S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

why do some have problems with the soft top tearing and some don't?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the top: regular cleaning and use of a protectant.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Well my S is almost 12, has 75K miles, and I have never done any maintenance to the top, other than wash it, and I have no tears at all. I think the reason is that the vehicle is always parked in the garage at night, and even during the day when it isn't being driven somewhere. I can count on two hands the number of nights it has been outside overnight. I think the sun and the elements are the biggest cause of tears, (except sharp things) making the top brittle and less pliable. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should 303 aerospace protectant be applied to the inside as well as the outside?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Poe408
should 303 aerospace protectant be applied to the inside as well as the outside?
outside. can apply inside to visible part when top is down (to protect that from UV rays as well).
Old 07-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Morris
Well my S is almost 12, has 75K miles, and I have never done any maintenance to the top, other than wash it, and I have no tears at all. I think the reason is that the vehicle is always parked in the garage at night, and even during the day when it isn't being driven somewhere. I can count on two hands the number of nights it has been outside overnight. I think the sun and the elements are the biggest cause of tears, (except sharp things) making the top brittle and less pliable. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I disagree. My car has been garaged as well since new(original owner). Have taken car of my top by washing it every 2 weeks and using 303 protectant every 2-3 months. Started showing wear marks on the passenger side(behind the pass.) and started ripping on the drivers side(started off as a pin hole and is now bout 1/2 long). BTW, car has 58k mile, Got it when it had about 450 miles.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
When you do get that top changed, shave down EVERY sharp edge you find on your top, then protect it with some coating (touch up paint?). I did this to mine when I switched my top and so far *knocks on wood* its been ok. 3 years

^^ Definitely this, even if you dont get a new top. There is a Honda TSB with instruction clearly pointing out the problematic areas (PM me if you need a copy). It is easy! I had mine patched from the inside when it started to form a small tear. I filed these sharp edges down and smoothed them out very well. No problems for more than 2 years now. As well, use 303 every 3-4 months.
Attached Thumbnails why do some have problems with the soft top tearing and some don't?-img3636sxl1.jpeg   why do some have problems with the soft top tearing and some don't?-slide1.jpeg  
Old 07-21-2011, 03:31 AM

Convertible top TSB
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...age&img=629290
Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
Originally Posted by ikeyballz' timestamp='1311154135' post='20796253
When you do get that top changed, shave down EVERY sharp edge you find on your top, then protect it with some coating (touch up paint?). I did this to mine when I switched my top and so far *knocks on wood* its been ok. 3 years

^^ Definitely this, even if you dont get a new top. There is a Honda TSB with instruction clearly pointing out the problematic areas (PM me if you need a copy). It is easy!. I had mine patched from the inside when it started to form a small tear. I filed these sharp edges down and smoothed them out very well. No problems for more than 2 years now. As well, use the 303.
I get paranoid about this and every once in a while and run my fingers over those areas that are pointed out in those pictures. IMO, those areas on my frame aren't especially rough or sharp and I don't seem to have any tearing or excessive wearing as of now. I wish I knew how rough it would have to feel to cause a problem, although I can always just sand it down either way.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:03 AM

i got my soft top got ripped 3 years ago and they replaced the top. but they didnt replace the bars. so the rips came back again :-\ gonna have to take it back to see if they can replace it under the TSB even tho is at 79k miles.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by EP Heart
Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik' timestamp='1311221111' post='20799769
[quote name='ikeyballz' timestamp='1311154135' post='20796253']

^^ Definitely this, even if you dont get a new top. There is a Honda TSB with instruction clearly pointing out the problematic areas (PM me if you need a copy). It is easy!. I had mine patched from the inside when it started to form a small tear. I filed these sharp edges down and smoothed them out very well. No problems for more than 2 years now. As well, use the 303.
I get paranoid about this and every once in a while and run my fingers over those areas that are pointed out in those pictures. IMO, those areas on my frame aren't especially rough or sharp and I don't seem to have any tearing or excessive wearing as of now. I wish I knew how rough it would have to feel to cause a problem, although I can always just sand it down either way.
[/quote]

Mine were very sharp on the edges, and there were some sharp burrs too. It was quite obvious. Maybe yours have already been smoothed over?

Quick Reply: why do some have problems with the soft top tearing and some don't?