S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who is this XVIPER guy anyway? (loooong!)

Old 11-25-2003, 06:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Who is this XVIPER guy anyway? (loooong!)

AND WHY HE DOES WHAT HE DOES!

Not sure if this belongs here so mods, please move this wherever you like (Dumpster? )

Many of you know me for my many "How To's" and "DIY" threads on all kinds of stuff.
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=108435

Many of you have PM'd me for help with one issue or another with your cars or just to say hello. In a 7 day span earlier this month (including replies to replies) I counted over 80 PMs. And I've answered all of them and tried my best to send you along on the right path.

But occasionally (and lately), you've seen me "get into it" with one board user or another. (I'll speak on this later.)

A bit about myself:
I'm a "Vintage" owner (53 and counting). I have kids older than many of you and grandkids older than many of your kids. Born in Hong Kong, raised in the west, married to a blue eyed blond (well, till the years got to work on it). I spent 20 years of my life in Medical Research in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary. When my old boss retired, I became a firefighter for the City of Calgary. This has been going on for nearly 12 years now. As my "profile" indicates, I'm a "car nut" who happens to be an S2000 enthusiast at the moment.

What's with the bizarre avatar? Here's a copy/paste of one of the many explanations I've written:
Quite some time ago, a friend emailed me an attachment (a joke). It was something to do with a new camera by Sony that could take a computer user's picture while sitting at the keyboard. The last frame was this baby picture blown up to the size of the whole computer screen. My wife happened to be looking over my shoulder and gave me a shot about how that baby has the same fake, stupid, goofy smile that I put on whenever she asks me to pose for a picture. Well, that sealed it. I made it my avatar from that point on.
That email attachment circulated all over the world and then got changed into yet another kind of attachment and I got it again from a friend from Spain.

My car? Aside from what's under my avatar, here's what I've done to it:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...233#post2294233

Several people have asked how I can know as much as I do about this car. You can label me as a "Shadetree Mechanic" - an avid "do it yourselfer". I'm not a licenced mechanic. All I know, I've learned over the years working on all my cars and motorcycles. Some of my experience comes from learning from my own mistakes. I learn from all the books, magazines, service manuals and TV mechanics shows over my lifetime. I do NOT know absolutely everything about the S2000 and have never claimed to. I do the best I can based on what I've absorbed over the years. If I don't know, I'll tell ya. If it's my best guess, I'll tell ya that's what it is. I'm NOT always right, so have a good laugh when I'm wrong. Just be careful how you throw that rock while you're laughing.

So what's the deal with me and this forum? I'm an S2000 enthusiast, remember? I came to this board originally to pick up as much info as I could before I bought the car and then afterwards to continue my "education". This board had such an impact on me that I felt obliged to put something back.

As many of you know, I spend a lot of time here. Why? I have, what I call my "retirement" job. It affords me a great deal of time both on the job and off.
Don't I have a life? Hmmm, what would you classify as a "life". Does that mean "clubbing"? Been there, done that, outgrown it. Does it mean boozing and drinking at every opportunity? Been there, done that, has no appeal anymore.
Don't I have any friends? Yeah, I've got a few very close friends. Short of killing someone for them, I'd do almost anything for them and they for me. (Well, maybe I'd kill for them, too. )
Going out with friends? Sure I do that occasionally but we all have our own lives now. We don't have to be joined at the hip every moment. Besides, this gets pretty expensive.
And what about internet friends? Don't they count? As a result of my participation on this forum, I have travelled and met a great many REALLY fine people on this continent. Don't have a life? Not a bad life if I do say so myself. And those owners who live here, know that I'd give the shirt off my back for them (well, maybe an oil change or two). I'm there when they need me. Why? Sucking up? Yeah, right! To those who live here: What have I gained from you other than your friendship? Whatever you do for a living, have I taken advantage of your "services"? That's not me!
Hobbies? Is it so bad to have cars as your hobby (as your life)? Last I heard, an S2000 is a car and this forum is an extension of the car, so is it so bad to spend so much time here when it's a hobby? As a "perk", I've communicated with people from all over the world. It's kinda neat that we can do this so easily. So what's so bad about that? Not a bad life at all. Maybe it's those who accuse me of having no life who don't have one themselves?

Now, to the gist my post: Why do I get into so many confrontations with people? Because the car is my hobby and this board is an extension of my interest, I spend a lot of time here. I have met HondaGal and consider her a friend. I have talked to Krazik on the phone and communicated with Cthree by PM. I consider myself to be friends of theirs on a different level, but friends none the less. In a sense, I feel like I'm sorta the "black sheep" of the S2Ki family and those three "put up with me". It's kinda like a "home away from home", while at home and away. And I wanna keep it "tolerable".

