S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What parts typically replaced when hydrolocked

Old 06-26-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts typically replaced when hydrolocked

What parts are typically needed to be replaced? How much are these parts typically including labor? I think I may have water damage...
Old 06-26-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on how bad your motor was damaged.. usually the valves are bent to hell but ive seen it to the point of bending the rods on some B series motors.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:55 PM

veryyyy very expensive fix.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:02 PM

Well my car was on my driveway through a thunderstorm. Subsequently, I started the car to put it back into my garage (I was lazy), and during this my car just stopped. Now it doesnt start and jump start wont work and my battery was recently replaced.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How high did the water get to? I don't think you'd have a hydrolock situation unless it was sitting in a big puddle or you drove through one. It's been raining soooo damn much here the last few days, but I don't think you'd have a hydrolock situation just with the car just sitting through a thunderstorm unless a deep puddle developed or you left the hood open. You don't have one of those CF hoods with vents, do you?

Warren
Old 06-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it crank? If it cranks it's not hydrolocked. Do you have a cold air intake? Unless you suck water into the engine through the intake, you're not going to hydrolock.

Typically hydrolocking either does nothing and you can pull the plugs and crank the motor to push the water out, it bends the rods which means the engine needs to come apart or it cracks the block which means you need a new shortblock. Normally it doesn't affect the valves.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor

^ This is not true. If you have an AEM V2, or even the first gen AEM and INJEN there is a possibility to hydrolocked while parked on a incline like a drive way. The way the filter is positioned (especially the AEM V2, with its slight tilted filter), and how a drain hole on the S2K dumps right above where the AEM/INJEN CAI filters sit can cause the intake to gather enough water at the bottom of the intake. Enough water that when you start the car it will get sucked into the car.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:36 PM

What could it be?

I dont have a CF hood, but I do have a CAI intake. Did not drive nor sit in a puddle. It cranks, it just doesnt turn. My home just had a leak also and the roof needs to be replaced also. I guess when it rains it pours
Old 06-26-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K,Jun 26 2006, 09:24 PM
^ This is not true. If you have an AEM V2, or even the first gen AEM and INJEN there is a possibility to hydrolocked while parked on a incline like a drive way. The way the filter is positioned (especially the AEM V2, with its slight tilted filter), and how a drain hole on the S2K dumps right above where the AEM/INJEN CAI filters sit can cause the intake to gather enough water at the bottom of the intake. Enough water that when you start the car it will get sucked into the car.

It's happened to me, and it wasn't even raining very hard. I knew this would be a problem with my AEM V2 so I took a blowdryer and tried to dry out the intake as much as I could before I started the car. When I started it, it ran fine, but then a few minutes later the car died. But, I was able to restart it after many cranks and it's been fine ever since. This was more than a year ago.

So, yes it is possible to hydrolock your motor with an AEM V2 even if the car is just sitting on the driveway.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by YeLLoWs2knVA,Jun 26 2006, 09:36 PM
What could it be?

I dont have a CF hood, but I do have a CAI intake. Did not drive nor sit in a puddle. It cranks, it just doesnt turn. My home just had a leak also and the roof needs to be replaced also. I guess when it rains it pours
If you look inside you engine bay, there is a hole where the water drains down into...the location of the INJEN/AEM intake filter happen to be right below this drain hole. Many people plug the hole, preventing the water from draining down into the filter. Especially when your car is on a incline, the water can gather near the back corner of the intake piping...So what you should do it get down and remove the filter and see if there is any water in your intake pipe. Then crank your car with the spark plugs out to get all the water out. Then change your oil, replace your spark plugs let the car run and then change your oil again.

Quick Reply: What parts typically replaced when hydrolocked