S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Will Resell Value of my S Drop? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/will-resell-value-my-s-drop-1192541/)

landapanda 03-15-2019 09:09 AM

Will Resell Value of my S Drop?

The S is currently getting a full respray. I was set on OEM Suzuka Blue with LARGE and course metallic flakes to make the color pop. But the longer it sits at the shop the more I've debated on changing the color to something unique. Like a midnight purple type of color. But I wouldn't be able to afford door jams, trunk and engine bay.

With that said, my original plan was to go OEM Suzuka and when I want to start tracking the car again I would wrap the whole car to protect the paint. Thoughts?

Has anyone ever repainted their S a different color and gotten "de-valued" when for resell? I'm not thinking about selling soon obviously but in case I ever do I didn't want to chance it.

MrFunk 03-15-2019 09:48 AM

A full re-spray will typically lower the value of a classic/vehicle unless it's a high $ custom build and the paint job is from a custom shop that is known and commended for outstanding work...
If your goal is to maintain value then I wouldn't. If you're looking to just enjoy your car then go for it! Most vehicles do not increase in value anyways...

JackTs2K 03-15-2019 09:48 AM

I've owned two so far, and will probably buy another at the end of the year. Personally, I'd look for an OEM paint job. And I would question why the car was resprayed, no matter what the color. And if I were buying, I'd lower my offer based on the respray, OEM color or not. That aside, I once saw a picture of a dark purple Japanese S2000. That thing was beautiful.

IA-SteveB 03-15-2019 09:52 AM

There is always someone out there who will buy a car regardless of a respray/full color change. You just have to accept that it may take longer to sell if you ever want to. I would really advise not doing a color change if you don't get it done right by spraying everything.

Chuck S 03-15-2019 11:01 AM

Why do a full respray, even of the OEM color, on a race car? First missed corner will bugger the paint job. And if you don't miss a corner occasionally you're not pushing hard enough. ;)

-- Chuck

Manga_Spawn 03-15-2019 01:19 PM

A bad or half assed paint job will hurt the resale value so regardless of color don't change the color unless you can at least do spots like the door jams inner trunk etc. Suzuka blue is a common enough color I would have just sold the current car and found one in that color but it is already being worked on so probably not really a choice. I would maybe do whatever the OEM color is and the wrap it to whatever color you want. That way you can take the wrap off when it is time to sell it and it won't have mis matched areas that buyers won't like.

ragtophardtop 03-15-2019 03:22 PM

Custom colors essentially reduce your buyer pool and extend your sale time, as you can see. Even a resprayed panel will do that for some people. You might be able to get your money back for the respray, but you're going to be waiting for another individual that wants an S2k in the same year, condition, mods, etc. I'd count on an otherwise hot car in custom color, if you need to sell within a month, selling for 25% under market if it's a $25k value, if it's value is $15k maybe 15% under, and if it was $10k or less you won't notice much but you're not getting your money back from a respray.

Manga_Spawn is right, get a wrap if you're going to sell the car. You can do the touch up yourself with Dr. Colorchip for an even paint surface before the wrap is applied.

NNY S2k 03-15-2019 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 24578100)
Why do a full respray, even of the OEM color, on a race car? First missed corner will bugger the paint job. And if you don't miss a corner occasionally you're not pushing hard enough. ;)

-- Chuck

:iagree:
Levi

landapanda 03-18-2019 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 24578100)

-- Chuck

You have a point :mellow: I've missed a corner before into a dirt hill before. Not my proudest moment but it was at full send. Regardless, I'm keeping my OEM front end (fenders and bumper) for the track days so I don't crack or chip my new front end. Might be some work to swap it but at this point I've done it enough to do it within 15 minutes.

landapanda 03-18-2019 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by JackTs2K (Post 24578068)
I've owned two so far, and will probably buy another at the end of the year. Personally, I'd look for an OEM paint job. And I would question why the car was resprayed, no matter what the color. And if I were buying, I'd lower my offer based on the respray, OEM color or not. That aside, I once saw a picture of a dark purple Japanese S2000. That thing was beautiful.

Please post pictures of the dark purple s2000 :D