There has always been rude and unpleasant people show up on this board, but lately, because of this board's rising popularity on the internet, we've seen an influx of antagonistic and unpleasant people. Feeling the way I do, I take offense that such people are coming here to make it a lesser place for the rest of us. Moderators have their hands tied in how they can handle these sorts. They have to maintain a certain level of "decorum" and diplomacy in dealing with them. I don't. They can't act in all cases when they would like to because the "user" is constantly skating on the edge. When I see someone who is purposely antagonistic and unpleasant, I may ignore them or I may not depending on how much of a is in me at that moment. I may or may not "bait" them to see what they are really made of. Watching how they take the bait and what they do with it will tell volumes about their true nature. I almost always let them throw the first stone. Then, I do what moderators cannot do because they don't always see it right away. I throw more stones back, bigger stones. Why?

First, it's good for "business". Controversy always brings lots of views and attention. It increases traffic. If that's at the antagonist's (and mine) expense, I'm good with it.
In some circumstances, this brings to light for all to see (moderators included) what we're dealing with. Sometimes as a result, they get themselves banned by how they react (works for me). Sometimes they go away on their own, having realized that everyone here know of their true character and no longer give them the attention they seek. And sometimes, they find a CLUE and come back far more civilized than before I "rode" them and become valuable contributing members here.

Sure, this is the internet and it can be all an imaginary world to some. It's all fine and good till someone gets taken advantage of. I despise liars, cheats and thieves. We've seen many of those too. When an imposter pulls one over on us, we are insulted in the worst possible way. If you don't mind the desception, fine. As long as you know it's being done to you, OK. I think most of you are smart enough to figure it out eventually. But if I see a good person getting close to the edge of the waterfall, I'll open your eyes. You be the one to decide to see what's there.

I generally won't back down. I'll chance sacrificing myself if that's what it takes to root out unsavory people. I'll keep going till the thread is locked, or put in the Dumpster or till I am banned. Call me an ASS, think your worst. Ruin my reputation? I do what I do for the enjoyment and the entertainment value and to contribute to the site in several different ways. The "reputation" is what others bestowed upon me. I don't do it for the recognition so if I end up spoiling my reputation, so be it. And this, I do for the good, decent people who use this forum. They deserve one of the best sites on the internet.

I believe that ALL those who have been here along the way have contributed to making this one of the top sites there is. Who knows how long it will last and how long each of us will be here. Eventually, my S will get replaced and I'll move on. If the site is still thriving at that time, the unsavory people will run amuck unless someone else steps up to harass them.

Why did I post this? Why do I care? It's just the internet after all!
Well, because I've met hundreds of you in person and mostly for you (and those who know you), I wanted to "explain" a few things. For the rest, I guess it just "doesn't matta".
Old 11-25-2003, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car hauls ass in the snow man.. That's all I can say...... Thanks for the advice...
Old 11-25-2003, 06:31 PM

Xviper,

let me be the first to say...Youdaman.

I mainly just use this site to look for information and don't get to involved for the just the reasons you stated. It seems that more times than not it turns into a flaming contest. I could give a Rats Ass about that stuff. The S2000 is a passiona dn a interest, and the internet is a way to explore that.

I've always enjoyed your detailed "how to's" and the rest. When I want to search for solid fact and not flaming opinions, I search for your threads.

Wer've never spoken, or PM'd, but I've looked up to you and the way you help us. Thanks for doing what you do. You are truly Da Man.

I just had to come out of the background on this one and state my feelings. We need mature heads and solid information with care behind it.

I'm sure I am one of 100's who feel this way. Don't lose the passion, or let the Aholes frustrate you )
Old 11-25-2003, 06:31 PM

XVIPER, where would we be without you? very inspiring post by the way : )
Old 11-25-2003, 06:33 PM

You are one of the guys that I completely respect on the board. I personally am glad you are here on the board and it is a better place because you are here.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:39 PM

xviper, you the man And thanks for sharing all your knowledge and advices, much appreciated by all of us. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:41 PM

Old 11-25-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
I can't think of ONE person, who's opinion matters, that thinkg ill of you. On the contrary, you are one of the most valued members around (along with UL, Cthree, Gernby, et al) and your advice is often sought b/c you know you sh*t...self-educated or not. I myself am in a profession in which is much like owrking on cars and I'll say this: the best experience comes from doing the procedure. Whether it's an oil change or taking out an appendix, you have to do it, get into trouble, get yourself out of trouble, and finally succeed to REALLY know what you're doing. Long and short of it is, you can have all the book/technical knowledge, but if you can't apply it or haven't applied it then its worthless. Your knowledge base comes from experience and IMO, that is the most valuable. When I need help on a case, I don't consult a book nearly as much as consulting someone else who has been there.
Well, I apologize for the long post, but I just wanted you to know that you are appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:54 PM

Old 11-25-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Who is this XVIPER guy anyway? (loooong!)