S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What to look for when buying a used S2000 / or just bought a used S2000

Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - I clicked on the getvin link to find it was some sort of malicious link: brings up SYSTEM ERROR WARNING. That link should be removed to avoid harming anyone's computers.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks like that site no longer exists. Regardless, link removed. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a new battery in the car and it started right up. However the car wouldn't stop revving on its own. Is that normal? I know the car needs to relearn idle and I was just wondering if this is a normal procedure. The car is a 2001 s2000 with only 42000 miles. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:13 AM

Great thread! This really makes me want to buy from someone who is meticulous and attentive to all of these sorts of things. I had a hell of a time buying a used WRX that I felt comfortable with, and it's becoming clear the S2000 is going to be a similarly tedious and nerve-wrecking experience. I'm beginning to realize I prefer a 'well sorted' and thoroughly maintained mileage car over one with very low miles and less attention.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:45 AM

Default S2000 I am considering

I am considering a spa yellow pearl s2000, 2001, with 74,000 miles on it. The price is 14k, and the leather is in near mint condition, as is the rest of the interior, it is completely stock except for the upgraded sound system. Sole owner, all original miles. It hasn't been stolen or wrecked, has a clean title, and has been maintained well. The body is in immaculate condition. Is this a price I should jump on? Also, it has the ten spoke wheels and the soft top is in good condition. The car has been owned and driven in Texas, so no salt on the roads.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by alittletorquer
Is this a price I should jump on?
If you’re cool with yellow and a plastic rear window, yes. That would be a pretty good deal if it were in my neck of the woods. If you can get it for 13k then it’s a no brainer in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:38 AM

Default Rings, rings, rings...

I test drove a Silver 2003 (June, 2017) with immaculate interior, slight blemishes in the pain, 39,000 miles for $19,000. Everything felt great and I fell in love. Driving around town, she lost about a quart every 1000 miles, something you just wouldn't notice on test drive. Then I put on a Stage One Supercharger and took her to the local road-course track. She was going through two quarts of oil every 30 minutes, or 12 laps (Feb,2018). Since I purchased her "As-is" and extended warranty wasn't even offered, add $10,000 and months of shop time to the price.

I don't know if doing a compression check prior to purchase would have saved me this trouble or not. Part of the $10,000 includes upgraded cluch and lines, a JDM replacement and Gendron FSB install. After long soul-searching prior to making the decision to repair her, I decided that this is probably the last car I'll ever buy. I've driven a few super-cars, some high end Porsches, a friends Ferrari and such. They're nice, but nothing I would drive to work and leave in the parking lot of a big hospital all day. This car doesn't scream "Look at me!" when commuting. It does have enough power and handling with slight upgrades, remains very drivable, and is very comfortable when driving top-down. Anyway, remember, RINGS!
Old 06-13-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Been away from s2ki for 7 years..

...but got bitten by the s2k bug again..lol third is a charm.
I found this S online,sold by a bmw dealer.Its a 2002,78k miles.Currently is getting the top replaced so I cannot do and see it till next week.The issue I have is the carfax.It has one accident,front has been hit.The car has a great maint record by one owner,but saw few things that made me think.
1.The differential has been replaced
2.Spark plug tubes/seals have been replaced
3.Valve cover gasket replaced
4.Clutch master cylinder and slave replaced.
All replaced by independent shop minus the diff.
My question is are those normal repairs and if not what could have caused them(abuse)?etc.Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Has anyone purchased sight unseen? Unfortunately I might need to do that in order to find a clean example in the color I want at a decent price. Any S2ks in the Northeast are usually on the higher end of the pricing spectrum and may have additional rust as opposed to a southern/western car. That being said are there any sight unseen mobile inspection services I can pay to take a look at the car? Has anyone else done something similar? Given my work schedule it'll be difficult to just jump on a plane.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I flew up to Manassas Virginia just outside DC Friday morning, from Clearwater Florida, to look at a 2007 Laguna blue with 72K. The Carfax showed 2 owners and a right front accident repair, no air bag deployment. The car was auctioned to another dealer. I took the above check list along.... thank you 'dammitjim' for taking the time to share the knowledge...invaluable info for anyone buying their first S2000.
The car looked stunning, paint looked great, rear factor spoiler, top looked new, tires full tread, seats looked great, HKS dual exhaust, a K&N intake, engine compartment was spotless clean, stock 17" wheels looked new.
Test drove the car, followed the check list info....back at the dealer I put it up in the air and checked the undercarriage, wheel bearings, axle boots...frame, looked for any signs of rust and oil leaks. I've restored at least 25 cars in my life, but I can be fooled as easily as any one if the car looks good....and this one did. All the car was going to need is new brake rotors and pads.
The only thing that concerned me were the missing Vin tags on the hood, two front fenders, and radiator support. Obvious the front had been repainted, but whoever did it, did an excellent job, all the body seams were prefect and a prefect paint match....the radiator support looked like it was painted but not damaged.....under the car no frame repair.
I liked the sales manager....should I buy the car?...Pointed out the need for new brake pads and rotors....no argument, he dropped the price to compensate for the parts.....18K even for the car.....should I take the plunge?

....I did, drove it back to Florida non stop, 18 hours of just pure car fun with the top down most of the way. What a great car the S2000 is for anyone that loves to motor.
Did I pay too much for the car, probably...do I regret it....not yet!

Last edited by GregS48; 08-21-2018 at 09:07 PM. Reason: correcting some details

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a used S2000 / or just bought a used S2000