S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

3 Secondary Shaft Bearings replacement

Old 10-08-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 Secondary Shaft Bearings replacement

Hello all,

After much research I believe the issue I have been having is that my tail shaft bearing is going out. I have found some really helpful instructions on how to do a lot of the steps here:
https://www.s2ki.com/...-bearing-noise/

I just called my local Honda dealer and they said it would be $700 for parts and labor (tail shaft bearing only). So I've decided to try and tackle the job myself. What I need help on is specifying a few additional details and questions I have before I dive into this job! I would consider myself mechanically inclined (I know how to fix a lot of things) but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to fixing cars, especially when special tools are involved

So here's the instructions provided by Peter Pantless in the DIY that I've broken down into steps for myself:
1. Drain the transmission fluid
2. Remove the driveshaft (removing the loop will give you the clearance you need).
3. Remove the cover to thetunnel housing and the shift knob.
4. Remove the second boot withthe white plastic ring by forcing it slightly outward at the four arrows.
5. Remove the three boltsholding in the shifter followed by the shifter and the spring.
6. Remove the four boltsholding the shift galley onto the top of the tail shaft.
a. You'll need a universal andmechanical finger to do it from inside. You may be able to do it fromunderneath if you lower the tranny all the way, but you'll be doing it blind.
7. Raise the car back up andlower the tranny as far as you can.
8. Remove the four boltsholding the shifter galley onto the bottom of the tunnel.
9. Reach inside the shiftergalley and you'll feel (1) 12mm bolt holding the shifter fork onto the linkagerod. Remove this bolt all the way.
10. Remove the companion flangefrom the back of the tranny with an impact gun and a 36mm socket. You may needa puller to remove the flange once the bolt is removed. Don't lose the nylonwasher or the o-ring.
11. Remove the bolts holdingthe tail shaft onto the tranny.
a. The top two bolts arelonger than the rest, make note for reassembly.
12. Once all the bolts are out,you can start to wiggle the tail shaft off.
a. You may need to pry it abit, but it should come.
13. Once off, the tranny oil pump gear will be lose. The tail shaftholds it in, so set it aside until reassembly.
14. To remove the secondaryshaft, I had to pry out the rear seal then using a brass punch, tap the shaftforward until the aft-most bearing slid off.
15. Once the shaft was free, anassortment of pullers and slide hammers were used to remove the other two forwardbearings. All three bearings were pressed onto the shaft, so each one requiredsome sort of force to remove.
16. Reassembly is everything inreverse.
a. The trickiest part isputting the shifter fork back onto the linkage rod. It helps of the tranny isleft in Neutral the whole time.

MT SECONDARY SHAFT:

The parts I am going to order are:
(9) 41384-PCY-000 SHIM D (68MM) (0.99)
(10) 90203-PCY-000 NUT, HEX. (27MM)
(11) 90402-PL9-000 WASHER, SPRING (27MM)
(12) 91005-PCY-003 BEARING, BALL (31X55X13)
(13) 91123-PCY-004 BEARING, TAPER (41X68X20)
(14) 91124-PCY-004 BEARING, TAPER (35X68X19)
(15) 91201-PCY-003 OIL SEAL (40X60X9)
(16) 91301-PCY-003 O-RING (28X2.6)
(17) 91302-PCY-003 RING, BACK-UP (28MM)
And some MTF of course

Now my questions are:
- Does my parts list include everything I'll need? Do I even need all of these parts? I am planning on replacing all 3 bearings since it could really be any of them making the noise, not just the tail shaft right?
- Can I do this on jack stands? I'm going to have a very difficult time finding a lift (I'd rather just pay the $700... than spend time finding someone who would let me use their lift). Would it be safe to jack the car up on all 4's with jack stands and would I have enough clearance to do what I need to do? As long as it's safe, I'd like to do it this way. This is assuming I'm not taking the transmission off of course.
- The tools mentioned (that I don't have) are:
1. Slide hammer
2. Pullers (I think I can get a set of pullers that some with a slide hammer right? can someone help me find a good inexpensive set that will get the job done?)
3. Brass punches (err I googled these, anyone have a good recommendation?)
4. Do I need to get a shop press? If so... I'll get one from Harbor Freight and hope that a wheel bearing goes out at some point so I can get some extra use out of it
5. "Universal and mechanical fingers" - what is/are these? Is it just one of those wrenches that pivots at the end?
6. Impact gun - I don't have one of these, been meaning to. Do I really need one for this though? If so, I guess I'll get one. Anyone have a good recommendation?

