Page >

What Can I Do With 13-14K? Looking to buy this fall

S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What Can I Do With 13-14K? Looking to buy this fall

Old 01-17-2019, 01:02 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz View Post
buy a nice S for around 8-10 and a miata for 4-5.
Only you can make an $8000 s "nice" Deckoz!!!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Liked 116 Times in 86 Posts

Beerski.....

I am kind of one of the resident wet blankets. I have owned several sports cars and spent a pretty good deal of money to modify my S2000 before I sold it. My advice would be this.....

By a nice example if it is a car you love and keep it as close to stock as possible. It won't be very fast by today's standards and will run neck and neck with the current Miata. You can still have fun in it. The more you modify it, the more you kill the resale, and resale is what these cars have really had going for them. You'd be surprised what a crappy tune and horrible exhaust would do for the appeal of these cars.

I kept mine for a decade plus, supercharged it with a fairly rare and desirable kit, kept it as pristine as I could and got decent value for it when I sold it.

That said, of all the money I have spent on modifying cars over the years, rarely did I ever feel like I really got any value for those modifications. I wanted to make a car do more of this or more of that so it would be more what I wanted. What I really wanted was a different car. The end goal was the Cayman I bought which I do not plan to change, and drive for a very long time. I like other cars and may add other cars to the stable but the Cayman stays. If the S2000 is the ultimate goal, spend away. If it is a nice car for now but you want to step up to something else in the future, all the modification will just put that next car further and further away. And depending on the modification you choose can bring endless headaches if it goes wrong, especially HORRIBLE tuners who can be lurking around every corner.

If you want the S for a few years, drive it, enjoy it, let it be, and get as much value back when you sell to move to something else. If you fall in love and want to keep forever, spend away.

Good luck and enjoy your purchase.

Last edited by vader1; 01-17-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cgarrett23 View Post
Only you can make an $8000 s "nice" Deckoz!!!
lol not sure what that means but, most buyers buy their cars and stare at them in the garage for 6 months every year when winter comes. Plenty of time to drink a beer and tinker.
Plus not much good on tv now a-days.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
Beerski.....

I am kind of one of the resident wet blankets. I have owned several sports cars and spent a pretty good deal of money to modify my S2000 before I sold it. My advice would be this.....

By a nice example if it is a car you love and keep it as close to stock as possible. It won't be very fast by today's standards and will run neck and neck with the current Miata. You can still have fun in it. The more you modify it, the more you kill the resale, and resale is what these cars have really had going for them. You'd be surprised what a crappy tune and horrible exhaust would do for the appeal of these cars.

I kept mine for a decade plus, supercharged it with a fairly rare and desirable kit, kept it as pristine as I could and got decent value for it when I sold it.

That said, of all the money I have spent on modifying cars over the years, rarely did I ever feel like I really got any value for those modifications. I wanted to make a car do more of this or more of that so it would be more what I wanted. What I really wanted was a different car. The end goal was the Cayman I bought which I do not plan to change, and drive for a very long time. I like other cars and may add other cars to the stable but the Cayman stays. If the S2000 is the ultimate goal, spend away. If it is a nice car for now but you want to step up to something else in the future, all the modification will just put that next car further and further away. And depending on the modification you choose can bring endless headaches if it goes wrong, especially HORRIBLE tuners who can be lurking around every corner.

If you want the S for a few years, drive it, enjoy it, let it be, and get as much value back when you sell to move to something else. If you fall in love and want to keep forever, spend away.

Good luck and enjoy your purchase.
Thanks, I really appreciate the perspective. I guess I really need to sit in one and drive it and see how much I REALLY want to have it. I do love small RWD cars, but funny thing is, a WRX is kind of the “goal” car that I can’t afford right now. Still, I’d be dailying an S2K/BRZ/Miata for a few years so I need to like it but be ok with getting it dirty, taking it on trips, etc. I’ll be doing some thinking
Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

In your situation I would be leaning towards a cheap Miata and flogging the nuts off it. Still lightweight, RWD, manual, open-top fun, but not going to suck up every saved penny that you know in your heart belongs to the future WRX. In the everyday crawl to campus/work and back you wouldn't miss the top end power, and if someone puts a dent in it in the carpark, meh, it's just a Miata.

