S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2001 AP1 hesitation and stuttering at low RPM

Old 07-17-2018, 06:39 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Hope the O2 sensor does the trick. Does sound like momentary richness, which maybe the old O2 sensor wasn't up to task?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like you have a bad valve adjustment on there. I know you said you’ve had them adjusted, but it’s not hard to check correct specs. Buy yourself a set of bent feeler gauges, then go back and double check the lash on the valves... I’ll bet you’ll find that they’ve all tightened up past spec.

My AP1 has a replacement F22 head on it, with the work having been done fairly recently.... everything ran fine last summer, but after about 500 miles of running it this spring, it bogged, threw misfire codes, and idled very poorly. I did the IACV, I cleaned the MAP passages, etc, but came to find that every single valve in my head was tight. Yikes. I’ve since adjusted them back to spec, and then again after another 1500 miles. No more codes. No more idle issues.

Last edited by VashTheStampede; 07-17-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede
Sounds like you have a bad valve adjustment on there. I know you said you’ve had them adjusted, but it’s not hard to check correct specs. Buy yourself a set of bent feeler gauges, then go back and double check the lash on the valves... I’ll bet you’ll find that they’ve all tightened up past spec.

My AP1 has a replacement F22 head on it, with the work having been done fairly recently.... everything ran fine last summer, but after about 500 miles of running it this spring, it bogged, threw misfire codes, and idled very poorly. I did the IACV, I cleaned the MAP passages, etc, but came to find that every single valve in my head was tight. Yikes. I’ve since adjusted them back to spec, and then again after another 1500 miles. No more codes. No more idle issues.
Definitely won't hurt to check. Have ordered some feelers and will check the lash. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-10-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede

checked the valve adjustment a few weeks ago and a few were definitely out of spec by a little. Took my time and fine tuned them (first time doing a valve job so probably took me longer than necessary) but ever since I’ve had no issues with hesitation! When I try to recreate it, it sometimes seems like it wants to do what it did before for maybe a quarter of a second but not prolonged like before. Could probably fine tune it a bit more to be perfect but if you never knew it before you probably wouldn’t notice it at all. Thanks Vash for the suggestion and help!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Just wanted to share I had similar problems after I bought my car. Bucking/ kicking, hesitation. Looked and felt like I couldn't drive stick.

The minor fix for me was replacing the IACV entirely; after trying to clean it with no difference, I took the black plastic part off and found it full of rust, making the little shutter/rotor part stick. Replacing that solved a lot of my low RPM bucking/stalling, not all though.

There was a low-tier (cast) skank2 throttle body on the car when I bought it, the butterfly would stick really bad on a warm day. (no wonder they sold the car in the middle of winter. lol) It was hardly noticeable on a cold day (still happened), but warm day/warm motor it was game over, could hardly drive the car. Never seemed like the TPS was right either, even after spending a bunch of time adjusting it.

Replaced it with a used stock throttle body from ebay and haven't had a single bucking incident since.

Last edited by mikeyds; 09-06-2018 at 06:54 AM.