S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   2001 S2000 vibration when accelerating (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/2001-s2000-vibration-when-accelerating-1194139/)

s2kazem 05-13-2019 07:05 PM

2001 S2000 vibration when accelerating

I started getting this vibration after i lowered my 2001 s2000. the vibration feels like its coming from the rear/ center of the vehicle it only vibrates during hard acceleration and stops when i let go of the gas pedal. I have replaced both rear axles and even tried swapping the cv cups but vibration is still there. I also put rear axle spacers to see if that helps but still no good.

can anyone help me?

lane_viper 05-14-2019 12:01 PM

More than likely its the axle cups.

Before your car was lower, grooves were worn in the axle cups. Now that it is lowered, you axle hubs are shifting out and back into those grooves, causing the vibration.

You can do 1 of 2 things to fix them.

1. you can get new axles. kind of expensive, and a little bit of work replacing them
2. swap the axle cups right to left and left to right. By swapping them, the worn grooves are moved to the opposite side of the axle cups, and the axle will have a fresh side.

I did the axle cup switch on mine, and it solved the vibration you spoke of. Doing a search on this reveals it seems to be a common problem when cars are lowed after a few miles have been put on them.

noodels 05-14-2019 01:13 PM

^What he says..

JasonMG 05-14-2019 04:20 PM

? Was there an edit.

OP said he already tried replacing axles and swapping cups, then two people suggest he do those two things.

Zer0ne 05-14-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JasonMG (Post 24601879)
? Was there an edit.

OP said he already tried replacing axles and swapping cups, then two people suggest he do those two things.

No there wasn't. Read this last night and since he already tried those things I couldn't think of anything else. Maybe wheel balance or diff/suspension bushings? :shrug:

lane_viper 05-15-2019 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JasonMG (Post 24601879)
? Was there an edit.

Sorry didn't see where he had already done both of my suggestions.

I would suggest checking the Diff and transmission mounts.

I also put in a new set of Diff mounts on mine.

These are what I put in.
https://innovativemounts.com/collect...-series-manual

Hope you find the solution to your issue.

xxyion 05-15-2019 03:20 PM

Have you tried axel spacers? Supposedly that should fix the issue as well. Not an expensive part either,

Car Analogy 05-15-2019 06:07 PM

Reading comprehension people!

Hey, you said you replaced both axles. With what? Aftermarket axles on this car are known to be awful. Wondering if original axles had typical wear (fixable by bucket swap or spacers), but first fix attempt was new aftermarket axles, which fixed first issue but added a new one, with near identical symptoms. Only after new axles were replaced was bucket swap and spacers attempted.

If that is the scenario, it explains all. Put original oem axles back on, with bucket swap or spacers.

twohoos 05-16-2019 09:01 AM

^Yep

lane_viper 05-16-2019 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy (Post 24602265)
Reading comprehension people!

Hey, you said you replaced both axles. With what? Aftermarket axles on this car are known to be awful. Wondering if original axles had typical wear (fixable by bucket swap or spacers), but first fix attempt was new aftermarket axles, which fixed first issue but added a new one, with near identical symptoms. Only after new axles were replaced was bucket swap and spacers attempted.

If that is the scenario, it explains all. Put original oem axles back on, with bucket swap or spacers.

If I remember correctly, the Axles aren't identical from left to right. Meaning one is longer than the other my a small amount. If they were installed incorrectly, that could also cause an issue.