S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Are the whites and LBP AP2 really worth that much more?

Old 03-03-2019, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the whites and LBP AP2 really worth that much more?

I have been looking at some of these whites and blues that I like. But the prices seem so much higher than just 5 years ago for whites. What would you pay for a white over a red, yellow, or even blue? The only S color I am not fond of is a Suzuka. I saw one in person and not too crazy about it either. I think I would pay $1000 more. But $2-3k more just for a color seems too much especially when the mileage is approaching 100k. A car under 25k miles is collectible. But, I see ones hovering at 100k and they still think it's collectible. Yeah I get it, pricing is based on the owner. What do you guys think?
Old 03-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've only seen a few of the colors in person. I'm not a big fan of black, silver or white. I really really like NFRed. A lot. I would like to see either of the yellows or blues.

As far as price, I do wonder if it has to do with production numbers/interior combinations or something. In some cases, it really matters.. in others, not so much. I have a somewhat rare/desirable Jeep. It's worth more than a normal Jeep of that year... but even though there are only 88 with my color combo, I don't think that, in and of itself, adds anything unless the buyer is dying for it.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonMG
I've only seen a few of the colors in person. I'm not a big fan of black, silver or white. I really really like NFRed. A lot. I would like to see either of the yellows or blues.

As far as price, I do wonder if it has to do with production numbers/interior combinations or something. In some cases, it really matters.. in others, not so much. I have a somewhat rare/desirable Jeep. It's worth more than a normal Jeep of that year... but even though there are only 88 with my color combo, I don't think that, in and of itself, adds anything unless the buyer is dying for it.
I feel the same way. I had a Berlina but it was a pain to keep clean. I should have bought my friends Jeep for $4000. It is the only other open top I don't mind. I used to not like NFR but it's grown on me. I think it would be more unique than a Silverstone and be 3rd on my list now.

What do you CA guys think a 06 100k mile white/blue is worth in the SoCal area?
Old 03-03-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long story short - YES !

GPW with Tan interior

=)
Old 03-03-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I think the production numbers are such that these two colors are less numerous and therefore they command a bit higher price. Its not a matter of what you like, or I like. Its the rarity factor.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

colour is personal- personally, I love the Suzuka- favourite colour for the S actually.
But, more people will prefer certain colours and if that colour was produced in lower quantities (White- fewer made, less volume, higher demand vs. Silverstone- lots made, lots of volume, lower price on average).

At the end of the day, colour doesn't make a car drive any better or faster or whatever. Set your budget and hope your favourite colour comes up. My first S was Silverstone. I now have Suzuka.

darcy
Old 03-03-2019, 06:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I’m a big fan of Silverstone, it was the color in all of the original advertising material, and it was the color I first saw at an auto show in 2000. I think it’s the color that works best with the car’s lines. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 03-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I don't think that any of the available colors look bad on this car but I do feel that Silverstone over Black is pretty iconic when it comes to the S2000. I wanted a stock, low-mileage AP2v1 car and GPW over Tan was my favorite combo so that's what I targeted. I had no idea about production numbers at that time but learned that availability was the biggest problem facing me as there just weren't very many of these particular cars coming up for sale. In the end I did end up finding what I wanted for a fair price. I drove three hours away to make the purchase which I didn't think was too bad. I likely would have been willing to pay a few thousand more for this particular car but not just because of the color but also because of the mileage and overall condition.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I was more interested in finding the right S, not necessarily the right color S. I wanted a low mileage, stock '06 or later. I've never been a fan of yellow, white or black. I have owned two red RX-7's and a silver RX-8, so when I had a choice between a NFRed and a Suzuka, I chose the Suzuka. Don't regret the choice. Love the car and the color.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

People get all excited about color. I have LBP simply because it was the best buy when I was rready.Value is determined by the market. Use other people's desires to save yourself some $, get a color that's cheaper, they all drive the same. Put the extra cash into maintenance, mods, and driving events.

Quick Reply: Are the whites and LBP AP2 really worth that much more?