S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Why so many totaled S's (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/why-so-many-totaled-ss-1047587/)

s2kyay 09-16-2013 05:55 PM

Why so many totaled S's

It makes me so sad to see all these S2000's on here that have been in an accident be deemed as totaled. I was hit twice in a 3 month period and the second time when I thought it was going to be totaled, it wasnt. They replaced my rear quarter panel, bumper, tail light, had to weld together my trunk floor, replaced my TE37, and new tire. I believe the grand total to fix it was around 7k-8k. It seems like they are just wanting to "total out" the Ap1's than fix them. I guess I got lucky with my '02 :scratch:

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...e/photo2-1.jpg

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...ome/photo4.jpg

03 9g 09-17-2013 05:55 AM

Looks good , your is worth more than 7-8k ...ins co.don't make mistakes with money .

cosmomiller 09-17-2013 06:32 AM

So why were you hit?

s2kyay 09-17-2013 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller (Post 22782628)
So why were you hit?

The first one, some guy sideswiped me. Then the second one, I literally just got my car back and maybe had it for 5 days when my co-worker crashed into it while it was parked. I don't wish it on any s2000 owner to be out of their car for months at a time. :crycry:

takeshi 09-17-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by s2kyay (Post 22781726)
It seems like they are just wanting to "total out" the Ap1's than fix them.

Decision is made based on estimated repair costs versus value of the vehicle regardless of the make/model. AP1's are getting old and tend to have lower value so, yes, they're more likely to be totaled in accidents with more damage. The insurance companies aren't out to total the AP1's by intent.

Bloody Hatch 09-18-2013 08:39 AM

The more that get totaled, the more mine will be worth. :rolleyes:

datbino 09-19-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bloody Hatch (Post 22784794)
The more that get totaled, the more mine will be worth. :rolleyes:

i like how cheap they are getting. once all the kids have crashed them, theyll be as rare as srt-4's

thenoxus1 09-19-2013 12:13 PM

Your bumper looks off from the rest of the car...

Mine is the same way, but I'm about to get it resprayed

RMurphy 09-19-2013 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Unho1yghost (Post 22787159)
i like how cheap they are getting. once all the kids have crashed them, theyll be as rare as srt-4's

My PO (personal opinion):
I'm reasonably certain that "kids" do not have the market cornered on getting into car crashes. Sometimes, you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time and it has nothing to do with age. Vintage crew will vouch for that.

vasquezgno 09-19-2013 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by thenoxus1 (Post 22787171)

Isn't it going to look a bit off because the bumper and the car itself are different pieces ?

thenoxus1 09-19-2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by vasquezgno (Post 22787183)

Originally Posted by thenoxus1' timestamp='1379621617' post='22787171

Isn't it going to look a bit off because the bumper and the car itself are different pieces ?

I was referring to the paint shade. Looks like it was resprayed standard NFR..however a car will have a level of fade to it after a couple years so it needs to be matched.

The bumper looks darker than the rest of the car.

s2kyay 09-19-2013 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by thenoxus1 (Post 22787226)

Originally Posted by vasquezgno' timestamp='1379622019' post='22787183
[quote name='thenoxus1' timestamp='1379621617' post='22787171']

I was referring to the paint shade. Looks like it was resprayed standard NFR..however a car will have a level of fade to it after a couple years so it needs to be matched.

The bumper looks darker than the rest of the car.
[/quote]

They painted the trunk, panel, and bumper. The paint actually is a custom brighter red, not NFR. They did a pretty good job matching and blending for it being a custom color. Pictures don't ever do justice.

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...ome/dfhgbd.jpg

cosmomiller 09-19-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy (Post 22787176)

Originally Posted by Unho1yghost' timestamp='1379621216' post='22787159

I'm reasonably certain that "kids" do not have the market cornered on getting into car crashes. Sometimes, you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time and it has nothing to do with age. Vintage crew will vouch for that.

It appears you don't work for an insurance company.

///Mizzou3 09-19-2013 06:59 PM

You are pretty "lucky" the insurance company didn't total it out. With the high book values of old S2000s, they have a better chance of not being totaled with moderate damage versus your typical 10-13 year old car. Unfortunately, proper collision repair is very pricey and it doesn't take much to write off just about any old car that isn't quite a classic yet.

RMurphy 09-19-2013 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller (Post 22787627)

Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1379621722' post='22787176
[quote name='Unho1yghost' timestamp='1379621216' post='22787159']

[/quote]

My profession really has nothing to do with the fact I stated. Not all car crashes involve only "kids." If they did, then insurance for non-"kids" would be free or not even required. Not all S2000s get crashed by "kids."

rob-2 09-20-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by RMurphy (Post 22787766)

Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1379644979' post='22787627
[quote name='RMurphy' timestamp='1379621722' post='22787176']

[/quote]

My profession really has nothing to do with the fact I stated. Not all car crashes involve only "kids." If they did, then insurance for non-"kids" would be free or not even required. Not all S2000s get crashed by "kids."
[/quote]
Accident rates for teens is by far more expensive then adults. Furthermore married men get even cheaper. And you must not be married. Wives basically get on your policy for free.

