S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What's a good jack & jack stands to buy?

Old 07-05-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah but sears carries two craftmen jacks. one is a 2 ton that is $200 and the other looks almost the same but a different color scheme which only has a 1.5 ton capacity which cost $100. I'm trying to get the 2 ton myself and trying to figure out if we're talkin about the same one.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ProV1,Jul 5 2006, 09:33 AM
what's a good jack to use for S2000 (low clearance?)? Keep in mind I'll use the jack for all of my cars, but I"m guessing a low clearance jack won't have a problem w/ a Honda SUV w/ 9" of ground clearance.

Are $30 Sears craftsman jacks already pretty good for an occasional DIY garage warrior? or should I spend more, and if yes please recommend a product. I don't want to go cheap on a jack & jack-stands and risk getting injured or even killed while working. But then again money doesn't grow on trees and I do not want to go overkill and spend meaningless $ either.

I'm thinking about 3 ton sears craftsman jack stands btw.
I went the Craftsman route....I think I paid $45 for a jack and two jack stands. Been using them for over three years, probably would go the same brand again if needed.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Craftsman aluminum 1.5 ton. Not sure how much I paid, but I got it on sale. Would recommend to anyone with an S2000, unless you're lowered by 4 inches.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...UseBVCookie=Yes
Old 07-05-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the craftsman, autozone el cheapo jack don't last more than a year if you use them often.

craftsman's jack are warranty for life.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The craftman jack i bought has only has a ONE year warranty (yeah, strange).

i got the cheapo 2 ton jack with two jack stands for $28 on sale a couple weeks ago. Think the regular price is around $55.

Works fine for me, but you have to get the car up on wood blocks or something before jacking it up. Jack won't fit under a stock-height car. I didn't get a low-profile jack because i didn't want to spend the extra money.

A bunch of people recommend a craftsman, costco, or harbor freight jack.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:16 PM

Sears Craftsman tools & instruments only have 1 year warranty now (except for hand tools), which SUX!

The problem w/ the $30 Craftsman jack is that it's got a very short handle. The $119 aluminum one above looks nice, I'll prolly wait for a sale on that one.

I've seen ppl use 2 jacks - one el-cheapo low profile one to initially lift the car a little bit, and then use a regular jack.

BTW, buying 4 jack stands is a great idea. Even if I get the cheap $30 sears jack, I'll get 4 4-ton SUV jack stands for sure. There are some things you just cannot skimp on, and jack stands would be one of them...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:17 PM

btw, after my research this is teh best jack money can buy - AC Hydraulics DK13HLQ. 3.1" clearance!!

too bad it's $600+

Old 07-05-2006, 08:19 PM
jah

i have a sears 1.5ton floor jack, p/n 50250, silver/red. its lite weight and easy to use, you can lift a car somewhat fast.

after about a year+ of moderate use the single front roller stopped turning. it managed to do this mid project so i took it apart and used a spray oil with no good result. next morning it worked fine. odd.

another person i know had the same fate.

i have a couple sets of harbor freight jack stands, i use the smaller height set on the cars.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM

I won't get into specific brands, models, etc. but here are a couple of points to consider when shopping for a floor jack:
1. Maximum lift - higher is generally better.
2. The size of the pad/plate that touches the car - a larger pad is generally easier to balance a transmission on when replacing a clutch, etc. Imagine balancing a transmission on the 3-4" pad that some of the less expensive units have.
3. The shape of the frame - a 3" minimum height means nothing if the sides of the frame slope up sharply so that you cannot get the pad under the front center jack point.
4. The minimum handle stroke necessary to jack the car - it does no good to get the jack pad under the front center jack point if the handle must be raised so high that it hits the bumper.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ProV1,Jul 5 2006, 11:16 PM
BTW, buying 4 jack stands is a great idea. Even if I get the cheap $30 sears jack, I'll get 4 4-ton SUV jack stands for sure. There are some things you just cannot skimp on, and jack stands would be one of them...
I agree wholeheartedly: if my body is under the car, I don't want to worry whether some cheap "Made in China" stand is up to the task or not. An inferior jack would be an irritation; an inferior set of jack stand could get you hurt.

Quick Reply: What's a good jack & jack stands to buy?