S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

4th to 5th mis shift

Old 02-25-2018, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lesnev2000
There are two groups, those that admit it and those that do but say they don't.
Exactly lol... I know it's not the smartest thing to do and would never do it on a crowded road, but literally no one was out. But I know 95% of us have done it at some point in life, I mean we are car lovers and like to go fast from time to time.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:16 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Egebrecht
Exactly lol... I know it's not the smartest thing to do and would never do it on a crowded road, but literally no one was out. But I know 95% of us have done it at some point in life, I mean we are car lovers and like to go fast from time to time.
Ignore what some of the others said and don't be hard on yourself as a result of their negativity. You didn't damage your car, that's all that matters. You can shift so rest easy. No one's perfect
FWIW the KA6MT we all have and love is a very precise gearbox. It takes time to master and is so rewarding once you do. Those shifts are unmatched in feel and smiles factor! I find the best way to shift it is to grab the shifter firmly in the cup of your hand from a top down motion, not with your elbow at an angle but parallel to the centre console (if that makes sense visually).
Old 02-27-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Ignore what some of the others said and don't be hard on yourself as a result of their negativity. You didn't damage your car, that's all that matters. You can shift so rest easy. No one's perfect
FWIW the KA6MT we all have and love is a very precise gearbox. It takes time to master and is so rewarding once you do. Those shifts are unmatched in feel and smiles factor! I find the best way to shift it is to grab the shifter firmly in the cup of your hand from a top down motion, not with your elbow at an angle but parallel to the centre console (if that makes sense visually).
Thanks friend! That's actually the first time in along time I've missed a shift lol, was a little scary at first cause I thought I went to 3rd but realized what happened.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Since the over rev question has been answered...

I tend not to slam the higher gears.

For one, there's no point. Just shift normally.

And two...if you engaged 3rd at 100+, the engine would be the least of your worries. Your locked up rear wheels causing a massive, uncontrollable spin would be the worry. Idk if anyone has covered this yet.

Its like if someone yanked up the parking brake at 100mph without you realising it.

I've mis-shifted at the track and ended up deep in the off-road forest. It happens pretty quick.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by B serious

And two...if you engaged 3rd at 100+, the engine would be the least of your worries. Your locked up rear wheels causing a massive, uncontrollable spin would be the worry. Idk if anyone has covered this yet.

Its like if someone yanked up the parking brake at 100mph without you realising it.

I've mis-shifted at the track and ended up deep in the off-road forest. It happens pretty quick.
I figured that would be the case! Luckily that didn't happen and it just did not make it into 5th, but damn sure scared me. Last time a mis shifted was probably 8 years ago at the drag strip. So no mis shifts in 8 years seems pretty good lol.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Egebrecht
Thanks friend! That's actually the first time in along time I've missed a shift lol, was a little scary at first cause I thought I went to 3rd but realized what happened.
You're welcome
Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by B serious

I understand where you're coming from but the higher the RPM and speed the faster you need to engage the next gear otherwise if you shift like you would at 5000rpm while you're at 9000rpm then you will lose a lot of revs and have a clunky/harsh shift causing you to lose time/speed depending on what you're aiming for at the time. And it feels awesome to slam them awesome gears into place. It just begs for it! The satisfaction of getting it right is great. Of course getting it wrong is a possibility and no one wants that so playing it safe at times is still a wise course if you've had a bad experience before like you unfortunately did. Glad it didn't turn out worse.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:00 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Yeah, I think you'll be fine. I did a miss-shift once coming off the freeway --- Salinas off-ramp to Monterey. Cloverleaf. Went briefly from 6th to 3rd by accident (missed 5th). [Goes to show you how good the synchros are. The transmission never complained about this miss-shift]. As I let out the clutch, the R's rose very rapidly and the rear end started to jump up. I immediately put in the clutch and went to 5th.

When I got back from trip, I changed the tranny fluid. More for my peace-of-mind, rather than the car needed it. I've had zero problems with the transmission since.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:15 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Its not the trans you need to worry about its the motor. Its good yours broke traction, that probably helped save the motor from overrev damage.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
I understand where you're coming from but the higher the RPM and speed the faster you need to engage the next gear otherwise if you shift like you would at 5000rpm while you're at 9000rpm then you will lose a lot of revs and have a clunky/harsh shift causing you to lose time/speed depending on what you're aiming for at the time. And it feels awesome to slam them awesome gears into place. It just begs for it! The satisfaction of getting it right is great. Of course getting it wrong is a possibility and no one wants that so playing it safe at times is still a wise course if you've had a bad experience before like you unfortunately did. Glad it didn't turn out worse.
You trying to convince people into capetown driving, my bru??

The higher gears (4, 5, 6) are spaced much more closely than the lower ones. So RPM drop out of powerband isn't an issue.

And slamming the lower ones causes a secondary "launch" and will help increase momentum. But this won't work with the higher gears. So there's no appreciable acceleration gain in slamming the higher gears.

The 4 to 5 shift is also the most awkward one. Its not natural like 2nd to 3rd. The shifter springs to center. Its best not to slam 5th (or 6th) because its VERY easy to get it wrong AF.

Slamming 4th is a gamble in a LHD car. If you pull towards yourself (the tendency is to pull toward yourself), you'll go into 2nd.

No point, bruv. Nothing good can possibly come of it.

Quick Reply: 4th to 5th mis shift