I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible before trying this

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did last week, its very easy!
I did it on jack stands without problems.
and you just need 12,13,14,15,16 and HONDA Bond
the only differents tools you need is
1) (10,12,17,36)mm socket
2) 1 ft socket extension
3) 8mm allen key
4) shop press*** important!
5) impact gun
and I use the slide hammer for remove the FLANGE, COMPANION.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
Hello all,

After much research I believe the issue I have been having is that my tail shaft bearing is going out. I have found some really helpful instructions on how to do a lot of the steps here:

I just called my local Honda dealer and they said it would be $700 for parts and labor (tail shaft bearing only). So I've decided to try and tackle the job myself. What I need help on is specifying a few additional details and questions I have before I dive into this job! I would consider myself mechanically inclined (I know how to fix a lot of things) but I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to fixing cars, especially when special tools are involved

1. Slide hammer
2. Pullers (I think I can get a set of pullers that some with a slide hammer right? can someone help me find a good inexpensive set that will get the job done?)
4. Do I need to get a shop press? If so... I'll get one from Harbor Freight and hope that a wheel bearing goes out at some point so I can get some extra use out of it
5. "Universal and mechanical fingers" - what is/are these? Is it just one of those wrenches that pivots at the end?
6. Impact gun - I don't have one of these, been meaning to. Do I really need one for this though? If so, I guess I'll get one. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Thanks!
Did you ever fix the problem and is there a link to the instructions to fix the problem? Thanks!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 559s2k
Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1381277125' post='22817906
Hello all,

1. Slide hammer

Thanks!
Did you ever fix the problem and is there a link to the instructions to fix the problem? Thanks!
I ended up not doing this repair myself. I went to a local shop. There is another one of these threads with the same problem where I posted more about the process the mechanic did (he let me stick around and learn some stuff).
Old 01-07-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
Originally Posted by 559s2k' timestamp='1420681560' post='23460149
[quote name='jkelley' timestamp='1381277125' post='22817906']
Hello all,

1. Slide hammer

Thanks!
I ended up not doing this repair myself. I went to a local shop. There is another one of these threads with the same problem where I posted more about the process the mechanic did (he let me stick around and learn some stuff).
[/quote]

Where there tasks that had to be completed that required special equipment (other than the press for the bearings)? I want to take the secondary shaft out and just take that to a shop with a press tool and have them pull and press it there. I figure that will lower the expenses for the repair. Please refer to my thread here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...haft-bearings/

Also, I can't seem to browse your posts even though I have tried searching. If you would, can you please let me know the ball park price you paid for the repair? Thanks
Old 01-08-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by 559s2k
Where there tasks that had to be completed that required special equipment (other than the press for the bearings)? I want to take the secondary shaft out and just take that to a shop with a press tool and have them pull and press it there. I figure that will lower the expenses for the repair. Please refer to my thread here: https://www.s2ki.com/...shaft-bearings/

Also, I can't seem to browse your posts even though I have tried searching. If you would, can you please let me know the ball park price you paid for the repair? Thanks
To be honest (from my memory), the toughest part was getting to the point where you're able to slide out the secondary shaft (with the bearings). You have to loosen some trans bolts and let the back end (output shaft end) down to be able to get it out. Pressing the bearings is easy. You'll pay a shop $50-75 just to do that part or your could just buy a press for ~$100 and have it for other things down the road.

I paid about $475 parts+labor to replace all 3 secondary shaft bearings. Honda (at least the one I used to live by) will charge you $1,200+ just to replace the tail shaft bearing, and somewhere around $1,700 to replace all 3.

The output shaft bearing can be pulled with a claw puller and slide hammer and then using brass punches you can get the new one back on the shaft without a press. I almost went this route because I've heard this is the most common one to fail, but I'm glad I didn't because it was one of the other ones for me that was horridly damaged and this is something I wouldn't do on jack stands. It's a pain to get to a lot of those bolts and even worse is putting it all back together while on your back. To do the other 2 bearings you definitely need a press, though.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(9) 41384-PCY-000 SHIM D (68MM) (0.99)
(10) 90203-PCY-000 NUT, HEX. (27MM)
(11) 90402-PL9-000 WASHER, SPRING (27MM)
(12) 91005-PCY-003 BEARING, BALL (31X55X13)
(13) 91123-PCY-004 BEARING, TAPER (41X68X20)
(14) 91124-PCY-004 BEARING, TAPER (35X68X19)
(15) 91201-PCY-003 OIL SEAL (40X60X9)
(16) 91301-PCY-003 O-RING (28X2.6)
(17) 91302-PCY-003 RING, BACK-UP (28MM)

Are these part numbers for a ap1?