For example, on my two sedans $137/month. Add a wife as primary driver on one of them. Still $137/month.

RMurphy 09-20-2013 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 22788125)

Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1379658477' post='22787766
[quote name='cosmomiller' timestamp='1379644979' post='22787627']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Accident rates for teens is by far more expensive then adults. Furthermore married men get even cheaper. And you must not be married. Wives basically get on your policy for free.

For example, on my two sedans $137/month. Add a wife as primary driver on one of them. Still $137/month.
[/quote]

Then I suggest you add as many wives to your policy as can stand the process. LOL!

I stand by my statement which is accurate: Not all car crashes involve only "kids." Not all S2000s get crashed by "kids."

Rates for under 25 year old drivers are higher, but that does not mean they are the *only* people involved in car crashes and that the *only* people who have crashes in S2000s are "kids." It's simply impossible.

Argue it if you want for whatever your reasons might be for doing so, but it's impossible to honestly and accurately say that people over a certain age never crash cars.

Edit:
To make it even clearer: "kids" don't have a monopoly on car crashes. Crashes can and do happen to drivers of all ages. It is not a requirement that you be under a certain age to be involved in a car crash.

rob-2 09-21-2013 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy (Post 22788305)

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1379684106' post='22788125
[quote name='RMurphy' timestamp='1379658477' post='22787766']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then I suggest you add as many wives to your policy as can stand the process. LOL!

I stand by my statement which is accurate: Not all car crashes involve only "kids." Not all S2000s get crashed by "kids."

Rates for under 25 year old drivers are higher, but that does not mean they are the *only* people involved in car crashes and that the *only* people who have crashes in S2000s are "kids." It's simply impossible.

Argue it if you want for whatever your reasons might be for doing so, but it's impossible to honestly and accurately say that people over a certain age never crash cars.

Edit:
To make it even clearer: "kids" don't have a monopoly on car crashes. Crashes can and do happen to drivers of all ages. It is not a requirement that you be under a certain age to be involved in a car crash.
[/quote]
The average teenager is 4 times more likely to crash then someone who's 20.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

State of California results
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/imageserver/dm...crash_1000.jpg

It's illegal to have more then one wife... oh darn.

AZS2KDancer 09-22-2013 09:01 PM

This is an INTERNATIONAL forum. In some countries in this world, it is not illegal to have more than one wife.

cosmomiller 09-22-2013 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer (Post 22791353)

This is an INTERNATIONAL forum. In some countries in this world, it is not illegal to have more than one wife.

No man can serve two masters.

dwight 09-23-2013 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 22790028)

Way to take a number out of context to try to incorrectly* prove your point, which happens to be irrelevant to the original claim, to counter the original claim (which had nothing to do with your point).

Original Claim:
"I'm reasonably certain that "kids" do not have the market cornered on getting into car crashes."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornering_the_market
In finance, to corner the market is to get sufficient control of a particular stock, commodity, or other asset to allow the price to be manipulated. Another definition: "To have the greatest market share in a particular industry without having a monopoly.

Even if teenagers have accidents at 4x the rate of non-teenagers, in Los Angles (since you're talking about California) they (including 15 year olds) only make up about 7.2% of the population. In addition in this subset of the population, the many of them do not have licenses.

According to this 2010 data, for 16, 17, 18, 19 year olds, only 28%, 45%, 61%, and 70% have licenses. For the overall population of CA it's 77.4%.

If we multiply the accident rate per 1000 drivers by the percentage of the population with licenses, we can get accidents per 1000 people.

If we multiply the percentage of the population in the age group with the population of Los Angeles (unnecessary if you're willing to work in percentages, but it makes the data more readable), we get number of people in that age group.

If we multiply those two numbers together we get number of accidents in that age group.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/...51f9f291_o.png

From there we can see that teenagers only make up 13% of the accidents. Sure, they are over represented, almost by a factor of two. However, they are far from having a huge controlling portion in the number of car accidents.

Sure, the numbers will be different if we applied this to only S2000s. Maybe their rate would be twice as high as before and for the rest of the population it will be half as much. Even if that was the case, they'd still be in the minority.

*Your statement is grossly incorrect context because first it fails to factor in the fact that the data is per 1000 drivers. If you look at the fourth column in my data it shows that 16s are less likely to cause accidents than 17-19 year olds. This is solely because of their low license rate. Your blanket statement of teenagers also includes 13-15 year old which cause very few accidents. Finally and most importantly, your claim that the averaged data for >19 years old applies to 20 year olds is absolutely absurd.

rob-2 09-23-2013 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by dwight (Post 22791953)

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1379808862' post='22790028

Way to take a number out of context to try to incorrectly* prove your point, which happens to be irrelevant to the original claim, to counter the original claim (which had nothing to do with your point).

