S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What's throttle steering?

Old 07-04-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's throttle steering?

What's throttle steering? Is it a good thing to do?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Speedster,Jul 4 2006, 11:37 PM
What's throttle steering? Is it a good thing to do?
It's fun, but whether it's a good thing to do or not depends on the place you do it and the reason you do it.

Throttle steering is just what the name implies. Some cars naturally steer with the throttle when sliding around corners. That is, the radius of the turn being executed is adjusted by throttle application. In general, more throttle will tighten the turn while less will widen it, though things can work just the opposite with some cars or setups. I find throttle steer pretty hard with the S2000, but perfectly natural and easy with most Jags. Less bias toward oversteer would make it easier with the S2000, and I'm slowly moving my car in that direction, 'cause it's something I thoroughly enjoy.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=Eurotuner.com]

Throttle Steer

Turning is not accomplished completely through steering inputs. Throttle steer is when you change the direction of a vehicle in a turn through the use of the throttle instead of the steering wheel. Throttle steer is a great technique for keeping a vehicle on the correct line, without upsetting the vehicle
Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Giving enough gas to make the rear end break away so it snaps to the outside of the turn. This is also called power induced oversteer. Ever seen drifting?

One scenario where I use this a lot is during winter driving. If I'm going into a corner too fast, the front end will just plow (understeer). To get the car pointed in the right direction, I would give it gas to spin the rear tires. This breaks traction and the back end snaps around so the car points in the direction I want to go. This is not something you want to do on dry roads as the action/reaction is quite abrupt and can be very difficult to control. Also, it would make a lot of noise and attract the police. They would see it as "stunting" or dangerous driving.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jul 4 2006, 11:45 PM
In general, more throttle will tighten the turn while less will widen it, though things can work just the opposite with some cars or setups. I find throttle steer pretty hard with the S2000, but perfectly natural and easy with most Jags. Less bias toward oversteer would make it easier with the S2000, and I'm slowly moving my car in that direction, 'cause it's something I thoroughly enjoy.
Ok, it's redundant but your description isn't accurate.

To the poster. Have you ever played with your throttle input while in turn at moderate speed? Try next time. Becareful though. As you release the throttle gently, you will feel the nose of the car tucking right into the inside of the turn. When you increase the throttle, the car will tend to push and thus gets away from the inside of the turn.

Simple as that.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:52 PM

(not dry)
Saves money on tires too.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedster,Jul 4 2006, 09:37 PM
What's throttle steering?
Fun, up to the point when it isn't fun any more.

The argument over whether the throttle widens the turn or sharpens the turn is actually a question of whether you are understeering or oversteering. Either is possible.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 PM

Does using throttle steering imply that it's NOT the fastest way to get thru a corner. The reason being that if there is [some] slippage going on, then you're not putting optimal traction on propulsing out of a corner?

In other words, is it more of a fun factor, or a way to correct entry turn speeds?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=soundzero,Jul 4 2006, 11:51 PM]Ok,
Old 07-04-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jul 4 2006, 11:54 PM
Fun, up to the point when it isn't fun any more.

The argument over whether the throttle widens the turn or sharpens the turn is actually a question of whether you are understeering or oversteering. Either is possible.
The poster drives S2000. Throttle pushes the car while in turn. Releasing induces opposite. Been tracking for a few years now. Not sure what you are saying here.

Quick Reply: What's throttle steering?