S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Year 2000 s2k just as good as others?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I have broken the back end loose on my 2003 but was going too fast into a corner and had new tires, the car recovered nicely. You would really need to drive different vintages of the S to see what works best for you. I have my opinions but will let you decide what is best for you. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for the feed back guys!!!

Wow guys thank you so much for the replys! I would plan on having this as my daily driver so I'm looking for something in decent conditions would garage in the winter, do not plan on really upgrading anything really I like the original stock version best, would it be an insult to get a nice s2000 as a daily? Keep in mind it's a tuff choice for me with newer cars in this price range
Old 07-18-2017, 03:32 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kalldayy
...do not plan on really upgrading anything really I like the original stock version best, would it be an insult to get a nice s2000 as a daily?
No, its not an insult. In fact, it is a great complement to the car to drive it daily. I drive semi daily in the non-snow months. Like you, my feeling is this - I can buy a new civic or something for a lot of dough, or I can buy a low mileage s2k for lower dough and waaaay more fun. I do have another vehicle though and for me that is essential (pick up truck). Also, the s2k will hold value very well if well cared for and unmolested. I agree with you on staying stock. Its a great great car stock and I bet if you looked at stats you would find fewer problems with cars that remain stock. Certainly better resale value should that day ever come for you. Do it. You will not regret it. If you have any doubts about the mechanical condition of the engine consider a quick compression test to set your mind at ease.

Also, the car is a bit of a handful so ease into it and get to know it. Also, if you live in snow belt like I do - personally I would not even consider driving this car in ice and snow. This car is not meant for that in my opinion. Its too low. Its rear wheel drive, etc. etc. Finally, if the roads are wet, take it easy. Use your head, slow down. Don't use cruise control if its wet. Don't push it on wet public roads.

Last edited by rpg51; 07-18-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RussianHammer
The snap oversteer claim is very much true. This can be fixed easily though by not lifting mid-corner.
FTFY
Old 07-18-2017, 06:25 AM

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

this ^
Old 07-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a 2000 s2k. Got it for a great deal with oem hardtop. The things that ppl complain about can easily be upgraded to handle like a stock ap2, if not better. If you want to keep it as oem as possible, upgrade the suspension and rear sway bar to CR. Lastly, get wider rims/tires. Ppl like to look down on Ap1s for the dumbest reasons, when it all can be easily upgraded. Personally I'm running Ohlins suspension , CR rear sway bar, and 255 square tire setup. My ap1 handles miles ahead of my previous stock 05 ap2.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I was asking myself many of the same questions not that long ago. After reading what seemed like an endless amount of information about the car, I ended up targeting S2000s from 2004 & 2005 as my top choice based on my own personal preferences. That's not meant as a knock on the other year models and I certainly don't have any negative feelings towards AP1 cars. We each like what we like. Honestly, I'd probably be happy with any S2000 that was in really nice condition (especially when compared to simply not having a S2000). While I waited for the right example to come along, if for some reason I had been in an extreme hurry to buy, then I'd probably have chosen the cleanest example that I could have afforded in a color combo that I liked regardless of the year model. I tend to leave my vehicles pretty much stock so overall condition becomes a bit more important to me since I'm not planning on replacing a bunch of stuff.

If you're still trying to figure out AP1 or AP2 when it comes to you, there is a lot of information to sift through. This site alone contains an unbelievable amount of info. For a convenient source, I'd point you to this article as it was one of the most comprehensive that I was able to find. It does a pretty good job of thoroughly detailing the differences between the two back when the AP2 was first released.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

When I was shopping for my S2k nine years ago, I had this same question. After having driven both, I wanted the more raw, connected feeling of the AP1. I also wanted the 9K redline. I settled for an 02.

IMO, the 02-03 were the best AP1s, as they had small transmission upgrades, banjo bolts, and rear glass tops.

AP2, although great cars, are way too civilized feeling for me.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kalldayy
Wow guys thank you so much for the replys! I would plan on having this as my daily driver so I'm looking for something in decent conditions would garage in the winter, do not plan on really upgrading anything really I like the original stock version best, would it be an insult to get a nice s2000 as a daily? Keep in mind it's a tuff choice for me with newer cars in this price range
Nope, but I would also get a higher mileage car to save some money, in that case.
I DD mine, it's got 163k now, I bought it with 154k earlier this year. Very few issues.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Saki GT
In general the car got incrementally better every two years, but there is nothing like an S2000 and any year is great.

There are no bad S2000s.

If you look at the different years, what you will see are early years had some "quality" improvements with things like banjo bolts, glass backlight, floormats, and the like, and every two years, ECU updates tended to bump hp as evidenced by dynos, but the car is basically the same, with the biggest breaks between 03-04 and 05-06, when the engine and transmission changed and dbw was added.
That sums it up well.

I've owned a my2000 for a decade now (wow) and have had zero major issues. I did upgrade the top to glass, the suspension to Ohlins and the wheels to Volks (standard 17x9 and 17x7.5 fitment). Even in stock form, I never "snap" oversteered... probably because I'm a windy road driver/canyon carver where I'm not pushing it to the full limits. I also haven't upgraded my oil banjo bolts since I don't track or run a supercharger.

I prefer the slightly more raw AP1s (yes, I've driven AP2s), but if I were buying another one, I'd consider condition and price well before model year. They're all awesome!

Quick Reply: Year 2000 s2k just as good as others?