S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Which would you rather when buying an S2000 now?

Old 04-03-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Which would you rather when buying an S2000 now?

Originally Posted by Lazyrider69
But let me ask you guys this question...... Would you rather have a ONE previous adult owned S2000 with some bumps and bruises or one with 4+ previous owners that may have been younger people racing and drifting it?
Excellent topic. Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by Lazyrider69' timestamp='1396562880' post='23096119
But let me ask you guys this question...... Would you rather have a ONE previous adult owned S2000 with some bumps and bruises or one with 4+ previous owners that may have been younger people racing and drifting it?
Excellent topic. Any thoughts?
Assuming the one with 4+ owners is in perfect condition? It seems obvious that the one with an adult owner is the best choice.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Just to toss in some additional stuff to mix it up...

What if the one adult owner was kind of a clueless person and when you pull the dipstick it looks kinda scary? Or maybe the oil is fine but when you ask about other fluids, the owner says, "I don't know. The dealer did some things, but I would have to look for receipts. I doubt I have them."

And maybe the tires are mismatched which he says he can't remember if he got them at Discount Tire or the dealership.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Or what if you have a really nice looking two-owner car which has definitely been driven, no history from the first owner, but the current owner has receipts for everything from a reputable local shop and what he or she did himself.

VS

The single owner clueless person car with the same aforementioned bumps and bruises with mismatched tires and no maintenance records and maybe one completely mysterious unexplained chewed up right front bumper and missing fender liner and a bunch of paint and plastic missing where there must have been an impact with something but he doesn't know anything about it.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

too many variables

mods

price

intended purpose of purchase (race car, museum piece, daily drive)
Old 04-03-2014, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by freq
too many variables

mods

price

intended purpose of purchase (race car, museum piece, daily drive)
Make it up. This is purely for discussion. It's an opportunity for people to post their opinions or preferences on a purely hypothetical situation about the purchasing of an S2000.

There is no right or wrong. Merely discussion.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big determinant is the age and miles if lower miles the 4 people (I am assuming they change fluids like I do) would likely have had a clue and kept it in better shape.
A clueless owner will likely be more detrimental than well kept but run hard.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Definitely the clueless owner. At least you know what to expect.

The more owners a car has, the more likely someone got into the seat who didn't care and dogged the car.

I saw one the other day claiming to be a 2 owner car, but the carfax revealed 4 owners... what's more, I see it switched dealerships several times even between owners.

How many people drove a car that's been on a different dealership floor 7 times in the last 9 years? That car was very loose.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:09 PM

The great thing with these japanese cars is a clueless owner isn't likely to kill them. Obviously, the one adult owner car is the preferred choice..
Old 04-03-2014, 03:10 PM

I'm making waves already.

As far as the S2000 goes, I'd rather have a car that had 4 owners who were enthusiasts, than 1 owner who was completely clueless.

Now if I was shopping for a DD it might be the other way around. It's not such a big deal if someone is clueless about their Accord and just takes it to the dealer whenever the indicator comes on. I think THAT would be preferable to an Accord that had been beat on by 4 ricers.

This is of course if we're making up the 4 owners being enthusiasts like us, and not stupid kids beating on the car.

Quick Reply: Which would you rather when buying an S2000 now?