S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What parts typically replaced when hydrolocked

Old 06-26-2006, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K,Jun 26 2006, 11:43 PM
If you look inside you engine bay, there is a hole where the water drains down into...the location of the INJEN/AEM intake filter happen to be right below this drain hole. Many people plug the hole, preventing the water from draining down into the filter. Especially when your car is on a incline, the water can gather near the back corner of the intake piping...So what you should do it get down and remove the filter and see if there is any water in your intake pipe. Then crank your car with the spark plugs out to get all the water out. Then change your oil, replace your spark plugs let the car run and then change your oil again.
Will try it tomorrow.

Are torquing the spark plugs to the specs as important? I do not have a torque wrench.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes, it is important, too lose or tight can cause serious problems. Do not attempt this without one.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You people just don't understand what a "hydrolock" is then. It's not just some water in the intake. That won't hurt an engine. Hell, you used to decarbonize engines by pouring a glass of water slowly into the intake.

Hydrolock means you'd got enough water in a cylinder that when you crank the engine or it's running, the piston runs close to top-dead-center and the water, since is doesn't compress, forcible stops the piston in it's tracks. That's why things bend. Hydrostatic Lock. If it cranks, you're NOT hydrolocked, not that instant anyway.

I'll be honest, smart people don't run CAI's any more.

1) Firstly temp studies have shown that the engine compartment when you're running down the road is about ambient temp. Ambient's all a CAI pulls in.

2) By increasing the length of the intake track, you're sacrificing high RPM power. Your CAI is costing you HP at high RPM's.

3) Is an unnoticable potential increase in HP worth buying a new motor?

I used to run a CAI until I did some research. I cut it down to a short RAM now and don't have to worry every time it rains. I will agree it's possible to get enough water into an engine when it's sitting there in the rain to hydrolock. The original poster though doesn't have ANY symptoms of a hydrolock though.

OP, you need to do some basic trouble-shooting. What are you missing? You need spark, fuel and compression for the engine to run. Which don't you have now?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

A wet filter isn't going to hydro lock an engine. the engine has to injest gobs of water; in others words you pretty much have to submerge the filter. Even if there was a puddle of water sitting under the filter on the plastic tray, our engine isn't strong enough to suck the water up vertically. I let my car sit out in the monsoon rains with a vented hood and part of the filter is under the vent. No problems *knock on wood* sofar
Old 06-26-2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ek9,Jun 27 2006, 12:47 AM
You people just don't understand what a "hydrolock" is then. It's not just some water in the intake. That won't hurt an engine. Hell, you used to decarbonize engines by pouring a glass of water slowly into the intake.

Hydrolock means you'd got enough water in a cylinder that when you crank the engine or it's running, the piston runs close to top-dead-center and the water, since is doesn't compress, forcible stops the piston in it's tracks. That's why things bend. Hydrostatic Lock. If it cranks, you're NOT hydrolocked, not that instant anyway.

I'll be honest, smart people don't run CAI's any more.

1) Firstly temp studies have shown that the engine compartment when you're running down the road is about ambient temp. Ambient's all a CAI pulls in.

2) By increasing the length of the intake track, you're sacrificing high RPM power. Your CAI is costing you HP at high RPM's.

3) Is an unnoticable potential increase in HP worth buying a new motor?

I used to run a CAI until I did some research. I cut it down to a short RAM now and don't have to worry every time it rains. I will agree it's possible to get enough water into an engine when it's sitting there in the rain to hydrolock. The original poster though doesn't have ANY symptoms of a hydrolock though.

OP, you need to do some basic trouble-shooting. What are you missing? You need spark, fuel and compression for the engine to run. Which don't you have now?
I have fuel. Not sure about compression. Will check spark plugs tomorrow and might as well replace them.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 PM

maybe a stupid question.....but since i have full coverage insurance...would they cover it?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:36 AM
Ek9
Banned

When I say fuel, I don't mean just in the tank. It's got to be pressurized by the fuel pump to at least, 40-50 PSI (not sure what's stock on an S2K) or the car won't run. Do you hear the pump come on when you turn on the key?

I'd try another key, in case the immobolizer's active.

As for the insurance thing, I'm not sure. If you can show that the rain broke your engine then I'd think yes. If your CAI's WHY the rain broke the engine, I'd switch back to the stock intake before I let an adjuster look at it.

The no run thingy though, that's something for a dealer (or you) to fix I'd think.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipboy326,Jun 26 2006, 10:07 PM
maybe a stupid question.....but since i have full coverage insurance...would they cover it?
generally, yes.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Ek9
Banned

Could you elaborate? Under what provision would the insurance cover this? Would they treat this like a tree that fell on the car or something? Act of god like?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jun 27 2006, 12:56 AM
A wet filter isn't going to hydro lock an engine. the engine has to injest gobs of water; in others words you pretty much have to submerge the filter. Even if there was a puddle of water sitting under the filter on the plastic tray, our engine isn't strong enough to suck the water up vertically. I let my car sit out in the monsoon rains with a vented hood and part of the filter is under the vent. No problems *knock on wood* sofar
a wet filter no, but an AEM intake is capable of collecting more than enough water in the tube to lock up an engine. Especially if the car is parked facing uphill on a slanted driveway.

"gobs" of water? is that a technical term? Think about it for a minute. Our cars have a VERY small engine. 2.0 liters on an AP1. 4 cyl so that means each cylinder displaces .5 L. With an 11:1 compression ratio you are talking about a space roughly .05 L or 1.5 oz in size at the top of the stroke. Trust me, gobs of water is not needed to screw up your engine

Quick Reply: What parts typically replaced when hydrolocked