S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   as the years roll by, acceleration stays the same (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/years-roll-acceleration-stays-same-522484/)

mikegarrison 09-07-2007 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Sep 7 2007, 01:20 PM
but the difference between you and I, and Honda, is that we are improving with tightly focused goals, while car companies improvements are aimed at gaining market share.

Exactly. I've modified my car substantially, but all of these are in a direction that nastinupe would find unpalatable.

badbear 09-07-2007 01:52 PM

I agree with ChOpper... the s2k is a great car right out of the box. It has a good balance of handling, power, looks, comfort, and reliability... that's a good thing... especially that last item (I also have a VW =P). There has been a total hp war going on over the last 6 years.... heck, even look at the Accord versus the accord back then. Sure it's nice, but it changing peoples expectations for what a car should be. In my... and only my opinion... I think the s2k is a really fun car to drive... period. There's faster cars, sure. There's cars that can circle a track faster, sure. But, there aren't that many cars in this price range that are more fun to drive on a day to day basis. I can jump in my car after the crappiest day to work... drop the top... drive home... and life is good again with and I have a big a$$ grin on my face. If people you are really that discontent with your s2k... there are other options that may fit your needs better. And, maybe it's time to move on. :tipwink:

PJCC 09-07-2007 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by badbear,Sep 7 2007, 05:52 PM
I agree with ChOpper... the s2k is a great car right out of the box. It has a good balance of handling, power, looks, comfort, and reliability... that's a good thing... especially that last item (I also have a VW =P). There has been a total hp war going on over the last 6 years.... heck, even look at the Accord versus the accord back then. Sure it's nice, but it changing peoples expectations for what a car should be. In my... and only my opinion... I think the s2k is a really fun car to drive... period. There's faster cars, sure. There's cars that can circle a track faster, sure. But, there aren't that many cars in this price range that are more fun to drive on a day to day basis. I can jump in my car after the crappiest day to work... drop the top... drive home... and life is good again with and I have a big a$$ grin on my face. If people you are really that discontent with your s2k... there are other options that may fit your needs better. And, maybe it's time to move on. :tipwink:

:iagree: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Best post ever!!!

RED MX5 09-07-2007 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 7 2007, 03:48 PM
I would love to drive one someday.

I also have a serious bug to try out a Morgan. Those just look like fun.

I've never driven a Morgan either, but they do look like fun cars. :thumbup:

Have you driven an Elise or an old Europa? IMO that's a good example of one of the cases where the newer car is actually more fun than the older car, but then the Elise is a little more than just an updateed Europa. LOL, or is it? ;)

Hey, I know what I'd like Honda to do to improve the S2000. Make it smaller, and cut both the weight and the displacement in half. Since the smaller I-4 would have a shorter stroke and lower masses, the redline could be raised above 10k, and the specific output could easily exceed what the old F20C accomplished. Every aspect of the performance could be greatly improved, and an all new, awsome driving experience would be there to enjoy. If they were to come out with an S1000, I'd be all over it. :hello:

mikegarrison 09-07-2007 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Sep 7 2007, 04:30 PM
Have you driven an Elise or an old Europa? IMO that's a good example of one of the cases where the newer car is actually more fun than the older car, but then the Elise is a little more than just an updateed Europa. LOL, or is it? ;)

I rented an Exige for a 30 minute track session. What a blast! The downforce was a revelation. Too bad I can't afford to track a $60K car.

mikegarrison 09-07-2007 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Sep 7 2007, 04:30 PM
Hey, I know what I'd like Honda to do to improve the S2000. Make it smaller, and cut both the weight and the displacement in half. Since the smaller I-4 would have a shorter stroke and lower masses, the redline could be raised above 10k, and the specific output could easily exceed what the old F20C accomplished. Every aspect of the performance could be greatly improved, and an all new, awsome driving experience would be there to enjoy. If they were to come out with an S1000, I'd be all over it. :hello:

From an engineering standpoint, this is almost impossible. It is very difficult to downsize a design. It is much easier to grow it.

To make that car you are talking about they would pretty much have to go back to a clean sheet of paper.

RED MX5 09-07-2007 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 7 2007, 03:53 PM
Exactly. I've modified my car substantially, but all of these are in a direction that nastinupe would find unpalatable.

Same here. He'd hate my car. He wants change, but doesn't like the CR, and would not like the changes either of us have made to our cars. Would he like the car better if it were "upgraded" with a V-6 that had a fat, flat, torque curve? If so, then he'd like the "upgraded" car more for the same reasons some of us would like it less.

Since I like different things in a car, I'd be much happier with an S1000. ;)
:hello:

RED MX5 09-07-2007 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 7 2007, 06:49 PM
From an engineering standpoint, this is almost impossible. It is very difficult to downsize a design. It is much easier to grow it.

To make that car you are talking about they would pretty much have to go back to a clean sheet of paper.

Agreed, but what's wrong with starting with a clean sheet of paper? :)
The best cars usually do come from starting with a clean sheet.

LOL, however, as much as I'd love a smaller Honda with similar or greater performance, I wouldn't want to go back to the old chain drive they used on the S800. ;)

mikegarrison 09-07-2007 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Sep 7 2007, 05:08 PM
LOL, however, as much as I'd love a smaller Honda with similar or greater performance, I wouldn't want to go back to the old chain drive they used on the S800. ;)

Kind of an elegant solution, in a way. Like two motorcycles sharing the same sidecar.

RED MX5 09-07-2007 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 7 2007, 06:42 PM
I rented an Exige for a 30 minute track session. What a blast! The downforce was a revelation. Too bad I can't afford to track a $60K car.

My buddy, Tripper Cook, is in the process of heavily modifying an Elise. I'd been eyeing Atom's for some time, but with the FI and other mods he's making to the car, I may just have to buy it from him when he gets bored with it (which will be shortly after he runs out of ways to get more speed, acceleration, or grip from the car).

I almost bought an Elise instead of the S2000, but at the time I really wanted a roadster. Now that I've got the roadster and have it modified to my liking, the Elise (and now the Atom) are starting to look more attractive. Anyway, if Tripper's car doesn't turn out to be as fragile as the Lotus cars of old, then I'll probably end up buying the thing when he loses interest. Normally I wouldn't buy a modified car (it's more fun to do it myself), but since all the work is being done in our shop, and since Tripper and I like the same things in a car, I may just have to make an exception.