Original Claim:
"I'm reasonably certain that "kids" do not have the market cornered on getting into car crashes."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornering_the_market
In finance, to corner the market is to get sufficient control of a particular stock, commodity, or other asset to allow the price to be manipulated. Another definition: "To have the greatest market share in a particular industry without having a monopoly.

Even if teenagers have accidents at 4x the rate of non-teenagers, in Los Angles (since you're talking about California) they (including 15 year olds) only make up about 7.2% of the population. In addition in this subset of the population, the many of them do not have licenses.

According to this 2010 data, for 16, 17, 18, 19 year olds, only 28%, 45%, 61%, and 70% have licenses. For the overall population of CA it's 77.4%.

If we multiply the accident rate per 1000 drivers by the percentage of the population with licenses, we can get accidents per 1000 people.

If we multiply the percentage of the population in the age group with the population of Los Angeles (unnecessary if you're willing to work in percentages, but it makes the data more readable), we get number of people in that age group.

If we multiply those two numbers together we get number of accidents in that age group.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/...51f9f291_o.png

From there we can see that teenagers only make up 13% of the accidents. Sure, they are over represented, almost by a factor of two. However, they are far from having a huge controlling portion in the number of car accidents.

Sure, the numbers will be different if we applied this to only S2000s. Maybe their rate would be twice as high as before and for the rest of the population it will be half as much. Even if that was the case, they'd still be in the minority.

*Your statement is grossly incorrect context because first it fails to factor in the fact that the data is per 1000 drivers. If you look at the fourth column in my data it shows that 16s are less likely to cause accidents than 17-19 year olds. This is solely because of their low license rate. Your blanket statement of teenagers also includes 13-15 year old which cause very few accidents. Finally and most importantly, your claim that the averaged data for >19 years old applies to 20 year olds is absolutely absurd.

Pretty sure you've read the info wrong. It's a break down by age group. Those 16 years old by 1000 16 year old drivers will see 61.4 in accidents. Not 16 year olds in a 1000 drivers of any age.

Accident rates are higher in teens it's pretty stupid to debate this and I won't. We see higher accident rates in teens and then again in the elderly. Those are facts. Move along now...

rrounds 09-23-2013 09:50 AM

The elderly, now why did you have to bring me into this. :LOL:

ROD

dwight 09-23-2013 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 22792121)
Pretty sure you've read the info wrong. It's a break down by age group. Those 16 years old by 1000 16 year old drivers will see 61.4 in accidents. Not 16 year olds in a 1000 drivers of any age.

Accident rates are higher in teens it's pretty stupid to debate this and I won't. We see higher accident rates in teens and then again in the elderly. Those are facts. Move along now...

You're the one who wanted to bring numbers into this but I'm not surprised that you still don't understand what you said was factually incorrect, and as I've said before, no one is arguing that teenage drivers are more likely to cause accidents. The point is that a higher rate in a small population can cause fewer accidents than a lower rate in a larger population because the total is a product of the two.

Mack21 09-23-2013 10:22 AM

To the OP:

Your repair looks impeccable. I have a certain fondness for the NFR and I'm glad they were able to bring yours back from the brink of death.

:rev:

rob-2 09-23-2013 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by rrounds (Post 22792282)
The elderly, now why did you have to bring me into this. :LOL:

ROD

LOL Rod you aren't elderly just yet!

rob-2 09-23-2013 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by dwight (Post 22792293)

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1379954701' post='22792121

You're the one who wanted to bring numbers into this but I'm not surprised that you still don't understand what you said was factually incorrect, and as I've said before, no one is arguing that teenage drivers are more likely to cause accidents. The point is that a higher rate in a small population can cause fewer accidents than a lower rate in a larger population because the total is a product of the two.

The point of a 1,000 sample size is to standardize :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

s2kyay 09-23-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mack21 (Post 22792346)
To the OP:

Your repair looks impeccable. I have a certain fondness for the NFR and I'm glad they were able to bring yours back from the brink of death.

:rev:

Thank you kindly :) I was just thankful it wasn't totaled out.

RMurphy 09-23-2013 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 22790028)

Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1379691303' post='22788305
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1379684106' post='22788125']
[quote name='RMurphy' timestamp='1379658477' post='22787766']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Edit:
[/quote]

[/quote]

1. The stats are all well and good but they don't disprove my statement that it isn't only "kids" who crash cars. But the pretty colors in the graph certainly brighten the place up.

2. It isn't illegal to have more than one wife. Larry King has had at least 8. It's only illegal if you have multiples simultaneously. So there is hope for you yet.

dwight 09-24-2013 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 22792510)
The point of a 1,000 sample size is to standardize :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You're the only one talking rates. We're talking count. "Why so many totaled S's", not "Who's most likely to total an S." It's a shame you don't understand the difference. You should look into taking a stats class at your local community college.

By the way, didn't you say you weren't going to continue?