S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why did you buy an S2000?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did you buy an S2000?

Ive seen many people bash on our S2000s saying they suck. Ive seen many praise them saying they are awesome. There are a lot of cars out there that are faster than the S. What made you settle with the S? For me it was the fact that I loved a convertible whose top I could put down and enjoy a nice back road here and there with open wind in my face. Its handling seems to be superb and The S to me was always a sharp looking car. Ive had the privilege of owning an AP1 and god I miss that 9000 rpm redline but now I own an AP2. What made you buy this car out of the many cars out there?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by importcraver2000
Ive seen many people bash on our S2000s saying they suck
I've almost never seen anyone (seriously) bash on an S2000. That is unless you count random 14 year olds in YouTube comments. Every car has a purpose or something it was ultimately designed to do, and as far as the S2000's goal of providing a raw, driver-centered experience, it does it very well. Most people (even while admitting it's not the fastest or most powerful) don't deny this.

Personally, I bought my S because I've always had an admiration for Honda vehicles and (generally speaking) the people who modify and purchase them. The compact size and light weight appealed to me, and I've always deeply preferred 2 seater coupes/roadsters as sports cars rather than 4 doors. S2000's have a fantastic community, a huge aftermarket, and decent documentation to get the work done that you need. Every Honda engine/platform I've ever worked on (D, B, K, and F series) has also been incredibly straightforward.

Why an S2000? Because even after 15 years you can't really beat the experience that they offer drivers, especially not in this price range.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:18 PM

I had a car that was faster than the s2000. But I think the s2000 is a more enjoyable car to drive, due to it's size and simplicity, and the quality of the car seems superior to modern day tuners. I don't think there are many cars in the same level as the s2000 that has been made. For the price of the car, you just can't beat it.

The s2000 community is one of its strongest perks as well. I wave to other s2000 owners and many wave back. My s2000 once had mechanical problems and another member on s2ki lend me a helping hand. It is just a good community.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Because I have had my eye on it since it was first introduced, but my family situation was not compatible with the car at the time.

My first child was born in 1998. 'Nuff said.

Now that my kids are in high school, I do have some freedom to own a second "inconvenient" 2-seater car...

Every vehicle I have owned has been a Honda (including my 1996 Honda CBR F3)... With the S2000 being one of only two rear-wheel sports cars that Honda has ever made, I decided that I should own it...

I am comfortable purchasing a 10-year old car in 2014... I am not so sure I will have the same confidence buying it as a 20-year old car in 2024... So now was the time...
Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have always love the looks of an s and have always been a Honda fan. they are a very reliable brand. now what sold me on the s, lol grand turismo 2! I thought to myself if the real car is this much fun to drive, then I want one. bought my 01 ten years ago and haven't look back. plan to keep this car till I croak. excuse me keep both my S's till I croak. I have the best of both sides. a complete unmolested 02 ap1 as a dd, and a 01 ap1 completely tricked out-amuse gt1 & SCED. LIFE IS GOOD!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had an interest in a two-seat convertible that predates my reading of The Red Car when I was 12. However, it was not a viable option for me to purchase such a car in my first few decades of driving. When the Mazda Miata first came out, I got excited about a roadster again, and followed various makes and models of small sports cars without buying something until after I was divorced and the kids were grown and out of the house.
The day was going we'll for me that one April 1st. I was on my way home from a job interview, and not only one, but two S2000 cars driven by very attractive ladies, sparked me into stopping by my local Honda dealer.

They had one example on the lot and when it got back from a test drive, I got to take it out and felt how good the handling was. After chatting it over for a while, I took it out a second time and the serious negation began. Hours later it was sitting in my driveway.

I didn't know how great of a sports car this unit was. I've learned a lot in the past four years. I've never been happier with any car I've owned, nor I doubt that I'll be able to afford a better performing convertible sports car.

I love this car!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:08 PM

My family has owned numerous Acuras over the years. One of the older ones became my first car so I found an internet forum to fix some of the anomalous problems. Before I knew it I was going to meets and writing my own DIYs. Out of no where I had become a car enthusiast. I quickly learned however that modifying an old luxury barge, as was quite popular, would never make it a sports car. So I became a keep-it-stock guy and spent my money cleaning the car up. A hand full of years and a couple automobiles passed and I got my first permanent job. Like many lower level Acura enthusiasts I aspired to own an NSX. But I'd missed the bargain basement recession prices and I knew too well how expensive an old Acura could be. So I looked into the S2000 and test drove an AP1. I was gutted. You have to beat the snot out of it to get moving. I ended up in an NA miata because of its low end grunt. Trouble was the miata is a Ford in Japanese trousers. Materials and quality were a long way off the Honda-Acura standard. So I went on more test drives. An AP2 this time. The F22 made for a totally different car. I knew right away. It took some time to find the right car but it's been two years since then.

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
I've almost never seen anyone (seriously) bash on an S2000.
The great thing about owning an S2000 is winning arguments on the internet by default. I defy anyone to find a car video on Youtube which lacks an S2000 comment. We are the benchmark. Where ever there is an old 90s Nissan doing 0-60 pulls, we'll be there. /Drive comments, we'll be there. Turbo Scion FRS video, we'll be there, naturally. Mustang wreck compilation, we'll be there, too.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I wanted a road course toy that I could take to the track every 6-8 weeks and also needed to replace my dying DD. Besides that, I moved to Florida from Pittsburgh so a roadster was that much more appealing. 4.5 years later I still DD and I still track day every other month and my S2 still runs/drives like a clock. The S2000 was made for me. I didn't "settle with the S" I aspired to own a car equal parts long term reliable, track competent, and stylish called the S2000.
Drive the S2000 with pride.....then S2000 will shine forever.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
Originally Posted by importcraver2000' timestamp='1415835871' post='23403111
Ive seen many people bash on our S2000s saying they suck
I've almost never seen anyone (seriously) bash on an S2000. That is unless you count random 14 year olds in YouTube comments. Every car has a purpose or something it was ultimately designed to do, and as far as the S2000's goal of providing a raw, driver-centered experience, it does it very well. Most people (even while admitting it's not the fastest or most powerful) don't deny this.

Personally, I bought my S because I've always had an admiration for Honda vehicles and (generally speaking) the people who modify and purchase them. The compact size and light weight appealed to me, and I've always deeply preferred 2 seater coupes/roadsters as sports cars rather than 4 doors. S2000's have a fantastic community, a huge aftermarket, and decent documentation to get the work done that you need. Every Honda engine/platform I've ever worked on (D, B, K, and F series) has also been incredibly straightforward.

Why an S2000? Because even after 15 years you can't really beat the experience that they offer drivers, especially not in this price range.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 PM

Id have to agree on the honda community being awesome. Now all I need is the Acura(Honda) NSX and My dreams of owning two powerful legendary icons will have come true......wait a minute did I just quote the motto? "Honda The power of dreams"

Quick Reply: Why did you buy an S2000?