S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   * Quick Fluid Reference Guide & Oil Journals * (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/%2A-quick-fluid-reference-guide-oil-journals-%2A-358505/)

Wisconsin S2k 02-06-2006 08:23 AM

* Quick Fluid Reference Guide & Oil Journals *

This post has been modified slightly to accommodate the recent increase of New Threads regarding Oils, Fluids, etc. Hopefully this can be read within 10mins (for most) to answer general questions quickly- and the "in depth" Oil Journals can be used for further research and comparisons.

NVMY4N
9-28-2007

---------------------------------------------------------

There have been a lot of threads lately asking what kind of fluids people should use for their cars. This thread is intended to be added to the oil journals, and help prevent repetitive threads.

First, if you have questions about fluids , and you have not read the oil journals, YOU MUST DO SO HERE!!!: <- The Oil Journals!

There is a WEALTH of information on diff, tranny, and engine oils, filters, comparisons, there - You just have to take the time to read it.

A quick synopsis of my take on oils from what I've read:

Engine Oil: 10w-30 - 5.75 quarts per Billman250

Originally Posted by RoadRage
5w40 is also a recommended weight for our cars, and in high heat what i plan to use - 10w40 is fine. But why not run Red Line 5w40 or Delvac1 5w40???

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...age&img=481371

I use havoline GF4, as recommended by road rage. So far I haven't had any problems with this oil, even in extreme cold weather. This is a conventional oil, and I change it about every 5000 miles.

The biggest advantage of using synthetics is extending your OCI (oil change interval). if you are using a synthetic, and changing your oil every 3000-5000 miles, that's a waste, and not necessary. I had a UOA done of valvoline synpower synthetic done at just short of 10,000 miles, and the report said I had oil life left and that it was properly protecting the car. So on synthetic I was changing the oil every 10,000 miles. I don't track my car often (i do run both 1/4 mile and actual road course occasionally), but I do drive my car fairly hard.

Oil Filter: OEM PCX-004

How to check engine oil:
"Oil checking questions...":
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...light=oil+level

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diff Oil: Straight SAE 90 Weight
I use Mobil 1 75w-90 personally. I know many like LE 607, but there are 2 key things to keep in mind. LE 607 does not have the "official" API GL5 certification, so if you use this, and you suffer a diff failure, don't let honda know you used this fluid as they can easily void your warranty.

Secondly, LE607 is NOT for use in cold weather. No straight 90w diff fluid really is, as they tend to have higher pour points than say a 75w90. NOTE: LE 607 is been replaced by LE1605

Originally Posted by Road Rage
1) LE-607 is GL-5 rated. Honda cannot refuse a warranty claim based on use of this lubricant.
2) LE-607 is not for arctic use, but it has a rated PP (pour point) of -11 degF. That is the lowest PP I have seen for a 90w gear oil.

[QUOTE="Glad to be Gone"]Differential Oil:
IMPORTANT WARNING ABOUT HONDA SUPPLIED DIFF FLUID!
Even after years of this info being out there, some folks are still getting gooned with regards to Honda supplying the WRONG DIFF FLUID!

WyattH 02-06-2006 08:31 AM

Should I close my other fluid thread? Sorry. Thanks for the info, though!

Wisconsin S2k 02-06-2006 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by WyattH,Feb 6 2006, 11:31 AM
Should I close my other fluid thread? Sorry. Thanks for the info, though!

i took care of it. and it wasn't your fault at all so don't sweat it. i just figured this gets talked about enough here that we could try and centralize it to provide more information for everyone. :)

jasonw 02-06-2006 09:42 AM

It would be kind of cool if we had a poll of what people are using for motor/tranny/diff... ...not that I'm swayed by polls... :hidebc:

S2kracka 02-06-2006 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Feb 6 2006, 01:42 PM
It would be kind of cool if we had a poll of what people are using for motor/tranny/diff... ...not that I'm swayed by polls... :hidebc:

We have about 3 of those thread every week.

WyattH 02-06-2006 11:12 AM

It's Monday. Should I start this week off?
Just kidding. :)

WyattH 02-06-2006 01:01 PM

I tried reading all of the threads, but it seems hard to navigate.

Would I want strait 90, or 75w90 diff fluid? I live in PacNW where climate is moderate and temps range from 40-80 year 'round. Car is garaged.

And with that climate, would I want 0w30 (like Mobile 1 R?) or up to 10w40? I see people using those and everything in between. Thanks!

Let me try to summarize: 5w40 improves oil consumption, but loses HP. 10w30 gives better power, and better mpg on longer drives???? I think 10w30 would be better for my driving and climate. and I'll go with strait 90 Redline MTL tranny fluid, and LE607.

Hockey 02-07-2006 09:29 AM

I use the following:

- Motor Oil - Mobil1 10w30, OEM PCX-004 filter with an approx 7500 mile interval.

- Tranny Fluid - Redline MTL with a 30k mile interval.

- Diff Fluid - Mobil1 75w90 with a 15k mile interval.

- Brake Fluid - ATE Super Blue with a 45k mile interval.

NOTES:

These intervals are taken directly from my MY00 owner's manual according to the "severe conditions" schedule.

Redline MTL has helped to eliminate the notchiness associated with the early model year S2Ks, while giving a longer interval life than GMFMSM (General Motors Friction Modified Synchro Mesh).

After switching to Mobil1 in the diff, the magnetic plug shows little to no slime and the fluid is clear - unlike OEM fluid which is opaque and smelly.

I have used both Halvoline Dot3/4 "ABS" brake fluid and ATE Super Blue at different times. Both do a great job for street applications. I find the ATE is easier to tell when you have a complete flush because of the color change of the fresh fluid (bright blue).

My car currently has 122k miles on the odometer with NO major failures (knock on wood :) ).

-Hockey

Hockey 02-07-2006 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by WyattH,Feb 6 2006, 03:01 PM
I tried reading all of the threads, but it seems hard to navigate.

Would I want strait 90, or 75w90 diff fluid? I live in PacNW where climate is moderate and temps range from 40-80 year 'round. Car is garaged.

And with that climate, would I want 0w30 (like Mobile 1 R?) or up to 10w40? I see people using those and everything in between. Thanks!

Let me try to summarize: 5w40 improves oil consumption, but loses HP. 10w30 gives better power, and better mpg on longer drives???? I think 10w30 would be better for my driving and climate. and I'll go with strait 90 Redline MTL tranny fluid, and LE607.

You get a little cold up there. I would recommend Mobil1 75w90 in the diff, and Redline MTL (70w80) in the tranny.

I also say stick with the recommended 10w30 weight for the motor. Unless you are having consumption issues, I don't see the point of varying from the OEM spec.

-Hockey

jasonw 02-07-2006 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hockey,Feb 7 2006, 10:29 AM
I use the following:

- Motor Oil - Mobil1 10w30, OEM PCX-004 filter with an approx 7500 mile interval.

- Tranny Fluid - Redline MTL with a 30k mile interval.

- Diff Fluid - Mobil1 75w90 with a 15k mile interval.

- Brake Fluid - ATE Super Blue with a 45k mile interval.

NOTES:

These intervals are taken directly from my MY00 owner's manual according to the "severe conditions" schedule.

What made you go with Mobil 1 over Redline for the diff?

And I thought the "severe" intervals were 1/2 of what you quoted... I guess I'll check again but, I've been using much smaller intervals.