S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What happened to my tire??? (pics)

Old 08-02-2001, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to my tire??? (pics)

I noticed a slow leak a couple days ago in my rear driver's side tire. It happened at work, so when I got off, my friend used his air tank and filled the tire back up for me. It turned out there is a nail in the tire. No big deal, I'll get it plugged right? So I go to a tire shop and have them plug the tire for me. They take off the wheel and this is what they found:

The sidewall on the inside of tire has lumps all over it and was sure to blow out at any moment. The pictures don't show how bad it really is, but you can get the idea. In person, you can see the tire cracking around where the lumps are like its ready to blow out. Needless to say, I didn't bother having the tire plugged, but instead had to order a new tire.

I was wondering if anybody could give me any ideas as to why my tire got like this. Here are the facts: The tire has 5100 miles on it, my car was recently lowered, I just found a nail in the tire causing a slow leak, the ouside sidewall of the tire is perfect and all the other tires seem to be fine.

I don't think that lowering my car would have caused it because the rest of the tires would be the same way right?

Also, I don't think that my tire getting low from the nail would have caused it because wouldn't the other side be the same way?

I am just trying to figure out if I should take this to Bridgestone and see if I can prove it to be defective, or am I just s.o.l.?

Never seen anything like this before, please help me out.
Old 08-02-2001, 08:52 AM

F20C,

This is the result of hitting a pothole or something where the rim pinched the sidewall and now a bubble has formed. You really can't do anything but replace the tire bro.

It happens all the time on my previous car when I had some 17's on my car and the road near my house had alot of potholes. That's why I religiously purchased warranty from Discount Tire.
Old 08-02-2001, 08:54 AM

I've had small lumps in my tire before, but the whole way around??? There's more than a dozen lumps in my tire.
Old 08-02-2001, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phantom's right - but its usually on the outside, from a curb or something that hit the tire. Whatever hit it, disrupted the belts in the tire and they are separating in a small spot, and coming loose. Its different than tread separation, but still, you need to get it replaced.

and btw, dont ever get a tire plugged - please get it patched, you must take the tire off for both processes and the patch only takes a few more minutes to do.
Old 08-02-2001, 08:57 AM

Yikes!

I didn't notice that you had so many of them.

Have you been running the tire with too much pressure by chance?
Old 08-02-2001, 08:59 AM

I haven't changed the tire pressure since I bought it in April.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bridgestone is a division of Firestone and it could be a faulty tire like the explorers. Hopefully it was just one in the long line of great high performance tires.

Tan
Old 08-02-2001, 09:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tnguyen0567
[B]Bridgestone is a division of Firestone and it could be a faulty tire like the explorers. Hopefully it was just one in the long line of great high performance tires.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:18 AM

How is your camber? I had a the same problem on my prelude when it was lowered because it had too much negative camber and more weight was put on the insides of the tires.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:20 AM

Hey-

That's definitely something you hit, unless the nail was in that area and the contruction all around failed due to the penetration... but that's highly, highly unlikely.

Quick Reply: What happened to my tire??? (pics)