S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2002 AP1 with 18K mileage

Old 03-12-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

You wanted to add some color. I put the CR radio door in my '06 to subdue the glaring silver color lid -- rest of the interior is almost all black. Nice accent.

Much wider tire selection in 17" sizes and the lower tire profile provides a stiffer sidewall. OEM 17" tires have the same outside diameter as the 16". OEM wheels are getting scarce. There are reproduction "AP2V1" wheels normally available on Ebay. Guys who've purchased them state they're good wheels. Those who haven't think everything from PRC is going to self destruct.

-- Chuck
Old 03-12-2018, 06:39 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Nice car. I also added the CR radio door. I also swapped out the shift ball for a Honda OEM round aluminum one with yellow numbers to match my Rio Yellow.
I noticed your horn is different than the one in my 2009.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

ahhhh very beautiful. congratulations.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 AM

how much was it?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Some Silkolene Pro-Prep would really make that engine compartment really P O P!!
Never heard of it but I’ll look it up. The engine bay is as I bought it. I haven’t had the time to get into it and detail it. It was just that clean. I’ve always used Turtlewax ICE detailed or a bit of low gloss Armor All. Not a big fan of anything that’s greasy though because it looks great initially and then collects dust, which ends up as dirt. Detailer has worked well for me but I’ll check out the Silkolene. Appreciate the suggestion. Always up for trying something new

Originally Posted by Chuck S
OEM wheels are getting scarce. There are reproduction "AP2V1" wheels normally available on Ebay. Guys who've purchased them state they're good wheels. Those who haven't think everything from PRC is going to self destruct.

-- Chuck
Indeed getting hard to find. I most definitely want 17’s for all reasons stated above and then some. I have a few other places to check but I’ve struck out so far. I’ve seen the EBay wheels. They LOOK great but I’ve also worried about their construction. My guess is they’re not death traps but nothing to write home about either. I really have my heart set on CR wheels. That gunmetal would really work with the Suzuka exterior. Classy, yet aggressive. One of the well known refurbished wheel companies has the CR rims in replicas. If it’s my last resort, we’ll see. It won’t ever see the track but I’d rather have OEM and I’ll pay the diff. My OCD wouldn’t be happy with anything that’s not refurbished.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Lovely car. I just bought a 2003 Silverstone over black ap1 with 17K miles. Bone stock with an OEM hard top. I have two ap1's now.

I moved to 17" wheels as one of the first mods I made to my 02. But, I have come back to 16". I prefer the 16" wheels and tires for street driving. I find them slightly more comfortable, and the car feels more lively. I have a set of ap2 v3 wheels that I may unload sometime this year. I also had a set of Volk ce28 wheels. The Volks are really nice looking, lightweight, and strong wheels. If you go to 17" you might consider a set of Volks.

I like the look of that CR Radio door. I might do the same.

Enjoy your beautiful car.

Last edited by rpg51; 03-12-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 AM

^
AP2 wheels was one of the best improvements for handling over the AP1 wheels. but you're right, less lively.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Lovely car. I just bought a 2003 Silverstone over black ap1 with 17K miles. Bone stock with an OEM hard top. I have two ap1's now.

I moved to 17" wheels as one of the first mods I made to my 02. But, I have come back to 16". I prefer the 16" wheels and tires for street driving. I find them slightly more comfortable, and the car feels more lively. I have a set of ap2 v3 wheels that I may unload sometime this year. I also had a set of Volk ce28 wheels. The Volks are really nice looking, lightweight, and strong wheels. If you go to 17" you might consider a set of Volks.

I like the look of that CR Radio door. I might do the same.

Enjoy your beautiful car.
My first color choice would have been a white AP2 with red interior but this car was too nice to pass up. The history was clear as well. My second was Silverstone. Sounds like you got a great car yourself.

If you decide to let the V3 wheels go soon, shoot me a message. Might be interested depending on how clean they are. I’d really like to stick to the OEM look, if possible. Rays makes great wheels, I’m just not sure they are what I’m looking for stylistically. Same with the Enkei line.

The radio door is a simple and cheap mod and I chose the CR door because it blends well with the gray accents on the dash and console. I like the silver in the AP2 but it’s too bright for my car. If you have questions about the spring or anything regarding the process, I’d be happy to help. That spring will fall out on you before you get the chance to see how it goes. Just remember that the short arm goes on bottom and fits in a little notch on the door to stay in place. Everything else is cake. Should take you about 30 minutes, start to finish, if you know how the spring goes.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Here is where I am at re wheels, (pic below). If you aren't into the 16 inch wheels, consider the Volks again. They might give you the best of both worlds. They are light and lively wheels. Ap2 oem, not so much. I know most folks seem to think the 17" tires and wheels improve performance. Maybe so. But, I did not find that to be the case.

Tell me - is that radio door something that you could easily put back to OEM at time of sale? I might take you up on that offer of help. My car is in storage probably for another month. More snow today and tomorrow. Ugh.

Last edited by rpg51; 03-13-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Tell me - is that radio door something that you could easily put back to OEM at time of sale?
Very. Just as easy to put the original back as it is to put the new one on. Probably easier since you’ve done it before.

Quick Reply: 2002 AP1 with 18K mileage