You can also still hit the local autocross/track day with it and have nearly as much fun. Maybe not as much as the guys flying by in S2000s, but if you both park your cars backwards against a barrier you'll probably be crying less than them too.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Liked 128 Times in 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerski View Post

Thanks, I really appreciate the perspective. I guess I really need to sit in one and drive it and see how much I REALLY want to have it. I do love small RWD cars, but funny thing is, a WRX is kind of the “goal” car that I can’t afford right now. Still, I’d be dailying an S2K/BRZ/Miata for a few years so I need to like it but be ok with getting it dirty, taking it on trips, etc. I’ll be doing some thinking

The WRX is a shitpile, bruv. Sure, it has back seats and you probably get discounts on vape juice and Monster energy drink.

The S2000 is a better car in every way except for the above.

Idk why people think that a college age kid (or anyone under 100 years old) would have issues daily driving a S2000.

I'm sure you can find a good AP1 or maybe an AP2 within budget.

I wouldn't let a 100k mile example scare you off. I mean....its not like its a WRX or something.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I purchased a 2004 in your price range last fall and love it. But I’m going through all the fluids and will require new tires when it comes out of storage. It had 114k on the clock.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been shopping in about the same price range as you and I don’t think you will find on with 60k miles like you are looking for. That price range seems to get you more like 80-100k miles at this point if it’s nice.
50-60k mile ones all seem way more money for whatever reason.

I also probably wouldn’t want to DD an S2K if it was my only car. But you do you.
I have a few other cars at the moment and my DD is a V2 CTS-V so to me the S2k is the perfect complement.

I think I have settled on the 100k mile range being the sweet spot and around $10-11k, I have seen so many for sale with around 200k miles I wouldn’t worry about 100k miles there is plenty of years of driving left even if you were planning to DD.

Also if you need a daily and like the WRX it makes a great DD. I had an 07 WRX Sti swapped for many years and it was fantastic and definitely more practical. The older wrx especially the 06/07 won’t depreciate either.

Anyway good luck, at least you aren’t trying to buy a boring ass car like most people!

Old 01-17-2019, 03:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious View Post
The WRX is a shitpile, bruv. Sure, it has back seats and you probably get discounts on vape juice and Monster energy drink.

The S2000 is a better car in every way except for the above.

Idk why people think that a college age kid (or anyone under 100 years old) would have issues daily driving a S2000.

I'm sure you can find a good AP1 or maybe an AP2 within budget.

I wouldn't let a 100k mile example scare you off. I mean....its not like its a WRX or something.
they are completely different cars with different strengths. The WRX gets a bad rep because of idiots who don’t know anything ruining them.

They can be very reliable and very fast for not that much money if you know what you are doing.
And I sold my 07 for the same money I bought it for after driving it for 6 years and 60k miles and it made 400whp lol. Was lots of fun.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:16 PM

Liked 128 Times in 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSV View Post

they are completely different cars with different strengths. The WRX gets a bad rep because of idiots who don’t know anything ruining them.

They can be very reliable and very fast for not that much money if you know what you are doing.
And I sold my 07 for the same money I bought it for after driving it for 6 years and 60k miles and it made 400whp lol. Was lots of fun.

Sure, yeah. Everyone likes different things.

I can't get into Subarus lol. I always wonder if Subaru people even realize its their car making that ridiculous sound...or if its like when a dog farts and then runs around the room wondering WTF that sound was.

My friend has a mostly stock (2011?) STi. Its nice. But also stock and low mileage....so its only on engine #2.

You're right AF about idiots ruining them, though.

Quick Reply: What Can I Do With 13-14K? Looking to buy this fall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands